Does the 60% keyboards are really unpractical?

Space FN + IJKL for arrows better then HHKB layout :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

5 Likes

Is an ANSI/ISO keyboard with almost half of its keys removed practical? Yes, if you have no practical use for those keys.

:+1:yep…agree with you,Bro

Bro,the shortcomings of 60% keyboard are also obvious,but i am still huge fans also,because i’ve had it for 4 years. :grin:

:+1:Nice

wooh…good idea :smile_cat:

Lol, I am this accountant :laughing:

:+1:

you r right, Bro!!!

Amazing :joy:

:joy:

I like layouts with dedicated arrows, too, but 60% is my favorite layout overall so far.

I know it’s merely cited and not OP’s opinion, but 60% has been around for ages and comes and goes in popularity like others. The post referenced calling it a fad for morons is not just mean but uninformed. (Again, I know this is not OP’s opinion and am not pointing my finger at you/them, just commenting on the screen grab.)

My setup uses a single layer above baseline. I do use Caps Lock, but I make holding Caps Lock a layer key. My other layer keys are SpaceFn and a dedicated hold layer key (a Fn key) either as part of the split right Shift or on the bottom row.

I can then use WASD or HJKL (Vim-style) arrows and access function keys while retaining all the baseline modifiers. So I can select text word by word by clawing either the left or right lower corners, and I can arrow back and forth for corrections without my hands ever leaving the home row. SpaceFn is also ergonomic for reaching function keys with just a slight reach; I think it’s more ergonomic than having a farther-removed dedicated function row. This also works for Delete.

M0 and M1 are for switching Windows desktops.

Certain tasks can be easier with dedicated function keys. I rarely miss arrows, since WASD is very natural for me. I’ve actually set this on my main 65% board, now.

4 Likes

I am a dotnet developer. Visual Studio is my IDE of choice, though I am enjoying Rider lately. Being able to navigate files and lines of code via arrows is important to me. I also need the full range of all function keys for debugging. And I use every single one of them. So for the longest time I was convinced that only the TKL could satisfy every need that I had.

But then I started carrying my HHKB on travel days. And I forced myself to use it in Visual Studio. It took me a couple weeks to adjust, but I fully believe that I am now more efficient at writing code than I was before, because my hands are moving way less. Now going back to my standard TKL seems foreign. The HHKB taught me that 60% really did have everything I needed and nothing I didn’t. If the best software engineers display a mastery of their IDE, then it makes sense to likewise display a mastery of their keyboard.

Today I use the basic 60% pokr layout with a few adjustments suited to my personal tastes:

Stepped capslock, Winkey, split right shift, split backspace, HHKB arrows. This sets me up for the most success.

Here is my daily driver. Fjell with DCS 9009.

9 Likes

60% would be the maximum that I would use. I switch for daily right now between a Banime40 (3x5 Grid) and an HHKB Pro2. I’m still a bit getting used to the keymap on the 3x5, but once I really get used to that, also 60 feels really too big sometimes.

1 Like

It does remind me of the “meme” you see a lot on Reddit, etc: “Why doesn’t ______ just ______, are they an idiot”

“Why don’t you have a keyboard with arrows and F-keys, are you an idiot”

I don’t know if it’s an communications issue or just a knee jerk reaction that you can’t do anything about but the major disconnect is the idea that a “keypress” has to map 1:1 to a “key.” As @WayToBlue mentioned, it’s far more efficient to keep your hands in place and use arrows, F-keys, etc.

4 Likes

I just found this interesting keyboard, it may helps you to resolve your problem.

On the other hand. I found it is a perfect keyboard for PUBG in this game.

1 Like

Thanks ,guys :blush:

I would argue that a 60% keyboard makes you appreciate your keyboard more.

1. You end up using every single key – you’ll end up using lots of layers, so each key gets a lot more keypresses. Unlike larger layouts where majority of the time, the buttons remain unused
  2. You train up muscle memory – yes, this means that there is a learning curve in getting used to the board. But in turn, you spend much more time with the board, building up the muscle memory and making the keyboard feel a lot more like something special for you, and not a soulless device haha
  3. I think a huge benefit of the smaller form factor means you can position your keyboard in a more centered position on your desk/with respect to your monitor. This aids a lot with ergonomics

With layers - the HHKB’s 60% has the same functionality as the Model M’s full-sized layout, with a whole lot more space savings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Less switches to buy, lube, and film.

mic drop

8 Likes