Easing Into Linears

Can anyone compare how BOX Reds and Blacks compare to today’s hot new linears?
(Gat Inks, Tangerines, Alpacas, etc.)

My preference:

Gat Inks, Tangerines, Alpacas, etc. > BOX linears

2 Likes

How the hell can you tell spring preference from one switch?

1 Like

eh I would probably use it as more of a spot check for whether I would want to try putting together a bunch of them. I didnt end up getting one of these though because in the end it didnt seem worth it

I think it’s potentially useful for comparing different types of springs and extracting last few drops of revenue from market already saturated with switch testers.

If you lube switches then as Don said you cannot go wrong with Inks, Tangies, Alpacas, etc. I find Tealios to be pingy, but if lubed they sound and feel great as well.

If you don’t lube your switches, then Box red and blacks are just as smooth as unlubed Alpacas, etc. and it comes down to your sound preference and whether you like the shorter travel of the box switches.

2 Likes

I had bought long (16mm) springs from TX keyboards in 3 different weights: 57g, 60g, and 62g. 57g was good but tad weak. 60g was great, light yet lively. Yesterday, I finally tried full board of 62g longs.

When tested alone, the weight was fine. Even the full board felt just fine initially. Bouncy and playful. Perfect I thought and pondered ordering more but deferred decision after using the board for a few days.

This morning I started using the board and, in just 30 minutes, I started to feel the extra weight tiring out my wrist. I’m fine with SPRiT 63.5g but apparently not with long 62g. In the end, I ordered more 60g longs. Longs make switches more playful but I think most people will have to dial down from numbers they’re used to.

5 Likes

I didn’t notice too much difference between the 14mm and 16mm 62g springs in linears (I’m probably too heavy handed). Granted 14mm 65g is my bare min for linears, and I prefer the 14mm 67g overall. I originally bought the 62g springs to test in larger bump tactiles like U4/U4T Bobas in which the 16mm springs did make a difference with a bit more tactility for the weight. But this is the wrong thread for those impression, lol.

1 Like

I used to detest linears because the Cherry ones I tried ages ago felt wishy-washy.
Now I’m typing on lubed and filmed Gateron Ink Black and I like them.

What should I try next?

Any JWK/Durock!

2 Likes

I got a local source for Durock L7, JWK MOMEI, Original Aspiration and EV-02. Any favourite?

Alpacas or Lavenders :joy_cat: but they’re all very similarly smooth. The biggest differences you may run in to are both sound profile and stem wobble. The OAs are pretty!

Hey guys, I’m looking for something new to try with a future build and would like the switches to have a deep thock. I found 3 options, the cheapest is Blue Velvet (PME housing, POM stem), the ending-today is POM Glacier Panda (all POM), the most expensive is Pewter (UHMWPE housing, POM stem). What would you go for yourself?

1 Like

Sorry but none of the three options are appealing to me.

• Pewter is tactile so off-topic.
  • Glacier Panda is made by BSUN which so far hasn’t establish a name for itself in the linear game.
  • Blue Velvet’s PME housing could be interesting but typing sound in reviews I watched wasn’t that attractive.
3 Likes

Thank you, good points. I was leaning towards POM Pandas, the other version of those sounded nice, but yeah, the linear is too new to tell. Will probably wait it out then.

1 Like

FYI: Drop selling new Kailh box creams rn, $47 for 70 switches. Needs 27 more orders to hit MOQ. Estimated ship date is beginning of June.

This is a light linear switch: 45g to initiate and 55g bottom-out. Usual 4mm travel for Kailh.

FYI: Same switch is in-stock at NovelKeys for $49.

2 Likes

thank you

1 Like

Cherry black boards now dominate my daily rotation. Other boards with top of the line linear switches feel and sound boring, only deepening my appreciation the classic switch.

I plan to rebuild the remaining boards when I have time to make more polished blacks. For now, I’ve rebuilt my macro pad with leftovers I polished recently. Not sure how long my latest bias or fetish will last but the itch to hoard a lifetime supply of the switch is growing. Might not be a bad idea given it’s not clear what Cherry’s new owner’s plans are.

8 Likes

Someone bought Cherry? When did that happen?

Also, what particular style of blacks is the best to you, post-polishing? Retooled? Hyperglide?

1 Like