Fun Between your Legs! (Cycling Thread)

But what if it had a screen simulating you going out places? :joy:

Just add a fan blowing at your face for realism

1 Like

Like typing and watching TV at the same time?

… and watching a hacker movie?

(SCNRE)

Haha, I don’t disagree. Definitely rather be out on the road but it’s freezing up here in the Northeast…

1 Like

Hows the Neo? Thinking of picking one up as an upgrade to my paincave.

Do you Zwift?

To be honest, I don’t have much to compare it to other than an older cycleops roller trainer. It is considerably nice than anything else I’ve used at home or at the gym.

I just started with Zwift and having the resistance adjust automatically is pretty convenient. Not to sure about this “road feel” rumble capability, it still feels like your bike is attached to a trainer… There is a decent amount of flex so it doesn’t feel like you’re completely locked down.

It’s not bad.

I was lucky to write for a cycling blog for a few years as a second job. This is the collection I have left.

Diamondback full carbon road bike built up with Campy Super Record.

Titanium Sage Skyline v2 built up with SRAM Force and Fizik full carbon cockpit. This is my all time fav bike. The frame handles so well, and is SUPER responsive to accelerations, but always manages to be comfortable for all day rides. I will never part with this bike. Reynolds Assault carbon wheelset

My commuter - All-City Mr. Pink, full fenders, Shimano Ultegra drivetrain, with Gevenalle shifters. SL-K / Thompson cockpit. Oh, and some amazing Paul Components brakes. The wheels are H-Plus Son rings with Paul Components hubs. That rear hub makes the best buzz noise, beats Chris King hubs any day of the week on sound.

The last of the USA made Cannnondale CAAD9 frames! My cyclocross bike was a fun project many years ago. It has a full SRAM Red drive train, Raceface / Thompson cockpit, hand-built wheels, and a one-off gold prototype Praxis chainring set! Oh, and also Pual Components brakes. The front fork is a Ritchey WCS carbon fork with customer paint from Ruckus Composite. I have one-off matching paint carbon fiber fenders to go with the bike as well that they made.

7 Likes

I wrote for a cycling blog for a few years, and I got one of these in for review. It has massive fork chatter under braking. Do you have that same issue? I swapped out the fork and brakes up front to a Ritchey fork and some frog leg cantis and it resolved the issue, but if I had owned it, that would have been a spendiy fix.

We have (had? since I am full WFH now) at our gym at the office. They are a lot of fun TBH and I am seriously considering getting the Schwinn version and an iPad / mount to use at home.

I just picked this beast up yesterday (rode it home 14 miles by myself lol). It has a beautiful paint job and is in great shape, it’s from the late nineties when Trek was still making bikes in the US and is in great shape, it looks like the previous owner took really good care of it. The size is perfect for me and my girlfriend, and if we like riding it together there are lots of upgrade paths to make it a fun project.

7 Likes

Wow that’s definitely going to be fun between your legs!

Tandem Cycling has been a mix of the most exciting and the most dangerous cycling I’ve ever done :smiley:

2 Likes

tbh I’ve never really ridden one, we’re going to go take it to a parking lot to start out to make sure we know how to get on and off and stuff. I think the key is going to be to start slow ease up to doing some crazy awesome rides.

1 Like

Good Call, my main tandem experience was meeting up with my friend at a Bike Shop, getting drunk, and both of us pedaling on the tandem as hard as we could…

Yeah we didn’t crash, but we sure as hell snapped that chain XD

I think the hardest part is probably just getting used to turning since it can’t exactly corner like your tried and true road bike hehe

3 Likes

uh-oh haha. So many legendary stories start with ‘I was drinking at the bike shop’… I kinda miss those days.

1 Like

As a (former) bike mechanic, I appreciate seeing (in this thread) fixed gear bicycles with clipless pedals (my preferred way) and even a front disc brake! Contrary to popular belief, brakes actually make you faster :wink: Cool bikes all around.

Here’s mine:

Can you guess what it does? :smirk: It’s not my bike, but someone at our shop put it together. It’s fun to ride!

5 Likes

One of those is mine haha, it’s just such a fun way to ride. I worked in bike shops for a bunch of years, it always nice to bump into fellow mechanics.

1 Like

Well, two guesses: It’s obviously that the chain goes twice over the rear axle. But why? So here are my guesses:

• It doubles (or halves) the transmission ratio?
  • Only one of the gears on the rear axle is fixed, the other is loose, and it reverses the pedaling direction, i.e. you pedal backwards, but drive forward?

Close. It’s called retro-direct and drives forward in both pedaling directions. Pedaling backwards provides a second (easier) gear ratio.

4 Likes

Hehe, so actually it’s a combination of my both guesses. Nice! Thanks for sharing this nice oddity!

1 Like

I’ve never owned a road bike before, but have been considering getting one.

Been looking at a few different bikes that could fit my budget like;
Specialized Allez

Allez Sport

Content 3

Trek Domane AL 2

Are some that I’m looking at to name a few.
The used market around me is pretty bad (even before Covid) since in many parts of where I live the cycling infrastructure isn’t that well built up.

Are there any other bikes in this price range I should consider?
Things to look out for?

2 Likes

I love the Specialized Allez. I rode the Allez Sprint X1 for a couple years. The Specialized Diverge is also a good one to consider. It has a bit more of a relaxed geometry and clearance for wider tyres, if you ever wanted to go down the gravel route or just wanted to fit more cushy rubber.

1 Like