Cherry Hyperglide switches

Saw that earlier this year cherry released an update to their MX switches called “hyperglide” and upped their rating to 100 million actuations. The press release indicates the new switches have extra guide rails for wobble-free operation and durability. (This was the same time they released their Viola switches)

Cherry press release:
https://www.cherrymx.de/en/blog/100-mio.html

The only vendor I could find with them:

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on them?

5 Likes

seems like increased contact surfaces or “glide rails” would equate to more friction and more scratchiness. But I’d be interested to see them reviewed at some point.

1 Like

I wonder when someone gets the idea for making the stems out of teflon.

Will be interesting to see a teardown / comparison.

Edit: Hmm, did they partner with https://www.hyperglide.net/ or just rip off the name. lol

I’m all about Linears, so if these are a positive development, I’ll more than likey keep some of these on the side. But I’d sooner explore a different make, then to return back to a switch make that I know well.

1 Like

I agree Cherry is not super relevant in the enthusiast community. But they did create the base design that was cloned out. Its possible they could make a come back. I heard that they were recently sold as well.

4 Likes

I think ‘hyperglide’ version is not a special version but just an upgrade to the mold of 4 Cherry switches, meaning all new Cherry MX Red, Brown, Black, and Speed Silver switches will be like this. That said, I don’t think NovelKeys carry the new version yet.

Bizarre thing is that there are now typing test videos of the new version but no teardown images nor videos. Weren’t they even curious enough to desolder and open up those switches? Weird.

Well, I sure hope the new owners are MK enthusiasts. It’s clear Cherry let their products stagnate while the competition walked all over them.

2 Likes

For those that are wondering the company / investment group, that bought out Cherry is Argrand

1 Like

someone on youtube said they were comparable to JWK smoothness, but with cherry sound

2 Likes

I’ll believe it when I feel it for myself. That would be quite the game changer for linears :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This 100%, I’m in the same boat as you thinking more contact points will lead to more friction & a overall scratchy feel. If I had to take a guess I’d say Cherry is probably adding some factory lube to all of them sans blues.

3 Likes

Stumbled across this on r/mk. It’s a comparison between vintage, retooled, and the new hyperglides. Visually, huge improvements on those side rails for sure. Sound test included.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ym7ZZz7

4 Likes

Thanks for the link to photos and sound test. Glad they haven’t thrown out the best feature of Cherry blacks: sound. It’s hard to tell what changed but my guess is the change is mostly in the housing instead of the stem. It appears they reduced the gap between stem rail top surface and housing.

Based on my polishing experiments, top stem rail top surface was not always in contact with housing, at least not as much as stem rail sides and edges. Top part of stem leg sides also seem to be more in contact with housing now. Assuming this is what they meant by increasing the surface area, I think the benefit is not in the sound but in the feel of the switch, making it feel tighter and more solid.

I am going to get a batch to polish. Maybe they don’t need polishing at all which is best for everyone.

UPDATE: Looks like that UK store is the only one selling them. Going to wait til they’re more generally available. It’d be great if NovelKeys can make them available in the US at a more reasonable price.

4 Likes

When we’re talking about these being as smooth as some other linear, do remember what happened with retooled blacks. New molds made switches smoother, then each batch after seemed to be less smooth.

I’m speaking purely from the perception of retooled blacks I’ve seen in the community over time. I still use stock cherry blacks and am fine with them.

1 Like

Thank you I couldn’t find this comparison anywhere!!!

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if Mike stocked hyperglide version of Cherry blacks and priced them higher until mold goes dirty and smoothness drops. I’m assuming molds will be still reasonably fresh, of course.

1 Like

I wonder if all cherry switches are getting this retool applied to them, I would very much be interested in some retooled clears myself to test how different (and hopefully better!) they would end up being.

1 Like

if cherry could somehow pull the enthusiast market back to them, it’d be pretty wild. i hope a US vendor gets some hyperglides in stock soon. i’d love to see a hyperglide speed silver. cherry mx black is just a little too heavy for my tastes.

2 Likes

Just got a batch of hyperglide blacks in yesterday. In terms of smoothness, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being an H1, I would say these are at least a 7-8 stock. Obviously they sound way better.

Looking forward to lubing them and putting them in a board.

5 Likes