[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

I have subsequently been told that the stream is quite negative and vitriolic towards me in a personal way that has nothing to do with the board, which started much earlier in the stream.

I give you a lot of praise and respect throughout the build which you clearly haven’t watched in it’s entirety. I’ll be compiling it into a compressed youtube video so its a more manageable watch.

We have had a great working relationship going on a year now and I’m happy to try to reach some understanding with you as to not ruin that partnership.

I wasn’t quite aware what I was stepping into when someone told me to join the chat and try to get the bottom of what the tantrum was about (a strong word, perhaps, but if you watch even a little of the stream I think you’ll deem it accurate).

Yes, the first thing you said when you entered my chat without knowing anything about what was going on other than what someone told you was to say “I hear something about a tantrum” instead of remaining professional and ask what the issues were. Goguma even said that those were not the words he used te describe the stream to you before entering.

strikingly emotional meltdown

The VOD is up for people to see and I think your definition of emotional meltdown is somewhat different than what most would consider passion and immense dissapointment.

We might have been able to work out his assembly error, his misunderstandings about the design, and any potential QC issues for which we might have needed to send him a replacement part, but my joining the stream only made him more furious, with him saying “Fuck you, Ryan Norbauer. We don’t love you.”

I opened up the case to show you how I installed so we could see if user error was the issue. Be both missed the screw location and you didn’t mention anything else. What made me furious was your dismissal of my complaints.

You said "Alright, I can see that this conversation isn’t going to be fruitful. As with anyone who doesn’t adore something they get from me, you’re always welcome to get a refund, with my apologies for your wasted time and/or disappointment. But feedback on the Heavy Grail has been uniformly positive so far (I’ve quoted lots of people in the product page). I think something is wrong with the plate you got, but we would always be happy to fix that.

In my eyes you were completly dismissing any concerns I had about the product to which there were many as can be seen here. Grail Issues, Slider Compatibility Issues. I am clearly passionate, but am I being vitriolic?

I would never say no one loves you. I said to you “Fuck You Ryan, we don’t adore you.” Adore is to hold something in high regard. Of course I don’t adore this product; it is a complete dissapointment. The blemishes alone and tooling marks on the corners make these products less than B-stock. Keycult’s b-stocks make your fit and finish look like a first time shop handled the Grail. When you promise perfection and with how you describe your products and the price you charge for them I think these issues are completely unacceptable.

1. there is something much deeper going on here and he just hates me personally for some unknown reason or was simply having a really bad day or 2) he is just intentionally edgelording (thanks to @choobies for explaining this zoomer concept to me), using my name and a popular product to raise the profile of his channel. The former case deserves only empathy/sympathy and the latter our admiration for its excellent business savvy (it didn’t escape my notice that the meltdown video has 5x the views of his normal streams).

Why are you speculating about my motivations when I have given you the chance 4 times to talk to me about this and instead you have been avoiding me and have been talking negatively about my character. Am I not allowed to have a bad day? I don’t want to get into excuses but in the post chat after I left you were given plenty as to why I may not have composed myself professionally, including because you didn’t compose yourself professionally to begin with.

As a pretty morose and self-hating person in general

:kissing_heart:

As I said in the last of the several emails between us this week (I’ve hardly been avoiding you), I think perhaps we can just cordially agree not to be each other’s #1 fan and go on about our respective work with different sets of values and aesthetic preferences, which is totally fine. At this point I’m simply bored—and no doubt each of us has more uplifting and important matters to which we can attend.

7 Likes

You certainly have been ignoring my requests to discuss this one on one with you. You asked for an explanation and I’m happy to in a conversation where we can clear up any misunderstanding between us. Please stop talking about me if you don’t want to talk to me about it.

Mate, I have no horse in this game… I have long time ago opted out concluding that Ryan’s products are simply overly expensive and to be honest - a bit snobby. But I am also a big proponent of the concept that people can spend their own money on anything they friggin’ want. There will always be products with super extra premium based on I don’t know what but for enough people it’s obviously worth it; and it’s specially nothing new in this hobby - look at Keycult.

