Do you have a build that is flawed but lovable?

Here is a small tutorial of setting up Costar stabs.

For the plastic inserts , be sure to clean them well of any lube that might got there or in the keycap stem. It’s interesting as I had different Costars stabs and only encountered that looseness in a WASD board as well as you. At that time I used small pieces of paper to make them sit snug ( take out spacebar, insert paper+plastic insert,mount spacebar into the wire and then put in position)

You could also hunt down or ask @ for some extra inserts, they came with some JTK sets at one point and they’re also available on aliexpress type websites among the stabilizers.

2 Likes

Back in like 2015 I wished every board used costar stabs. I found them (once installed…) to be much less finicky and superior at stabilization when compared to Cherry stabs.

The state of the art in lubing and proliferation of screw-ins has caused me to reevaluate Cherry stabs somewhat.

2 Likes

when you’re scuffed board is a rama m65-a you DRILLED into the PCB of. :sweat_smile:
seriously though micro usb makes it basically worthless :frowning:

1 Like

First world problems huh?

IDK, maybe the rust matches the caps

4 Likes

I can’t see any rust but this looks great

1 Like

A stock HHKB Pro 2. The stabs on this thing are awful, really need to get around to lubing them.

It’s a dream once you lube the stabs and sliders. Good luck!

Not sure if this qualifies, but I’ll probably never see full cherry coverage, though I think the mini ADA keycaps, actually blend quite nicely, with the Cherry profile alphas.

4 Likes

Not bad. Did you mod the GHB? What is the quality of the ada caps?

1 Like

I modded the GHB keys, with a dremel, using a cone shaped carbide bit.

The ADA keycaps are sturdy, but they really need to move to a double shot system, once they can afford the tooling. The infill, was starting to develop a gray tint on the WASD cluster, but held up fine every where else… Kind of odd, if you ask me. Note, I don’t type with dirty hands, so I’m assuming, that the issue, was one of sweat or finger oils and pressure from gaming, that was causing the discoloration. Will have to post a pic later.

2 Likes

You’ll just have to adopt the ‘it adds character’ attitude :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I actually like the way the mix of ADA and Cherry profile look together. just couldn’t deal with the ADA WASD keys having a gray tint. From a laid back position, it was super noticeable and wouldn’t clean up with isopropyl.

Pics new vs 2-3 weeks heavy use and Modified GHB:
https://imgur.com/a/vm5tVdM

Video How deep does the infill go:

The Video is pretty boring. just me digging out the infill. The infil does go pretty deep.

The keycaps, were worse then I remember. The infill looks ok in bright light, but in normal to dim light, it loos pretty gray. Pretty much all of the alpha’s were starting to show the gray… I wonder why infill isn’t done in a better material, it seemed chalky and kind of chipped away.

I was working from home, and my keyboard saw 8-16 hours of use per day, for about 2-3 weeks, before I did the EnjoyPBT swap.

3 Likes

it’s alive…It’s Alive…IT’S ALIVE!! And it’s little brother got some attention too. @ddrfraser1 turns out you give good advice.

5 Likes

Awesome!