[GB] Modern M0110 (closed)

A bit less than 48 hours leftover! We officially close at 11:59pm on Sunday 7/22 PST (west coast USA time) :slight_smile:

Joined last night. Excited, but feeling a bit of buyer’s remorse. This kit is so expensive.

What all did you go in for?

I got the $390 kit in light sand. I have close to 30 mx boards and only a handful of alps boards, so I decided on an alps build and chose to add on the alps throwback set. Then, I figured I might as well try a thick acrylic plate since I’ve never tried one, and added that and the spacer and an extra PCB. That way if I build something I regret in a month or two (usually how long it takes me to realize I do or do NOT like a switch) I can just swap out builds.

All in all it set me back close to $700. Yikes

Nice! It’s definitely a premium product. I don’t own any boards that come close to the weight of this case, so I’m really looking forward to having such a substantial build to type on.

Can’t wait for this one. After holding the prototype at the Bay Area meetup last year I had to get it. I had a hard time deciding but went for the sand color.

Hey folks, production is well underway, our machinist has two machines set up for the project right now, one for tops and one for bottoms :slight_smile:

Check out this raw metal! I personally love the raw toolmark pattern on the inside of the bottom section.

8 Likes

Looks really cool :+1: November cannot come soon enough.

Any updates on this? The pics from Aug 5 looked like things were cooking along nicely, but two months on I’m sure everyone would appreciate knowing where things are at.

2 Likes

Just got the email about alps throwback colors. Gotta say I’m not very pleased with the final choice. Looks pretty much like white and gray. I was expecting creamy off white and beige. The colors chosen dont really go with the sand color case.

The blue and red also look way too saturated. They look like cheap Unicomp keycaps.

Maybe it’s just the lighting. Maybe I just need more coffee.

Gray and white keycaps:

Original cream and beige:

I’ll probably try to swap case colors when all is done.

1 Like

Wow, that is pretty bad. I am surprised that it was that bad.

quiet around here.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to contact deskcandy? I am moving this week and have been trying to contact them for a while for an address change. I’ve emailed a couple times and sent a geekhack pm with no response to anything.

For some reason I’ve been thinking about the M0110 keyboard recently and that brought to mind this project. What happened with it. Did they ever ship?

John actually updated the group a few days back. He sends out updates about every two to three months.

Nothing has shipped yet. He’s working on getting the boards engraved and finished. Some are anodized. A few are cerakoted. But the cerakote needs to be redone/touched up on some, and he said he is going to retap all of the screw holes by hand on each board to ensure there are no issues.

Honestly, I’m not sure how this is 3 months of progress from the last update. I swear the last update was the same. Ha.

I guess we’ll see them of these days…

3 Likes

Anyone have a Light Sand Cerakote spot they’d like to part with? =)

How did this build went? Does it worth it?

I did a blue Alps build with DCS Yuri. Wasn’t a fan of blue alps with the acrylic plate and foam. It took too much life out of the sound. I’m currently using it with a hotswap PCB and thick wooden plate. I like it a lot. I also own the slightly cheaper Hello Again M0110. I prefer this one for it’s extra chunky looks. It looks and feel autentically vintage. The only downside of this version is that the cerakote isn’t perfectly matched from top to bottom. You can easily see it in certain light.

Oh wow thanks. I am tempted by a gray modern m0110. What’s the difference between thr modern and hello versions ?

Modern m0110 was completely different though it appears the Hello 0110 copied the plate of the Modern m0110. Modern m0110 supported Alps, I believe did not use a daughter board (Hello does) but rather has a huge cut out for USB to support standard PCBs, and was one of the first boards to offer Cerakote.

Modern m0110 is probably the inferior board from a design perspective due to the rear USB cut out and the finishing problems the designer/runner had (they manufactured in the USA with someone that had no experience making keyboards). But it is a lot rarer and had Alps support.

1 Like