Gateron Kangaroo (Gateroos)

Alright thanks :slight_smile:
Switches look very interesting to me, will be getting some for sure

Looks like TheraminGoat put up a review of these last Saturday; I think it’s time to brew some tea and settle-in for a nice read.

:tea: :goat: :keyboard:

Edit: hey, @ajoflo - our favorite eloquent caprine mentioned this post in the review. :grin:

I’ve been using my 'roos for a week or so now, and I’ve come to really like them. For my own tastes, I found the short, crisp switches most enjoyable under ABS Cherry profile - vs, say, Holy Bobas - on which I preferred to use something thick / heavy / tall like ABS MT3. With those respective caps mounted, the two switches felt to me more alike than they did with the same caps on.

I don’t want to over-indulge in cork-sniffing (okay maybe I do), but I do think the pairing of components is just as important a consideration as the individual components themselves - at least when when it comes to an enthusiast chasing down their ideal typing experience.

That said - ouch on the not insignificant price increase vs those first few days! Maybe worth it if you love them, (and I do) - but that’s a sting for collectors.

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

‘cork-sniffing’ :laughing: so true

3 Likes

Ha, yeah - saw it on r/mk and thought it fit nicely. :wine_glass:

1 Like

I bought mine from Monstargear and it’s not prelubed. I heard the one from NK are prelubed?
The tactility is more similar to Zealios 67g V2 for me.
Also the bottom out is from the sliders hitting the floor of housing as opposed to the stem pole–which is the case in Holy Pandas.

3 Likes

Apparently the Monstargear and NK ones are pretty different - I think the only component they actually share is the stem. (Weird, right?) I’ve heard a lot less about the MG ones for sure.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. I was curious but…i really dont like Zealios v2 (67g) Gazzew Boba all the way for me ~! xD

Correction: Monstargear stock is lubed on the tactile legs with oil.

I’d love to try these out, as I’m yet to find an mx tactile that I genuinely like and daily drive, but the price point is just a yikes from me.

On one hand I think Inks are top-shelf switches that are worth the price - but on the other that’s really only true if you already know you really like them. It might be worth seeking out some samples to see if they qualify; they strike me as love-it-or-hate-it switches.

I picked up a bunch from NK and some had factory oil / lube on it. of the 1-2 I opened, there was lube on the rails and the stems, and I definitely got some stem farts out of the switches overall.

however, love the tactility, smoothness, and deep pitch of the switches.

3 Likes

Wasn’t a fan of the Ink Kangaroo switches. The tactility was really unpleasant, like falling off a cliff and smashing int othe bottom out. Maybe they need a spring swap or something. I also tried the Limbo switches too, which I thought were the same slider, but the feel was a bit more reserved. Maybe whatever housing the Limbo switch uses has a less tactile leaf than the housing that the Kangaroo Ink uses?

2 Likes

I have both the Monstargears and NK versions of these switches - at least in the hand, pre-build, I can’t feel or hear any meaningful difference, for what that’s worth.

So far I’ve only built with the Monstargears versions - and I love them. I think pixelpusher described Kangaroos as a combination of Zealios V2 tactility with the travel of a Holy Panda and a slightly shorter bump than an HP, and I’d agree with that description. For my tastes, the Zealios V2 tactility is the nicest out there, but the sound has never been great - and while HPs can sound amazing in the right board, the tactility can become overwhelming. So if you’re a tactile person, and you feel the same way about Zealio V2 and HPs, and can stomach the pricing, I’d very much recommend checking them out. Having just caught up on this thread, I’m now curious to try the NK roos soon.

6 Likes

I was also suprirsed that Limbo feels less tactile than Gat Roos.

Like ishufelt, I’m a fan of the Roos.

3 Likes

Popping-in from the future to confirm; I got some Limbos the other day (and incidentally stumbled back upon this thread from a Limbo store page listing). They are more mild than 'Roos in almost every way but sound, and they have a hair more texture thanks to the polyamide bottoms, as opposed to whatever Inks are made of.

They have the same almost “T” shaped top-bump the 'Roos have, but the leaf is a lot less aggressive - more like sliding off a tall bar-stool than falling off a cliff.

Edit: Travel is also longer in the Limbos, which I’m assuming is down to different bottom housing molds. In my experience, Ink housings have normal travel with normal stems, but shorter-than-usual travel with long-pole stems (like Halos) and apparently low-foot stems (like 'Roos). This might be the most interesting bit for me - sticking a pin in this for more detail later.

3 Likes

I am using Limbo’s top housing by replacing it with a Gazzew White top housing.
It has less wobbling and better sound than Limbo, which does nothing.
And I don’t know because I haven’t measured it properly, but I feel that the travel has become shorter.

Has anyone tried swapping the springs on the limbos? I swapped the spring with cyberswitche’s long spring and now it feels very similar (if not the same) as the cyberswitch which is more tactile.

1 Like

I’ve actually been meaning to mention this for a day or two; the Akko CS Jelly Blues aren’t to dissimilar to these and Limbos. Full-travel like Limbos are, but with bump strength closer to the Kangaroo.

1 Like

Hey there,

are the Kangaroos still a good buy in 2022? I must admit, my Gateron Browns have recently grown on me, after a year of Cherry Browns. They feel so much lighter than the Cherry’s. At least on the key caps I’m currently using. :smiley:

Since these are tactile, which I like, I wonder if I should give them a try.
Any feedback and recommendations is much appreciated.

Happy Sunday

Andreas

1 Like