Cristo-Lubes Mini-Review

Don’t use Christo on the springs, in fact I highly recommend against using greases for springs. Use an oil like Krytox VPF1514, GPL 104/105, Victorinox oil, etc. The results are much, much better IME. With greases you can only apply a little bit to the top & bottom of the spring, even then they can still come out feeling sluggish. Oils on the other hand you can drown your springs in & as long as you let the majority of the oil run off in an over lube situation the springs will still be dead quiet & just as snappy as without lube.

2 Likes

How have your stabilizers held up with Cristo Lube?? I only lube stabs now (no. more. switches. so. much. time), so I’m looking at possibly replacing my usual 3204. Been having issues lately with it wearing off on some stabilized keys and experiencing the return of some slight rattle.

2 Likes

I always use sticky dielectric grease on stabilizers (where the wire goes into the insert). I have used christo on the sliders but I don’t know how much noise those really make anyway.

Superlube would be horrific for a switch but I find it ideal for stabilizers

2 Likes

Have used 111 on four boards. I did put a lot (both on the metal/plastic and plastic/plastic parts), and it has been only 2 or 3 months. But for the moment, the stabs on 3 of them are still all very smooth, without any resistance, and no rattle.

Can’t check the 4th, gave it to a friend with a bunch of tealios. But he’s not complaining.

3 Likes

I occasionally relube stabs, regardless of lube type, usually when some undesirable noise surfaces after messing with a keyboard’s internals. Not a regular thing but inevitable nonetheless.

And, yes, Christo-Lube is still my favorite stab lube. As to which, I usually go for the mid, 112, but I think others are just as good because differences are minimal. 129 is a little sticky but not excessively so.

5 Likes

Very well actually! The first board I used it on it’s stabs was my Redscarf probably a little under 4 months ago & the stabs still feek & sound great. I did move to using MCG-112 exclusively for stabs as it seems to fit my feel preferences perfectly, but I have tried 111, 112, & 129 on stabs with great results across the board. The 112 just seems to give the best result to me.

3 Likes

How’s 112 vs 111 for switches? How much harder is it for newbies?

1 Like

Actually all three are very forgiving IME & others. Christo is not as sticky as other lubes so it’s easier to control how much you’re putting on & even if you do overlube a little there isn’t nearly as much sluggishness with Christo lubes vs Krytox or 3204. I think it would be easiest over done with MCG-129, but 111 & 112 both feel very similar to me,

Personally I still prefer 3204 & 3203, but MCG-111 & MCG-112 from Christo work just as well. Also I think working with Christo would be easier for newbies since it is a white grease which makes it much easier to see heavy spots & how much you are putting on in general.

1 Like

Since my girlfriend is new to builds, I think I’m gonna give her some MCG-112. She didn’t like sluggishness of my overlubed blacks with 3204, so something that’s both not thick and easy to apply sounds utterly perfect. Now to find some spring oil for her…

2 Likes

TX springs come with oil and a neat storage box which doubles as a spring lube Station.

2 Likes

I think the 112 would be a good lube for her to start with! Also I would probably have her lube a few with varying amounts before starting the whole batch just to see how much product on the parts she’ll like.

1 Like