Gateron Kangaroo (Gateroos)

I’d put Inks, especially 'roos, in the territory of “good buy if you know what you like”. They’re pretty expensive, but have the quality to back that up. I say 'roos especially because they’re somewhat unconventional - at least when compared to browns; read on for details.

VS Gateron Browns, Ink Kangaroos have shorter travel, a heavier spring, and a stronger bump. Most notably, that bump is all the way at the top of travel instead of the middle, and acts almost more like a catch than a bump. Instead of cresting it to reach actuation in the middle, you break through it to begin travel at the start. This is sometimes called “T-shaped”.

It’s a pretty short & crisp bump, but it’s also clean and smooth. Given the short travel, the fairly short bump is still long enough to end right around halfway through, right at actuation; as soon as you break-free of the catch, you’ve actuated the switch - but the catch is strong enough to prevent accidental actuation for most people.

Speaking of clean and smooth, Inks also enjoy deeper, less noisy sound than the browns. Generally, I’d say Inks need less tuning than mainline Gateron switches; maybe just some oil on the springs and the occasional film.

3 Likes

Thank you, Dave,

I’m amazed at your thorough description and general knowledge on switches.

2 Likes

Ye that’s a pretty good description.
I wanted to like them, but I got them around the same time I realized/decided I don’t want to use tactile.
Plus I got the ones without the 2-stage springs u can get in the USA that I believe make the switch much more enjoyable

1 Like

anybody know where to get these in the US, I can’t find them on novelkeys or monstargear

1 Like

Not seeing them in stock with any US retailers I’m familiar with, but UK retailer KPrepublic has them - looks like their Amazon store has them as well, which may offer cheaper shipping depending on where you’re located.

Also, MechMarket may be a viable solution, along with some Discord servers

How many do you need? I still have my bag of 90 from the initial release that I’ve never soldered. I know some of them were used for frankenswitch experiments, but I’m sure most are there.

I placed my order with KPRepublic last week. :grinning:

Thank You
I will check it out

If you’re going to purchase from KPRepublic it’s worth noting that from reviews and feedback I’ve read online, purchases from their site aren’t always going smooth, with their customer service not always being available.

Maybe those are US customers expecting faster shipping (takes about a month to arrive from China) and higher level of customer service.

I’d recommend purchasing from their AliExpress store, I’m purchasing from their store regularly, their prices are usual lower than most vendors and their customer services is great, and you’re also under the protection of AliExpress.

1 Like

I found some on amazon from a US vendor, but thank you for the advice