Custom Keycap Puller

A genius made a custom keycap puller that looks like it uses a handle similar to a knife. I love the craftsmanship put into this. I believe somewhere that where sold in a very limited buy (not sure if it is the same person).

I do not have the tools or skillset to make something of this quality. But I am thinking about making something similar with a screwdriver handle using a Dremel, resin or solder, and a cheapo keycap puller. Realistically not expecting it to be any better then a regular keycap puller but A E S T H E T I C S. These are the screwdriver options I have (leaning towards the PB Swiss red one or Wera green/black).

Does anyone know anything more about the knife handle ones? Or seen anything similar out in the wild?

7 Likes

Got some info from @mfchill (thanks!) about the Reddit Key pullers

The Reddit key pullers are made by oTEMPE5To who has sold a few:

https://www.instagram.com/tempe5t_keycap_pullers/

https://keyboardtreehouse.com/collections/all/products/artisanal-keycap-pullers-by-otempe5to?variant=35862703112347

On my screwdriver conversion adventure. I wanted to see how possible this was so I hacked up my cheapest Craftsman screwdriver. Cutting off the metal shaft, no problem easy work for the Dremel. Drilling out the tool hardened steal $%@#$. Regular drill bit didn’t work, titanium drill bit useless. Dremel grinding stone barely worked. Now that I think it is possible I will try with one of the nicer ones but I am a little weary on how much of a pain its going to be on high end swiss metal…

1 Like

Can’t you simply just buy screwdriver handles? :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks! that would be signifigantly easier lol. Looks like file handles are fairly common option. I have a couple of multibit screwdriver that would work and are already hallow but going for something that is just the right size and weight.

Fortunately I decided to Google how to remove a screwdriver from a handle before I messed with my nicer screwdriver. :man_facepalming:

This worked really well took about 3 minutes.

So now I just have to figure out what glue/ epoxy to use. Also keeping everything level/straight is going to be challenging.

Done! Went with hot glue. If it fails I will replace that with epoxy or resin. Used lots of painters tape to keep everything straight. I used it to remove a full set of keys so far no problems. Happy with the result.

I have another one prepped out to go from a razer blade handle just waiting on a sacrificial keycap puller to arrive. Both handles have a nice soft grip texture and weight to them. Feels much nicer then the plastic ones.

6 Likes

Nice! :+1:
Now make a butterfly one. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You should do ones color matching with each of your keycap sets :slight_smile:

1 Like

But if you want a good one to use I think a T-handle would make the pulling swift. :thinking:
I mean, who pulls the vinecork out with a straight handle…

The keycap puller was working great until 2 year old got ahold of it. The hot glue was no match for her… Fortunately I rebuilt it even stronger. This time I took a keycap puller and cut out a cylinder of plastic using the Dremel until it just barely squeezed inside the screwdriver handle. Then used pliers and pressure to push it down securing it in place. Finished it off with a piece of heat shrink. This set of keycap puller wires also needed to be polished so they slid over the keycaps smoothly (another case for the Dremel and some left over diamond polish). It is rock solid now and looks better than v1.

Build

Unfortunately I didn’t have any handles that were tshaped lol. But anything you can drill into will work :slight_smile:

Trying not to do this but I will be ordering a few more handles soon lol.

Random thought there could be something on the wirepuller to eject a keycap that way you can go down a board super quick taking all the keys off. I tried a bunch of thing but couldn’t find anything that would work just right. Going in a different direction I added a piece of plastic that allows ejecting the keycaps by pushing it to open up the wires and drop out the keycaps. It works and is a one hand operation but I am not sure if this is a real “problem” or not.

7 Likes

damn a modded keycap puller, thats pretty cool

1 Like

i really liked your wirepuller mod so i tried my best at making a 3d printed version to attach to my own puller (its far from perfect im not the best at making 3d models)

5 Likes

I love your 3d design especially how it keeps the wire opening action in the middle.

I did quite a few experiments and I really think the rubber band is the right attachment method because it can be customized for each puller hand size.

This is as far I have gotten is is a slight improvement on my original. I like yours better nicely done! :smile:

i still have a lot of work to do on it, its far from perfect. but honestly its pretty practical and im definitely gonna use it next time i have to take of some keycaps.
ill gladly share the file when im somewhat done with it. it should fit on most pullers

1 Like

Designed some custom wood handles with a friend of mine. I think they came out pretty cool.

9 Likes

those are slick, turned on a lathe I assume? how are the metal rods affixed?

2 Likes

You got it, they were turned on a lathe. Puller wires are attached with epoxy. Unfortunately I didn’t think to take any pictures from the top before I packed them up.

2 Likes

The best screwdrivers I’ve ever used consist of three qualities. 1) snug fit in hand 2) quality hardened metals 3) shank of rod extends all the way to the tip of the handle

I assume atleast a couple of these qualities would be desirable in a artisan keycap puller. In theory, with the handle being designed around the metal pulling hangers, one could fashion a quality keycap puller without any epoxy. If the wire in the handle was looped and a pin was driven through the loop, the wire could never be pulled out. Much like pins on knife handles.

3 Likes

I’ve been using my Swiss Tools screwdriver handle keycap puller that @Dave gifted me and honestly I’d recommend it to anyone interested in DIY-ing your own keycap puller since it’s just so comfortable compared to the cheap thin plastic handles you’d normally get

9 Likes

That idea wormed its way into my head and I got a “bit” obsessive compulsive…

• GMK Hero
  • (red isn’t my favorite keycap color so will call it a “spare” for now)
  • GMK Modern Dolch
  • GMK Nautilus

(Photo is blurry until blown up. My phone camera can’t handle the different bright colors)

That completes everything I wanted to do with this project, now its your move GMK…

If anyone is feeling adventurous it takes me about 1.5 hours to complete one. Build Log:

8 Likes