[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

Just put my GOCF Heavy Grail together! It’s absolutely lovely!

32 Likes

2 Likes

How the heck did you get it so fast? Looks lovely

1 Like

Pre-production sample. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ManOfInfluence flexing on us yet again.

Looks beautiful.

4 Likes

I don’t need another one.
Do I need another one?
I should get another one.

4 Likes

do it

5 Likes

…I don’t need to be in this thread right now. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Are R2 heavy grails still expected to ship before/around Christmas? I assume there will be some delays for boxes based on the PC 660c thread.

:eyes::eyes:

15 Likes

rip our wallets. Here I was thinking HG would be my end game.

These will likely be into January or February. The housings arrived yesterday from the powder coater up in SF, but there is still a lot of work to do on QC and assembly, and we’re waiting on a couple of small components like the parts packs that are delayed by the clogged port in LA. I’ll be sending out an update likely next week on all projects pending shipping. It has been a very busy couple of months. :sweat_smile:

Haha. That announcement makes it sound rather formal/fancy. Since I’m exiting Topre aftermarket stuff soon, I felt like the enormous tooling expense was going to waste. Since Garrett had asked me to supply him with plates so he could make a housing someday, just selling him the tooling at a heavy discount seemed like the simpler solution. :slight_smile: This way at least somebody will be making further use of all that work and expense I went to, including given the whole elaborate post-processing procedure we’ve put into place for hole tolerancing. I imagine it’ll be quite a long while before he has a housing to go with it.

11 Likes

Does this mean we’ll have to go through Omnitype for replacement plates? Seems like a good opportunity to come up with a solution for MX conversions, with holes prefabbed in the plate for 2u keys.

I’ll definitely have some replacement plates available before Omnitype does. I’m sitting on a lot of them that I just don’t want to offer for sale yet until I’ve shipped all the actual housings and know how many spares I have. So keep a look out later in the winter for those.

But after I sell out, yes, they would be the place to go to for plates.

5 Likes

my poor wallet :sweat_smile: haha…debated endlessly when the metal versions ran, finally decided to treat myself to this final polycarb version as I have yet to try one of Ryan’s boards much less Topre.

On that note, it seems like there’s a small sale at the moment for HHKBs. Just wanted to double check if
these would be compatible? I assume they’re all “Pro3” versions?

Also does anyone know if the hybrid versions are the only versions that support the key re-mapping? The description seems to suggest that it is but if it can be done on the cheaper classic version I might get that instead; Bluetooth(I’m aware of possible limits with regards to the battery) would be nice but it’s not as important compared to key-remapping for me.

1 Like

Yes, and as far as I’ve been able to tell so far, all the Pro 3 models work, including the hybrid (with all the usual caveats about battery and wireless, which are mentioned in the product page). I would tend to recommend the Classic with use with the HG.

I’m afraid I don’t know much about key remapping on the HHKB, but can’t you just do this at the OS level using either something like AutoHotKey on Windows or Karabiner on Mac?

1 Like

Just FYI, those prices for the HHKB are basically their year-round price. It always looks like it’s on “sale” on their website.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Just out of curiosity, any particular reason why?

I actually forgot about software hosted re-mapping, I’m so used to QMK at this point - yea that would be a solution as well, but it’d be preferable to keep key maps on-device. But you do bring up a good point, I’ll keep that in mind too, thanks for reminding me.

Oh! Good to know - so it’s always $281 year round? I just thought it was on sale cause it looks like it was marked down from $322

You can absolutely use the remap tool with a classic, but it does require modifying the software a little bit. It only took about a minute to do though and I can vouch its worked with my 2 classic boards :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes