[GB] the Heavy-9: aftermarket housing for the Leopold FC980C and FC980M

@norbauer did you recieve that fc980m yet? :slight_smile:

I did and it looks promising, but I need to check it against another part that I have arriving tomorrow (final sample of the plate with the PEM standoffs installed).

4 Likes

I appreciate your thoroughness. Thank you for a quick reply too

@norbauer Would the Keybrief TKL hold the Heavy-9? And if not, would you consider making one that does?

Oh Man! I too only have the fc980m because ISO (which was only available for a limited time…?). I ordered anyways, figuring I could probably get used to ANSI (though it’s missing the key that is > and < in Nordic ISO). Would be absolutely bonkers if I could use the fc980m and have a spare case in the event Leopold come to their senses and release the fc980c ISO. In the meantime, I think I could be pretty satisfied with the fc980m if I changed the switches and/or lubed them. (Actually they are stock MX Blue and tbh it’s not half bad at all. I also have a Realforce so it’s not like I don’t know what I’m missing :wink:)

Anyways, can’t wait for my k2 and steel case! :upside_down_face:

I actually anticipated the possibility of a Heavy-9 when I designed the Keybrief TKL, so yes, it does indeed just fit inside. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How could you possibly resist the triumvirate?! :smiley:

what about allowing tolerance for those locking usb connectors, so that you can swing the keyboard over your head. seems like a good idea.

2020-08-20_024744

just got my 30g FC980C in the mail today. Really enjoying the board. It’s a unique switch. The press is light, but not too light like gateron clears or anything. I would say it is somewhat similar to a cherry red, but quite different as well. The bump is slight. As I press, I feel the increased spring resistance is almost more noticable than the bump. It’s really nice. Certainly might have to think hard about that steel option.

2 Likes

Appreciate the quick mini-review! Is this the only FC980C you’ve typed on before? Also, have you typed on Topre 30g domes before? Last question (:smiley:) - which Heavy-9 finish did you originally go with?

First FC980C. I own 3 FC660Cs (all 45g - 1 factory silenced, one with #2 deskeys rings, one stock), 2 novatouches (45g one with ironed hyperspheres and 1 with deskeys rings), a RGB realforce TKL (RGB deskeys rings, 45g) and a 55g uniform Realforce 87u stock.

This is my first 30g board. I would never consider a 30g MX spring, but the weighting is obvioulsy calculated at different points.

I bought the all black Leopold board, so I was considering the K2 finish. Although I’m not so sure I like the stark look of black on white. I don’t want to do the black finish b/c I’m afraid the blacks will clash. I am currently considering paying additional money for a custom color or the steel option.

:eyes:

Well, maybe I should pick up a 980M as well…

1 Like

I’m happy to be able to confirm compatibility with the FC980M! I’m in fact writing this on a K2 Heavy-9 with a FC980M (red switches) installed (w/acoustic dampener), and it feels and sounds pretty great. :sunglasses:

15 Likes

@norbauer awesome. I’m so glad this worked out.

Pack up your old 1800s. We got us a winner boys. The Heavy-9, the ultimate 1800 keyboard.

5 Likes

That’s fantastic! I’ve decided to just go with the FC980M for this since FC980C is not available in ISO, which unfortunately/fortunately means I’ll have to go the Topre route via a Norbaforce. When do you think you’re going to announce these again?

Mx version uses plate mount cherry stabilizers, right?

This is so cool that you can do either type in one case! I don’t own a 980m but they’re not too hard to find and not all that expensive.

On the down side… this is going to make me buy 2 heavy-9s, I just know it.

4 Likes

It does use plate mount cherry stabs. Though leopold appears to have their own molds for atleast the sliders. Leopold sliders are smaller and the wire fits better. The stabs on my 980m are better than other cherry plate stabs I have used.

Plus those amazing leopold doubleshot pbt caps come with 980m…

Awesome!! Could you perhaps do a quick typing test for us, just as a tease? :grin:

I would like to, but I’m not sure that I’ll have time before the GB closes early next week.

I’ll just leave this here for the FC980M users to rejoice : FC980M BLE Yang controller