[GB] the Heavy Grail, a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

@rooski15 is conceptually correct about the plate, but (if I’m understanding correctly what you want to do) the remaining issue would be connector through-hole placement. They’re in different spots on the Pro 2 and Pro 3 boards HHKBs, which the Heavy Grail of course mimics. So even though you could theoretically switch to a Pro 2 plate (with its correct standoff positioning for a Hasu controller) with a Pro 3 housing—which I would otherwise be happy to facilitate— the USB connector itself would sadly be in the wrong location.

1 Like

Oh, I did not realize this. My Realforce R2 PFU has the purple sliders, so I assumed that all the Fujitsu products would as well. TIL.

Those Norbaforce keyrings are pretty cool…a HHKB keychain would be so awesome!

2 Likes

Now that the order page is up I feel a little better posting this heh, I was graciously offered a prototype unit a little while back to make up for some really frustrating shipping mishaps with my K2 unit. It’s gorgeous with blank caps and I can’t get over how cool looking the visible PCB/domes are. This is 100% my favorite design from Ryan so far :slight_smile:

28 Likes

That looks amazing! Any comments regarding feel or acoustics compared to your K2?

1 Like

thanks @rooski15 and @norbauer I have a clearer idea of what I was asking now.

Context is I’ve got an HHKB pro 2 with Yang controller and couldn’t resist getting a PC Heavy Grail. So the question was to HHKB pro 2 pcb + Yang controller into a HG Pro 3 and the issue are two-folds:

1. Mounting the Yang controller to the rear plate of the Pro 3 - double-sided tapes would do just fine, although Ryan is generous enough to offer an Pro 2 rear plate
  2. The USB cut outs would be wrong - I would be 100% using the board in bluetooth mode, the only cut out I’ll need is for the mini-USB port to actually charge the Lipo battery. and from the pictures the USB port on the Pro 3 is actually way off to the left-hand side vs. the closer to the middle ports of the Pro 2

Guess the solution for #2 will involve either (1) some laser cutting / CNC if that comes to it or (2) buy a Pro 3 and hoping Yang will come out with a custom BLE controller soon or (3) a Pro 2 PC Heavy Grail please Santa Norbauer :shushing_face: :shushing_face: :shushing_face:

EDIT: bonus pic of what is on my desk right now

7 Likes

So I doing similar calculations. I got a 25th anniversary hybrid that is so perfect ootb that i’m having a hard time committing to part it out.

I think that you will actually be better off with the pro 3 back plate even if you intend to mount the pro2 controller. As mentioned the pro 2 standoffs are in the wrong position but perhaps more importantly they will put the existing port so close to the housing as to not allow any sort of extender cable that you might use to rectify that.

1 Like

another thing to consider since you mention using the Yang controller is that the newer ones support Qi wireless charging and the dip switch cutout on the pro 3 backplate could be quite useful for that.

Really excited to pour a cup of tea and spend an afternoon figuring this out.

1 Like

It’s tough! I would say the Polycarb sounds a little more muted compared to the K2 where there’s a little more resonance. They’re both built and lubed the exact same way and I go back and forth on which one I like more acoustically. Both sound wonderful though :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Personally, I think I’d probably either try to land a daughter board at the UCB-C cutout - just have to fashion a support system. Or maybe even a short cable with a net-dot plug on the end, so it’s all magnetic connect/disconnect and relatively low profile.

2 Likes

Does anybody know where a Yang BLE controller can be found nowadays, or is it only second hand? KBD fans doesn’t seem to have the sales page anymore

You can get all of Yang’s stuff on Taobao, which is admittedly a bit of an experience if you aren’t familiar with the platform.

A proxy service like Superbuy could facilitate things.

4 Likes

I used yoycart to get mine

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you both

If anyone would like a R2 K2 for Pro 3, please let me know. I’ll ship it as soon as it comes in. I won the rama m60 tank raffle and would rather have that and the PC heavy grail.

6 Likes

Wow congrats!

1 Like

Do you have the miniUSB version or USB-C? Does anyone know if the USB-C BLE controller port would fit the hole of the Pro2 version K2 Heavy Grail?

Is this pro3 version? I’m thinking whether pro3 hybrid would be compatible with this or not. I just want to use type-s on thus basically. Don’t really care for battery or bluetooth

1 Like

I built mine with a Pro Classic, which is the Pro 3 without BT. But I believe others have said that the Hybrid is compatible in the case. Type-S sliders will fit in the plate no problem, the only difference would be the breakout PCB as mentioned in the product listing.

Both of my Grail’s are built with the standard normal sliders with aftermarket silencing rings from Deskeys (#2 thickness). It’s not as quiet as my hybrid type-s is but it’s a nice middle ground of a little bit of sound without the clack that comes from non silenced Topre keys returning.

2 Likes

Yea the hybrid is pretty much identical to the classic other than the fact the hybrid has bluetooth stuff on the bottom side of the PCB with a piece of foil (for shielding I think?). As ryan mentions on his product page, you can use any current gen hhkb on the pro 3 HG.

1 Like