Funky Frankenswitches

I just made a batch of these with Sprit 63.5g progressive and I love em. Putting them on a board soon.

5 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m a complete novice to modding switches and I just rummaged this up from the stuff I have lying around.

I really donā€™t have a name for it but here we are.

NK Cream Top/Bottom housing
AEBoards UHMWPE Tactile Stem
Gateron Yellow spring
Lubed with 205g0, legs left unlubed

Iā€™m not very knowledgeable on tactile switches, but from what I can tell these feel real smooth. Tactility is more Zealios than HP, but absolutely zero scratchiness and a pretty nice thockiness on bottom out. The stems are extremely wobbly, though. Not unusable, but really bad tolerances.

7 Likes

Cool. Have you tried films?

I plan to when they come in stock at my local place, circumstances donā€™t allow for international stuff.

Will help with the wobble.

1 Like

Lilac Tea

• NK Ink Kangaroo housing
  • Kailh Polia stem & spring
  • Smooth and clean :tea:
  • Round, wide bump :egg:
  • Bouncy & gentle :rabbit2:

Take a walk on the mild side.

This simple mod yields a more clean tactile profile than a Polia while taking off the 'Rooā€™s sharp edge.

Flavor-text:

Do you want a silky-smooth Ink tactile with a bit less 'tude than the NK Kangaroo? Well. If the 'roo is Surge then the Lilac Tea is, umā€¦ tea.

That is to say, while the switch shares a similar tactile bump profile to the harsh Heisenbergs, the relative weighting between the springā€™s bottom-out and the peak force of the bump makes for a very different and altogether more gentle experience.

Where the 'bergs practically demand smashing the bottom-housing with the stem, the Poliaā€™s spring and 'Rooā€™s leaf make it much easier to have a very light bottom-out.

Compared with a Holy Panda, the bump and bottom-out alike are quite a bit softer despite sharing the shortened travel via the center post.

With a gentle appearance to match its character, the Lilac Tea could be a good option for those seeking a high quality tactile switch of the less bombastic variety.

6 Likes

Mild switches are underrated

8 Likes

Are there any other stems similar to a Polia? I donā€™t own those switcheds, but the mod sounds nice.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, Polia stems are literally re-colored Halo stems, and at minimum they are extremely similar. :+1:

Edit: Between the two Halos, the Clearā€™s spring is much closer to the Poliaā€™s if a bit heavier, which will further mellow the bump in comparison to bottom-out force.

3 Likes

Tried it. I like it. Iā€™d say itā€™s a slightly longer bump with reduced travel from a lilac switch. Iā€™m using it with the stock kangaroo spring and a halo clear stem. One of my favorite things about the mod is that it makes the upstroke less jarring too. The only negative is the amount of stem wobble. I prefer the lilac switches with lube and filmed to these, but itā€™s a close race.

Also just realized that itā€™s also very similar to the Naevy switch as well.

2 Likes

Can you tell me about the lubing involved with your switches?

Nice. Can you make a more gentle BOX Silent Brown with a weaker tactile event and bottom-out?

Unless I specifically mention a lubing process in the flavor-text or bullets, these are all un-lubed beyond whatever might be on some parts from the factory.

I do this for a few reasons, one of which being a desire for a predictable product when it comes to what Iā€™m describing - and another being my opinion that one possible indicator of high quality is when a switch feels great with little to none of it.

Lubing technique varies with people and their tastes, and can have such a strong effect on the sound and feel of a switch. I usually leave that part to the end-user when it comes to my recipes - unless some aspect of lubing and/or technique is critical to my desired character of the switch, such as with the Lemon Lushes and their springs donut-dipped in grease; they really arenā€™t worth the trouble without that step.

As for most of the rest - while they would likely benefit from lube in most cases when it comes to smoothness and/or sound, they donā€™t rely on it for their defining traits.

Yes; just swap out the bottom with that of a normal BOX Brown and thatā€™s what youā€™ll get.

(You could also just swap the leaf component, but that seems more complicated than it needs to be.)

One more tidbit on BOX tactiles; lubing the pusher and tactile legs actually encourages the subtle clicking that some tend to do, making it more consistent. Great if you like a little sound, but to be avoided if that little click gets on your nerves.

3 Likes

Good ole Gateron Milks and NK Dry Yellows. A little flair for an already great budget switch.

• Smoother upstroke
  • 63.5 bottom out
4 Likes

NK Silk/Dry stem + Cherry Black housing

Very mild yet noticeable tactility near the top - It starts about 1mm into the press, not as strong as a bump but stronger than heavier top weight added by long spring. It feels like putting on a tight pair of pants. There is no wobble so the tactility may be from the comboā€™s extra tight fit. It could also be from how contact leaf shape interacts with stem legs.

Itā€™s feel is, well, funky: not unpleasant and somewhere between linear and tactile switches (tinear?). And the stem doesnā€™t detract from Cherry black housingā€™s great sound.

NOTE: I have not yet tried a full board of this combo so the jury is still out on how it feels in-use.

UPDATE: Just tried this combo in-use using my frugal switch testing hack. Unfortunately, tighter fit made the switch feel scratchy.

4 Likes

MOO SWITCH (TACTILE)

Moo Switch recipe:
Top housing: Everglide Moyu
Bottom housing: FFFF Tactile
Spring: Stock FFFF Tactile, 67g
Stem: T1 from Kiwi

This came by accident and were leftovers from other frankenswitches Iā€™ve made. Tactility is mild, as it seems the FFFF leaf is quite loose. Very smooth. Dull bottom out but loud return clack. Thereā€™s a bit of leaf click.

6 Likes

These are my favorites! I also got them from slowshi.
Edit: If you put the dragon fruit bottom on these they look great and have even shorter travel.

1 Like

Arenā€™t they great? Unusually distinctive for a linear.

On that note - if you like Deadpools, you may also enjoy Gateronā€™s newest design, the Caps switches. They have a more traditional travel distance as opposed to super-short, but have some of the acoustic and tactile qualities (as in finger feels, not the switch type) that I enjoy about the aforementioned frankenswitch;

• a lovely ā€œtak takā€ sound in the middle frequency range, on the deeper side
  • a crisp botom-out that isnā€™t harsh; cushioned only by fairly soft plastic

Caps and Deadpools are just about neck-and-neck for me in terms of how much I enjoy them, and each has a quality or two I prefer over the other - but all else equal (or at least roughly equivalent), Caps are quite a bit cheaper than KS-3ā€™s, Bobas, and Pro Burgundies all together!

1 Like

I was thinking about trying something like this the other night. I love the thocky-ness of Koala housings, but want something with lighter tactility. I have heard Jades are a good clone of Zeal V1s.

I have some spare parts lying around to make one switch.

1 Like

On your suggestion I got some of these Milky Caps and put them on a gasket modded 60% board I had. Really like the results. I think the most unique thing to me is the satisfying scratchyness. It is more of a velvety scratchyness. They seem well built and all the right feel and sound.

here is my sound test with terrible typing speed.
httpx://imgur.com/a/PKh1gNE

also here are a couple of sound tests for the slowshi Deadpools in different boards.

httpx://imgur.com/a/PQxwhix
httpx://imgur.com/a/MMXPiim

4 Likes