[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

What is the reason for preparing a second plate with the original Topre sliders? For the sole use of EC keycaps or a different dome set-up altogether?

I just received my 1u deskeys sliders with the drill kit. Will report back here with findings/results.

2 Likes

only 1u atm. des recently teased the larger ones on his discord. they should be coming soon, hopefully a month or two.

Primarily to keep the Topre sliders organized and minimize the amount of popping sliders in and out of a switch plate. Appreciate any feedback you may have on those sliders!

I’m in the delayed boat, so going to wash all my HiPro caps in the meantime. Maybe break out the Monolith (NorbaForce Mk1 Tactical Black with black Cherry POM and Novatouch sliders). Maybe get a Heavy-9 while I wait. Four Norbauer cases isn’t enough, right?

4 Likes

Has anyone had much luck installing the lower gaskets? The washer cut outs from the poron gasket material seem to tear away even when gentley securing the screws in place. Ryan seems to skip this step in the instructional video so any advice would greatly be appreciate.

I intentionally didn’t include those washer gaskets in the instructional video because I don’t consider them part of the standard install. They are there in case anyone wants to experiment with a very soft build, but as you noted it’s quite tricky to get the torque on the screws right without tearing them. I’ve had success with it after a bit of fiddling, but it helps to not stress too much if it isn’t the most beautiful thing in the world but instead just gets the job done, as inevitably the washer will get a little deformed. My general advice is: don’t mess with it and just install the upper gasket. :slight_smile: I haven’t really been able to tell much of a difference with those backing washers installed.

Is the purpose of the two elastic waistband looking things to hold the box shut?

1 Like

Correct.

1 Like

thanks ryan,
My biggest concern was that i was missing something haha. I’ll experiement with applying them around the spacebar area (maybe double layering them) to try and soften that up a bit.
Have to say it blew my expectations out of the water.

So happy to see this. Confirms I have made the right choice :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to illustrate, it really is incredibly useful for those of us a little less technically literate.

A question. I’m a pro 3 hybrid user (4-device bluetooth pairing with usb c and AAA batteries bump) and I’m still waiting for my housing. Based on your experience would you say it could be possible to use a rechargeable battery unit like the one you have whilst keeping the original HHKB controller? As far as I understand hasu does not allow for 4-device bluetooth pairing/switching and may not offer some of the layout mapping functionality the original HHKB controller offers.

Thanks

2 Likes

It’s not possible, there’s no charging circuit. Furthermore, the yang and hasu controllers are incompatible with the pro 3 models. Only pro 2.

4 Likes

Bummer. Thanks.

On that note, do you think keeping some good quality AAAs inside the Heavy Grail housing and replacing them every once in a while by opening the case a possibility?

EDIT: actually nevermind answering, it’s simply something I’ll have to test and prototype when my housing arrives.

1 Like

Interestingly, there’s a Pro 1 version of the Yang BLE controller, for all of you lovely fossils out there (I mean this in the best way possible!)

I used yoycart to get a usb-c version of his Bluetooth controller. Based on previous reports here it should work with the pro2 heavy grail.

Thanks again for your hardwork into this project, love how it looks in the setup. Hoping the 23u housing will be offered in sunset blvd so i can pair it up. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

How do you power the keyboard up and down when not cabled? I mean there is no power button with heavy grail housing anymore, right?

1 Like

Mostly I’m super happy with this but one of the first things i noticed is rough finishing around the USB hole. It is no big drama but wondering if anyone else noticed this, particularly on the veracity Steel? it is mostly just surprising because everything else is finished to meticulous a standard but the Usb port looks rougher than a typical kbdfans aluminium case

1 Like

You’re right, the dip switch ‘area’ isn’t accessible on the Pro 2 Heavy Grail so the actual power switch on the controller, I keep in the ‘on’ position all the time. So technically, the battery is always powering the keyboard.

The Yang controller has two power saving modes, and the ultra low energy mode is ‘Lock Mode’. You can enter this either through 2.5 hours of idle time, or by pressing a key combination (default: Fn + Z → if you do this then you can only use F + J key combo to wake up the keyboard). The latter is how I ‘turn off’ the keyboard (the Bluetooth also disconnects), and Yang actually recommends this as the method rather than using the physical power switch. Works pretty well for me so far, I once left my HHKB in storage for over a month like this and I came back to it at 90% battery remaining.

1 Like

Oh snap… I completely forgot that there is a power-saving feature on the dip switches with the Pro 3 Hybrid! Haha. It’s funny how many little permutations of can / can’t dos you have here between controllers, housings, openings et cetera.

So, technically as a Hybrid user who can’t use a Yang controller, I could put a nice big battery inside the Heavy Grail and just set the pins to disable the power-saving mode. Indeed, I suppose this could work.

Wish there was a Hasu/Yang with 4 bluetooth devices and usb C for the hybrid yet - that would be ideal.