[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

Can’t stop taking photos of this thing :heart_eyes:

20 Likes

Hey all! I’ve been enjoying my HG, but wanted to be able to use it with blue tooth, and have an easily rechargeable battery mounted internally.

I’ve managed to do it with 3 parts
-1s battery management system (BMS)
-Voltage converter to drop the BMS output voltage to 3v
-LiPo battery that is 4mm or less in thickness.

Here’s a poorly drawn diagram of everything

Step 1- Tap the 5v for the BMS voltage IN from the hybrid’s board. This is right by the USB C port for reference.

Step 2- Install the BMS, voltage converter and LiPo. I used a battery that is really a bit too big, but I made it fit. I’d recommend something around 2000mAh or larger if you don’t want to charge all the time. That said, I used a 200mAh for testing, which lasted a couple days without needing a charge. As long as the battery is 4mm or less thick, it’ll fit just about anywhere the felt is, unless a component on the PCB protrudes in that spot.

The BMS and voltage converter fit nicely in the cutout.

Please excuse the messy prototyping extra-long wires :sweat_smile:

Note- I snipped the JST connector from the stock battery compartment to use from the converter voltage out.

Step 3 - Test everything by connecting the two PCB, and pressing the power button. As is, you don’t have access to the power button with the bottom plate (you could cut a notch if you wanted), so you’ll need to turn power saving off on the dipswitch so you don’t have to wake the board with the button. Plug in a USB cable and check for any indicator lights on your BMS to make sure it’s working.

Step 4 - Enjoy! Just plug it in when you need to charge up your battery. Once a week (depending on battery size) over night should keep it ready to go all the time.

Parts I used
BMS
Converter/Regulator
Battery

NOTES

• The regulator might not be necessary at all. I don’t know what the max voltage allowed on the hybrid’s battery in port, so I went on the safe side and matched the voltage of two charged AA (3.3v) with the regulator.
  • This will work on any hybrid that you don’t want to swap batteries on, and have USB charging. The only challenge is finding space for the components.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions! If you’d like me to perform the mod on your board, feel free to send me a PM.

UPDATE - Here’s a much cleaner mod I did for a client

26 Likes

Once again, you’re an absolute legend for having devised and shared this method, thank you. Keenly awaiting my heavy grail to go down the same route. x

4 Likes

I just wanna know where all these damn hi-pro caps are coming from :rofl:

Someoone find me hipro caps. Is $400 enough?

3 Likes

We’ve all been saving them for this exact moment! :rofl:

2 Likes

Haha. If you were serious, I’m happy to sell you these. That’s actually less than what I paid for them in trade, believe it or not. :sweat_smile: (I figured they’d make for a cool photo.)

4 Likes

I’ll take second in line :sweat_smile:

Third in line please, should the first two gentlemen pass away in bizzare, unrelated accidents :wink:

1 Like

Holy moly those are some nice caps.

Not correcting you but just to make you aware for future consideration, KBD has added a Group Buy updates page:

In regards to the Hi-Pro set they didn’t exactly keep a stream of updates but they did have more than on the main product page.

1 Like

Not at all, thanks for the heads up, that’s always good to know.

Again, all I could see – as someone who doesn’t use social media, discord et cetera – was a stream of people in the comments section of the main page puzzled and seemingly a little angry at getting no responses or updates at all on top of an outdated GB descriptions, hence I eventually emailed them with a query directly. It’s something to take away from for buyers but probably mostly for KBD, I suppose – as someone here wisely pointed out, it can leave a lasting impression, unnecessarily so.

I love that photo!

1 Like

Anyone found a wrist rest that they like with their HG? Ideally something that’s butt lines up nicely with the front of the HG (doesn’t have to be perfect).

anybody would take that deal, myself included. my suggestion is couple it with one of the heavy grail into a unique / one-off kit to be featured in the 2021 exceptional offerings section of the shop

I did accept his offer but I’m not sure he was serious :slight_smile: and I’m not sure how often he’s on here. I think it would look amazing on the upcoming polycarbonate version too.

Ryan is frequent here, but the best way to reach him is always through email. And I think he’s serious as serious can be so you’re in luck!

You did not accept Ryan’s offer. These aren’t the caps you are looking for. You can go about your business.

6 Likes

So I’m busy getting some cables made and decided to make a cable for the grail while I wait for it to arrive. I went K2 with the pink plate and I’m wondering if anyone has any clue what the best (MDPC-X) match will be for the Norbauer pink?

So I guess you do need a BMS and a voltage regulator… I just attached a 3.7V lipo directly to the board, just to see if it would work and it did… but it no longer works with the 3.0V from a battery connection.

I guess I’ll put this board into the norbauer and deal with it being wired.

1 Like

Thanks for testing that out. Do you know what voltage the lipo was at when you plugged it? I’m guessing there’s no visible damage but you might be able to poke around with a multimeter/scope and find the component that went bad.