Cherry MX Whites Source

Thanks for the heads up and checking on your board. Definitely going to do a check on all switches before they get wired in. Not that a slight difference is a big deal but click/no click would drive me nuts.

Thanks @Lesbian I’ll keep my eyes open.

So you actually went ahead and lubed Greens and did not wind up with Whites, in fact the resulting switch was horrible, worse than a Brown, and you threw it away.

But, we’re still calling MX Whites “lubed Greens” because theoretically, not in practice, that’s what they feel like.

You know what? I think I’m gonna take my Ducky to the next meetup and sit it right next to the Monolith. It’s a magical unicorn, I shall label it as such.

Edited to note that I think this is funny, I’m actually laughing right now, and science etc.

2 Likes

So MX Whites are lubed, but not in the way we as enthusiasts would think of it. They are just lightly lubed on the slider rails of the click jacket & not at any other points.

Also I have made the mistake of trying to lube MX Whites into submission in the vain attempt at gaining consistency across a batch of them (@pixelpusher’s description of lubed MX clicky switches is spot on IME) & have ultrasonic cleaned some of those. IME with all three types of MX Whites (stock, lubed with VPF1514, & cleaned) the most consistent ones were the ones cleaned of all lube. Which behave, sound, & feel almost just like MX Greens, because well for all intents & purposes they are at that point.

I think @beaker’s experience with his Ducky board is because Ducky probably ordered their MX Whites without the factory lube. He is not the first person I have heard say they have/had a Ducky board with consistent MX Whites in it (although he is the first to offer up the evidence) & he says all of his click to this day. With stock MX Whites the sound really isn’t a click, it’s more of a reverberation through the spring, metallic type noise vs the sound of MX blue/greens (or cleaned MX Whites). So venturing a guess I would say Ducky probably ordered their MX Whites without the lube on the click jacket, just so they could say they offer the full range of Cherry switches & not deal with the inconsistency.

2 Likes