[GB] the Norbaforce Data Pad: housing for Topre 23U numpads

Just set mine up. Wasn’t sure what to do since the old cable seemed have an extra connection to the board, but seems to be working

4 Likes

Hi, @scb! The grounding wire is meant to prevent noise/interference and should be fastened under the screw heads on each of the two locations indicated in the image below.

Wait, were we supposed to get a ground wire with the data pad for the breakout PCB? I didn’t get one for my K2 or polycarbonate version. You can’t use the original one since it’s connected to everything.

I didn’t get a grounding wire either

Yes, Jared didn’t realize that the Numpads needed the grounding wires, but since they 87U-style they do. We’re sending those in follow up to all your orders on Monday. Apologies for the mix-up.

4 Likes

Is it possible for you folks to list the part number or order source somewhere?

I changed phone numbers, so unfortunately the new owner of my old phone number has had to help me coordinate my data pad delivery. Don’t want to put them through that a second time for just a cable, and don’t want you to incur ridiculous costs to send me a cable halfway across the world. :wink:

No worries! Just email us the new address and we can send one there.

The cables are custom, but pretty much any cables with an m3 eyelet on both ends would work.

so should we not use it until the ground cable arrives?

I believe that the grounding is there to prevent interference with the sensitive analog components and not primarily as a safety feature, so you probably could use it without, but if you can wait until the grounding wire arrives, it would probably be optimal. My apologies again for the mix-up.

2 Likes

Any idea when we should start seeing the grounding wires in mailboxes?

Assuming we will get a shipping notification once these start going out? My build evening is gonna have to wait :slight_smile:

Is there an instructional video somewhere or is it relatively straight forward?

2 Likes

We had to create custom one-off orders for these, which weren’t associated to the original order with its email, so you wouldn’t have gotten a tracking notification but they all went out last Wednesday and so should be arriving soon, especially for US recipients. If you you need tracking, however, you are very welcome email us and we’ll be happy to dig it up for you.

So a package arrived today!

First, I was not expecting such a big package, the inner box only takes up about 1/3 of the outer box so plenty of bubble had to be used to filled up the space. Second, the inner box itself is just a simple white cardboard box, unlike the more fancy boxes of my previous Norbauer purchases. Fortunately the Heavy-6 box has plenty of extra space to accommodate the Data Pad in case of house-moving.

With the unexpected out of the way, the rest comes as expected.

Building it was very straight forward, except missing the ground wire so I have not plugged it to the PC.

3 Likes

Haha. That box situation is odd. Not sure what happened there—but I’ll find out. I guess that’s the spot the grounding wire was supposed to occupy. :joy:

Love those HiPros on this setup.

2 Likes

Use any wire in the meantime :person_shrugging:

I was weirded out the moment I saw the courier holding the package haha but it has all the paperworks and everything. Yeah the bubble is rather excessive, but understandble if priority is to make sure the inner box survives the trip.

Speaking of the case itself, very consistent and nice texture, same as my K2 Heavy-9. The dimensions and the shape perfectly matches the Norbaforce! If only I have 1 Data Pad for every different finishes of my other Norbas to pair together!

EDIT: I will likely have the Mini USB port on the daughterboard replaced with USB-C. It’s 2023 already I want to USB-C everything!

1 Like

I talked to Jared about this today and I think he was just having a mini-stroke or something when he packed yours. Haha. This was definitely not intentional—it surely cost us like three times as much to ship it compared to just the small box. :joy:

It’s 2023 already

By that logic, you should throw out your mechanical keyboard and desktop computer and use an iPhone for all computing activity instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Touche’! I need to build a big shelf to display all the keyboards now hahahaha

1 Like

I’ve just got the 23u for the polycarbonate housing and when I press any key on the pad while the Num lock is on, the Num lock LED flashes on my 87u. Is this normal? Thanks

2 Likes

when you do this does the 87u type letters or numbers? you can turn num lock off on the 87u and it should go back to regular usage