[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

I have the usb-c. It fits the pro 2 grail but it is a bit snug.

4 Likes

Veracity Steel can be added to cart right now, but sold out when checking out :’( The tease, lol.

Sorry about that. Shopify is awful. We have one reserved for a client who still needs to pay, and for some reason the reserved item still shows up in inventory until the last step of checkout. Next year I’m moving to my own homebrewed storefront with a Stripe checkout, so I’m looking forward to no more of this kind of nonsense.

FWIW, we also have two Veracity Pro 2s that we’ll be selling lubed and built with the actual HHKB inside and included. If interested, feel free to email us about either of those. Otherwise, I think we may have sold through all of the Veracity housings.

9 Likes

Im interested

1 Like

Got shipping for my Veracity Steel! Woop woop. I’m stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks while my house has repair done, so I won’t be able to build it for a while. womp womp.

6 Likes

Let’s go! I’m excited and ready :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Grail with all deskeys inside(sliders, rings and domes) topped with MT3 Susu while I wait for GMK thinkcaps and 23u norba housing. It’s a shame that all that’s left is the PCB but it has come a long way since I got it 4 years ago.

10 Likes

It has been quite a few people now who have reported success building Heavy Grails with both Deskeys and Novatouch sliders (note that the latter requires drilling stabilizer holes, as with an actual HHKB).

1 Like

My Humble Grail.

26 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I will note that I did have one key have the issues that Buddy had with the grails that he built and boy would I be pissed if it happened to me.

What happened? Did you email us for a plate replacement, or did you adjust the hole yourself with the included file? Or was that a typo and you meant to say “if I did have”?

FWIW, we’ve tightened up our QC such that now every through-hole gets checked twice for correct tolerances, once at the factory and once at our warehouse. We were originally just sampling and testing all the holes on one out of every five plates at our warehouse and relying on the factory saying that they were checking all of them, but a few plates with tolerances slightly out-of-spec escaped as a result in the initial shipment, so we switched to double-checking 100% of them. (A useful reminder for me never to trust what factories say they’re doing.)

Speaking generally here I would just like to say that if anybody is in any danger of getting pissed at me (or in general) for anything related to a keyboard build, I would prefer that he or she please simply not buy anything from me in the first place. Keyboards are meant to be, in my mind, a joyful and fun escape from the indignities of everyday life, for both maker and user. This is why, if any technical hiccups occur, we work very hard to make sure that our clients get the problem resolved and with an end keyboard that delights them, because it’s the emotional result that matters. But having this be a positive experience for both sides of the transaction requires some genial patience and a mutual presumption of good intentions. Happily almost all of my clients approach things in this manner, but for the rare person who is going to get angry if something doesn’t initially go perfectly, I would cordially suggest that they’re not a good fit for us as a client and encourage them to look elsewhere.

18 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

cool Grail color!

2 Likes

I mean, you (the customer) are paying a premium for what is very much a premium experience. It’s not hard to trust that Ryan and Co will make good on their product. If something is amiss, they’re generally eager to do anything in their power to make it right. Even if what’s amiss is the product not meeting your emotional expectations; something they have very little control over.

You’ve got to go into the purchase knowing you’re paying for that level for service and the experience as much as you are the keyboard. As long as you realize that, take your hands off the wheel and kickback. Relax, have a homebrew. It’ll all come together in due time.

5 Likes

thanks! periwinkle has seriously been growing on me, the past few years. Its very easy on the eyes yet striking at the same time. Not to mention, it reminds me of Disney movies, shows, disneyland. :blush:

5 Likes

Its like I can feel the texture just looking at it. It looks amazing!

2 Likes

I felt there was no need for a replacement plate I just sanded it down with the file.

What I was getting at with the ‘I would be pissed’ was basically just because I’ve waited so long and paid a pretty penny to someone who has built a reputation for perfection.

To be clear I’m not pissed I’m fine and happy with my build and am looking forward to the 23u housing(if it’s still happening)

I just feel that this plate debacle should not have been an issue from a tier 1 keyboard designer who has written or said (I’ve been following this project for so long I can’t remember) that he has a binder of QC issues that he sends to manufacturers.

Look if the people affected are getting replacements good on you for fixing their issue, and I understand that financially this sucks for you.

1 Like

There’s no “if”. Ryan has always been willing and eager to fix any issue the buyer has. You could spend 5 minutes looking at reviews or threads on his products to see for yourself.

4 Likes

A tiny number of people needing to get a replacement for an out-of-spec tolerance that slips through QC is hardly a debacle; it’s the normal course of affairs for any business that manufactures and ships physical products. I think it has been like three or four people at most, so it’s hardly abnormal or any sort of financial burden.

I’m glad in any case that you’re happy with your Heavy Grail and build, because that’s what matters.

4 Likes