[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

That’s actually a pretty good idea! Let me experiment with that this weekend.

Yup! It uses the Norbaforce 87U breakout PCB. I ordered 100 in advance with the Norbaforce batch for exactly this purpose. Unfortunately, I believe that this means this will be a limited production of <=100 units.

4 Likes

Sounds like there’s going to be some serious competition for those spots. Dibs!

Looks great!

Is that a topre keycap set?

Thanks! And nope, it’s ePBT Kuro Shiro. I’m using des sliders for the 1u keys, jtk sliders for the enter/left shift and a topre pbt spacebar.

1 Like

how are the des sliders?

1 Like

outstanding

3 Likes

Got my shipping notification! I’ve been on a RAMA M60-a since it was released, so excited to get back to a “real” HHKB!

2 Likes

for those who’ve assembled their heavy grail, did you choose to lube or keep it unlubed? I have both a recently-lubed and unlubed(stock) hhkb, and I’m honestly not sure yet which I prefer yet typing feel-wise…

I lubed it. Doesn’t take long (compared to mx switches) and doesn’t really have any downside that I know of.

Well, I just picked up a 23U in anticipation. I hope it works out!

1 Like

I worked out a model that matches the existing design language of the Norbaforce and also simply matches in a single part the angle of that keyboard with its optional risers installed (3 degrees). I think it’ll make a nice pairing and will work well as a standalone next a different board. I’m SLA printing a prototype right now in my workshop to check the fits and then will start working on a machined metal one. I’ll create a separate thread for that soon to avoid further distracting from the Heavy Grail discussion here. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

It’s Alive!

21 Likes

So jealous of anybody who already receives it. I am still waiting for my shipment notification. :sleepy:

4 Likes

We will likely be shipping these through the rest of the week. These have been years in the making and it’s a huge pile of orders, so I can only ask you to enjoy these last few days of anticipation. We’re working on getting things out in a paced and deliberate manner. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Ok, I’ll bite: why is your rear plate black?

1 Like

I got a mismatched Pro 3 bottom (the white one with the hole in the first photo) and Pro 2 top. They ran out of Pro 2 bottom plates in K2 when I contacted them so I told them I’d be happy with a black one instead and am sending back the K2 Pro 3 bottom.

4 Likes

I can’t believe it’s actually here!

11 Likes

happy to test out a 3DP version with a modified 23u (plate modified to match the 104u layout) if you want to stuff it in with my Heavy Grail order :wink:

Finally had the chance to build mine over the weekend

26 Likes

Et voilà!

Q: How long did it take you to put this together?
A: Around 6 hours, including lubing, silencing, and other mods.

Q: What was the best part about the build?
A: The complex detail of the custom plate was riveting. It was a piece of work really worth admiring. Also, the package was delivered a day early so obviously it felt like Christmas which made the experience even better.

Q: What was the hardest part about the build?
A: The top edge of my custom plate (where there is a little tab that seems to be for easy positioning) needed a little filing to perfect the alignment. The included tool which could be used for this purpose was a great touch. The poron gasket positioning was a bit of a challenge as well, but it gets simple when you figure out that you can lift the whole enclosure around to let gravity do the work for you.

Q: What does your Heavy Grail sound like?
A: Like raindrops falling on a wooden box filled with wool and optimism for the future.

Q: Where is your cable?
A: It is taking a well-deserved rest inside my drawer. Bluetooth works perfectly with Yang’s BLE controller, and the much-discussed battery fits brilliantly inside the enclosure!

Q: Didn’t you have better things to do on a Wednesday evening when you needed to get up early for work the next day?
A: I don’t understand your question.

34 Likes