Now that is out of the way, I did go and watch the third highlights video - “Major problems with the Holy Grail”. Did that after reading your post and giving you huge benefit of the doubt.

On that note, I would say I totally get your arguments. But… but… I’ve felt second hand embarrassment for the grown up man acting like that “in the public”. I’ve hardly had gut to finish watching it because of it, honestly. In my book, "tantrum’ very precisely described what I saw and if you’ve pushed it even a little bit further it would be batshit crazy.

If some female creator (like Apiary or Switch and Click) pulled this crap in the stream, everyone would be like - “look at that insane b*tch, she completely lost it”. You are not massively getting that reaction likely purely because you’re a man.

Ryan’s responses, while they might be a bit “from above”, are actually quite measured considering how you’ve reacted to his product. Imagine the response of (for example) Glorious in the similar situation, lol. We wouldn’t be able to open the can of beans without some response from them coming from it.

5 Likes

If some female creator (like Apiary or Switch and Click) pulled this crap in the stream, everyone would be like - “look at that insane b*tch, she completely lost it”. You are not massively getting that reaction likely purely because you’re a man.

That is some sexist opinion i’m not even going to entertain.

I have a feeling you’re not really helping yourself here, buddy :rofl:

4 Likes

I think we can agee to disagree but fortunately I have a lot of people who are extremely happy I handled it the way I did including my client which is the most important thing.

Again, I think you understand it yourself too well also but you simply can’t help yourself. So let me put it bluntly: you’re digging yourself deeper with every response.

I’m not going to further amuse your hysteria here, though. It’s sad to watch and I’ve grown out of trolling people who don’t seem to be at mentally best place at given moment.

Cheers.

13 Likes

I hope we can get a sneak peek of the PC Heavy Grail soon :drooling_face:

8 Likes

Here is the only image I have post-processed so far.

There will also be some units with white ABS switch plates. (The PC plate looks cooler and is maybe slightly more clacky but the ABS plate probably feels and sounds/feels a bit better overall—more in the softer and thocky direction. But the differences are fairly subtle.)

As a reminder, I’ll be dropping these on Thanksgiving (this Thursday, or perhaps the evening before if I get everything put together in time) by message to my email list. This is a one-time production run, and the housings have already been manufactured. The housings are in transit and the switch plates will be going into molding soon. We’re expecting to ship these the finished units probably sometime in January, as soon as we have the switch plates and retail boxes in hand.

25 Likes

Pricing?

1 Like

I’m not sure yet, actually. I need to summon my spreadsheets. Likely similar to the aluminum ones though.

This looks just like my skeleton Gameboy Colour from back in the day!!! Goodbye world…

1 Like

Gameboy (and Palm Pilot) nostalgia actually been a main motivating factor for my continued interest in polycarbonate. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry for not following very closely but I do see Ryan posting HG in the wild. Is it normal that I haven’t heard about my order? What proportion of the HGs from the original GB are shipped? Thanks!

Edit: Removed as it was pointed out that the content was unkind and not needed.

3 Likes

IMO, I think anything that needed to be said to Buddy publicly has already been said at this point…kind of mean to keep bring it back up in the spotlight (when tons of people are probably stalking this thread for PC Heavy Grail updates). If you’re genuinely concerned for him, you can always PM him and he is quite active on his Discord.

12 Likes

Fair enough.

3 Likes

I’d drop a line to norbauer support email.

Oh no, that is not normal! Anyone with a delayed housing should have gotten an email. (Maybe check your spam folder?) There are two categories of housings that haven’t shipped yet: 1) a few Veracity Steels that we got repolished by the vendor here in L.A. because we caught a few spots that we thought could have been done better and 2) housings or orders with pink switch plates.

The reworked Veracity Steel housings have been coming in a painfully slow dribble of a few per week, which we ship as we get them. Regarding the pink plates, I’ll be sending out an update email in a day or so, with the option to bail for white or black or stick with pink. The pink plates themselves should be arriving in the next week or so (according to the factory, though they may not have accounted for Thanksgiving).