Best Stabilizers

I haven’t tried the retooled ones yet, but I wonder if I’d notice. I typically use an amount of 3204 in my stabs that would make sandpaper move past each other smoothly.

Are plate mount stabs making a comeback? I’d absolutely love it if they got good enough to make screw-ins obsolete.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the ones I have are retooled or not, but they’re kinda scratchy, even when lubed, and they seem pretty sensitive to warped space bars. Overall they’re better than the random trash that tends to come with hot-swaps but I’m definitely looking for something better as a stand-by for plate-mount builds.

1 Like

I doubt they’re going to supplant pcb-mount stabs any time soon due to needing a plate, needing a plate that specifically supports them, and general stability, but there are certainly more boards that ask for them now and vendors/manus seem to be recognizing that there’s open space in the market so we could see some major improvements to them in the near future that might make them more attractive to the community.

3 Likes

Durock V2 stabs launched, don’t know how they are though.

https://415keys.com/collections/stabilizers/products/new-v2-durock-stabilizers

2 Likes

Has anyone purchased from this site before? Never heard of them.

415 Keys? A few people used them for the V2 UHMWPE stems and seem to have had a good experience. I just placed an order with them last night, so I hope thats the case.

2 Likes

I can’t answer this question in detail right now, but I received the C3 Everglide V2 stabilizers from the TKC Drop, and they are now in an XD87 with Art BOX Browns.

I haven’t used it much yet, but so far they seem to be smooth and unproblematic. But we’ll see. Allegedly, the V2 reduced the issues experienced in V1.

1 Like

Has anyone already had experience with the Durock v2 stabilizer?

I am the kind of guy who always has to have everything perfect. So I want the best switch films, the best springs, the best lube and also the best stabilizers for my keyboard (even if it doesn’t make sense in terms of cost). I’m now considering whether the stabilizers from zealpc are still slightly better than durock, especially since Durock v2 should prevent wire popping out.

1 Like

i dont really have any experience with zeal stabs, but i do have some Durock v2 and i cant really feel any smoothness or rattle difference between v1 and v2. but v2 does prevent the wire from popping out really well, although i experimented a little bit and did end up breaking the little hook that holds the wire, but i did use a lot of force when that happened so i wouldn’t say its something that’s likely to happen.

2 Likes

Yup, ordered some at keygem.store in EU.
I’ll see for my next build how they compare to C3(that I love).

For the consideration of this thread, Durock Plate Mount stabilizers. I saw people talk about these on a discord server and figured that they’d be worth talking about here as well. (For those who are unaware, Durock and Everglide are the same, but Durock is the more well-known name when it comes to this stabilizer manufacturer). I haven’t purchased any since I don’t have any plate-mount boards, but they seem like they’d be a good alternative to Cherry plate mounts, which people often describe as mediocre. Apparently, Divinikey will be receiving a shipment of these sometime soon, so for those who are looking for a good plate mount option, this might be it.

7 Likes

Ooh thanks for the heads up! I’mma need to see if I can snag some from Divinikey for my NK65 soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For sure. They’re pretty solid. Durock didn’t improve much around the slider tolerances, but their design for preventing the wire from popping out is awesome. Perhaps a frankenstab to get the best of both worlds.

ZealPC (left) and Durock v2 (right)

img-1_zoom

6 Likes

Thanks for the comparison between the two stabilizers. So I understand it correctly that you still feel Zeal Stabs a bit smoother? (but the redesign with the preventing the wire from popping out is awesome)

1 Like

Oh they’re both incredibly smooth. I can’t discern any difference. However, ZealPC’s tighter slider tolerance is a stab-rattle killer. I’ve never popped out a stab wire myself, but I hear it’s not a good time. It’s really what matters most to you. But if you frankenstab them, you won’t have to settle.

4 Likes

The pictures that we truly needed to see!

2 Likes

I might be wrong, but I believe that extra rectangle of plastic on the bottom on the zeal stabilizer insert is designed to break inward as you insert the wire.

I always use zeal or durock stabilizers. After lubing I cannot tell a difference. I use 205g0 on the housing inside and the sides of the insert. I coat the ends of the wire in superlube (dielectric grease) before putting them in.

3 Likes

You’re right. More of a bend I think, allowing the wire to rest on the area it creates for itself.

img-1_zoom-2

5 Likes

In the name of science, I purchased some “Genuine” GMK plate mount stabilizers from Kebo thinking ZealPC was slipping. I should have known better. :unamused:

TLDR; there’s a huge difference between the two. Below is a ZealPC stab insert showing the extra material designed to bend around and cradle the wire upon insert. Seems like a solid solution for preventing unwanted vertical/horizontal wire movement or rattle. It looks like NK_ makes a point to use the word “Authentic” when describing their plate stabs, so there might be something going on here.

Is GMK “Genuine” code for cheap clone?

4 Likes