Fun Between your Legs! (Cycling Thread)

Very cool!

I have one on my city cruiser bike.

5 Likes

Off topic, but…
pac
MFW I realized where your profile image is from.

1 Like

I got a new cambrium saddle and Paul stem for the road bike, it is extra fun now

2 Likes

The paul stem :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s soooo nice. I really like Paul stuff, I have their hubs on my other bike (not a lot of options for fixed gear through axle hubs lol) and they’re so smooth and totally bombproof.

Anyone have any good recs on a front rack bag? I’ve been using this big trader joes tote but it’s like pretty ugly and kinda awkward shaped for the the rack

Anyone here using IGH ? (internal gear hub)

I have a Nexus 8 Alfine on my Trek and it’s pretty nice excepting the fast wear of the rear cog that is made out of composite material and wears out in @1500 km. I feel like the Trek TAB belt drive is not too optimal/budget friendly as 2 cogs + belt = 130-140 Eur+ shipping.

I already got the parts for converting to chain, but I’m also thinking of selling the bike and get an IGH with Gates Belt drive, with metal back+pedal cogs.

• Current bike - Pro: wear the current drive & convert to chain ; Con: Maxed out 35c tyres, my total weight is at max because Covid&newborn

• Thinking of bike Pro: supposes more durable transmission, 40c tyres support my weight better, more comfort in geometry; Cons: 400-500 Eur difference to upgrade

1 Like
1 Like

If you can afford it, get the thinking of bike! Life is too short to not ride the bike you want.

It’s just too bad, I’m guessing, your current rear hub doesn’t have a freehub body compatible with any gates cogs.

1 Like

I think that’s actually exactly the one I’ll probably end up with, my sister has the bright orange xpac one and is probably going to sell it, the color just doesn’t match my bike like at all haha. I was sort of looking for something that would be easier to take on and off, I wouldn’t want to leave that locked up on there for example at the grocery store…

I’ve been living the no car life for a lot of years and have had a lot of bike backpacks, I have the ILE “standard” bag right now and I have to say it is probably my favorite one I’ve ever had, although my zakkpac gets more use when the weather is good which is usually in California

Would this be easier to get on and off?

1 Like

Oh hmmmm maybe, that’s pretty cool, I hadn’t seen that one before, thanks!

I had to get out touring at least once before the year ended! Bike packing and u l t r a l i g h t are all the rage these days but I’ve been touring like this for a long time and this bike is a workhorse and feels great fully loaded.

4 Likes

Not a bike exactly, but I just picked this up. Very excited to upgrade from my old fluid trainer. Had to let a few of my keysets go to partially fund it, but its worth it.

1 Like

I had a nice New Year’s Eve ride yesterday (and I’m planning to get out again today), even managed to find some gravel to hit

6 Likes

Have you guys seen that Walmart.com is selling high-end bikes?
Robot or human?

Apparently it’s a bike company started by the Wal-mart heirs. They look legit

That’s interesting, but I can’t say I’m onboard at all. Besides the obvious ways Walmart is problematic (destroying small businesses across America over last many years) these guys have an unproven track record, for a bit more money, or probably the same amount of money with maybe a lesser group set you could get like a specialized or trek or giant, who have a proven track record. These do look to be much higher quality than the standard fare walmart sells, about ten years ago I was working in a bike shop when Walmart started selling that $100 “fixed gear” the quality was so poor that we actually refused to put them in a stand in the shop and advised people to take them back because of how unsafe they were. Again this does look like it’s of pretty decent quality though.

This looks to me like a move to do the same thing they have done in other areas, which is to eat into the business of local bike shops. If you buy a $2k bike at any halfway decent local bike shop they’re going to take good care of you, usually free 60 day tune up, they’ll do adjustments here and there for you for free, maybe discounted accessories with bike purchase, they’ll probably remember you when you come in, etc. Walmart ain’t doin that. The markup on bikes is pretty high, that’s where a lot of the revenue from shops comes from. If you buy the high end bike from Walmart, they don’t have a bike shop (as far as I know?) and so you’re going to have to take it to a local bike shop for service, I doubt that they’re going to be particularly friendly and want to service it either.

Just my two cents.

2 Likes

Anyone have any biking goals or projects for the year? I signed up for the Day across Minnesota , a 240 mile 24 hour gravel ride, so I’ve got a lot of training to do to get in shape for that by the summer. I also got a banging deal on an awesome 2005 litespeed vortex frame in exactly my size that I’m working on building up as a dedicated going fast road machine.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. I try to buy all my bikes locally, even thought I’ve come to loathe some local bike shops. Their customer service can be very poor, even when you spend thousands with them.

2 Likes

Yeah it def can be hit and miss, IMO it’s best to find the one you really like and then only go to that one. I ended up finding a great one that was a bit farther than the one right by my house but it is def worth it for the quality of service

1 Like