What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Switch day! Milkshake switches are striking, glad I grabbed a bag.

14 Likes

Nice Pickups! Let us know how you feel about the BOX Creams when you have a chance please! I am super interested in them because of the low weight springs. Hoping they’ll be less scratchy than regular Creams also!

5 Likes

Unexpected arrival today. Acer 6512 with Acer dome with slider switches. Probably the most boring purchase for this month.

8 Likes

The Box Creams are a little scratchier than a stock Alpaca and may have a higher pitch as well. But they are still quite smooth. They definitely feel like they have a shorter travel.

It does have a feel that is distinct for a linear and hard to describe.

They could be very good in their own way, and/or require breaking in.

They are also scratchier than the Milkshake switches that I ordered, but it is an unfair comparison because the Milkshakes are factory lubed (quite well I might add).

Won’t know until I build something with them.

Fish smell is less than the batch of NK Blueberries I got a while back.

4 Likes

Those resemble WYSE DCS keycaps to some extent! Although without the yellow arrow keys. Profile is more curved than Cherry unless it’s R0/R5.

But those surely aren’t Comptec/SP keycaps, so it must have just been in fashion at the time. Heavily-sculpted rows with a bluish gray-white Dolch pattern and a thinner Alphas font.

I prefer this to Cherry, TBH.

1 Like

My Box Creams came in today as well.

I haven’t mounted them yet, but I did take one apart. The internals more or less look identical to a standard Box / Art Box switch - though it’s easy to see they have a modest application of lube from the factory.

Despite sharing stem and top housing shape with the silent Box switches, this one is not dampened. Travel distance is very slightly longer - any less and I wouldn’t be able to see the difference side by side, but it is there.

First impressions in-hand - well, I like them more than regular Creams so far. They feel nice and stable, and while they don’t exactly skate, the travel does have a nice feel. There’s some light texture in the travel, but I don’t think I’d call it scratch per-se.

Now this is kind of interesting:

The stem doesn’t replace the (bottom) dampening pads with plastic, it just deletes them. (Top ones do appear to be replaced with plastic.) I’d have thought this would make for a more pronounced difference in travel distance - this makes me curious. I’ll share more as I find it.

18 Likes

Have you had a chance to get a good typing session on the Pewter switches yet? How are you finding them?

1 Like

Ooh that’s interesting! Good to know.

It makes SA spacebars useable for me. Works well on KAT too. The only downside is using it on bars with lighter spring switches as it add some weight. I’m about to fill up a Bbox60 case with the stuff, lol.

1 Like

Sound tests please

Maxi-Switch Model 2186002XX with Maxi dome with sliders + Double shot keycaps!! Also, an extra long coiled cable for whatever reason. Don’t know why they even made this, but I’m glad they did.

8 Likes

Unfortunately I’m not the guy for that, lol. I have no suitable recording equipment.

I haven’t yet, but I plan to do a typing test today—along with a typing test for a switch I got in the mail last week but have yet to post about :eyes:

2 Likes

I appreciate it. I will try and check back later. I am tempted to try these. I might just have to bite the bullet and pick up some!

1 Like

So TIL Space Cables has some the best customer service in the game! A couple weeks ago I ordered a jar of Krytox XHT-BDZ, 2 USB-A ends, & 2 USB-C ends for cables. They forgot to send one of the USB-C ends. No big deal, it’s a small inexpensive item. I contacted them & they said no problem we’ll mail you one out as soon as we can get back into work (they’re TX based & were dealing with the crazy weather happening down there at the time).

Today I got to my mailbox & find a big ass chonking box from Space Cables in it? At first I thought maybe they mixed my address up with someone else’s order TBH. I open it up & not only is the single silver USB-C end they forgot to send me in there, there is also an extra gold plated USB-C end, one of their nice stickers, a fricking deskmat, & a note saying “sorry for the mishap & thanks for your business here’s a deskmat to make up for it”!? I was floored, needless to say they’ve just become my exclusive supplier of anything cable related! This was some true above & beyond stuff to me, to the point I almost feel bad taking it! So if anyone was wondering if Space Cables is legit, here’s proof they are & then some!

Oh I also came across someone selling loose SKCM undamped creams (bottom of the pic) on ebay & got those in today as well. They were ridiculously priced ($3 & change per), but I figured I better grab some for my switch collection cause it’s not like you see them everyday, LOL!

12 Likes

GMK Dark Icons and Deviant kits came in today. Still looking for base kit :mag:

5 Likes

Trying something new.

10 Likes

That mat is awesome

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah it is kinda crazy they picked this one to send me cause I almost bought one when they released them, LOL!

SKCM undampened Creams?!?!? Wow, that’s rare. Do you have SKCM Browns or Greens? Those are rare and (waaaay) too expensive to lol

1 Like