Box Cream Switches!

Man, I’m excited to see how these turn out. If they’re good, they’ll be a more-than-worthy replacement to the TTC Golds i put in my hotswap board - those things are yuuuucky!

I think these switches use new moulds because these are 5-pins switches, not 3-pins like other silent box switches.
that would explain the full travel :thinking:
edit: or these switches aren’t silent at all

Trivia time!

There have actually been 5-pin Box switches out there for a while now, but they’re pretty much exclusive to the Korean market unless you use a proxy. Called “Art Box” switches, they were commissioned by a company called Archon, and two other differences are a better factory lube job and a tapered top housing for North-facing Cherry compatibility (like the Box Silents have) - these pre-dated the Box Silents and still have the square stem.

Edit: I forgot to mention Crystal Box switches, which also have five pins. Crystal Royals, for example, are a toned-down but refined version of the original with an all-clear housing and comparatively mild tactility.

5 Likes

Some very early first impressions here.

A photo:

Comparison with Silent Box Brown stem:

4 Likes

Box creams came in today!

My first impressions: these are going to be a good recommendation for someone looking for purely stock switches. There is zero spring ping (the opposite of my experience with stock normal creams), and they are actually surprisingly smooth. Granted, I am the one who made a post a few months ago about how I like the normal cream scratch, but these objectively are smoother. The springs on these feel lighter and less “progressive” imo. I really liked the feeling of the normal creams springs and these feel a little different, like they’re consistently light throughout the whole key press.

The big downside for me is the sound. They sound significantly thinner than the normal creams, with none of the thick clack that I enjoyed from the latter. To me, so much of the appeal of the creams was the sound that these were pretty noticeably different.

edit: @Deadeye beat me to the punch!

7 Likes

They look cool though. That’s definitely a plus in this game of switches that all feel pretty much “good” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mounted these in my tester board today - they popped in with a satisfying crunch, not too loose, not too tight.

So far, I think the switch these remind me of most is the Gateron Yellow - but with the sound and relative firmness of POM and the stability of a newer generation Box switch. Noice.

Another thing I can say about these is that they don’t seem to suffer from the slight bind-y feeling when pressed slowly - and unlike the first generation of Box switches (ignoring the fat-stemmed ones), these appear to have a nice, consistent resting position.

On the whole, these seem like a positive evolution for Creams and Box switches alike. I don’t usually type as well with linears, but I managed one of my fastest typing speeds yet with these - something about them provides positive enough feedback for them to feel intuitive to me.

7 Likes

Do the tops creak a little bit like stock MX Creams do? Because that’s the one thing that kills my enjoyment of those switches.

I haven’t had that happen yet - they seem pretty snug.

same here. they are very uniform and consistent in terms of sound so far

I will be building them into a Fourier later this week. I think they will feel great with the FR4 plate.

1 Like

I plan to build up a UT47 kit I have lying around with these for soldering practice - I bet they will play real nice with a good FR4 plate!

2 Likes

I’m not a fan. Got them today. The springs feel way too light for me. There is a scratch that you can’t get rid of. It’s much rougher than a normal cream. Just feels overall more unstable to me. The biggest appeal of creams to me was the bottom out feel and sound. That signature sound and feel is absent. I honestly can’t tell a difference between these and a box red switch in a blind test.

I did lube one with 205g0 and it sounds much better. Still kinda scratchy and bindy on most presses though. They are similar in scrach feel to a Gateron Caps switch but with a bit more wobble.

1 Like

totally agree on the sound part. the biggest appeal was that lovely clack of the creams, but it’s not present here. however, i’ve found these to be a great break from my majority jwk-glide feeling switches, so they’ll be a part of my lineup still.

the springs are so much lighter than the normal creams I’m still actually surprised at this decision.

Just need time to flash the Pro Micros… then I can give them a proper test.

5 Likes

So I just pulled-down my jar of regular Creams to start comparing these, opened it up, and woah there

When I first got these in the mail there was a little smell, but after being in an air-tight jar for a month or two… well. :skull:

I think I’m going to give all my jars with POM switches some ventilation.

3 Likes

10 Likes

Stick a dryer sheet in with them. It really eliminates the odor.

2 Likes

So what do box housings do compared to normal cherry stems for example?

I believe the main advantage and reason for the box name is that box switches have their contact leafs boxed in to prevent dust from getting into the contacts and causing issues.

3 Likes