Glorious Pandas

Yeah, I mean; regardless of whether they’re legally allowed to do this (they probably are!) it’s incumbent upon us as consumers to individually accept or reject their practices as a business and to spread the knowledge so others can do the same.

6 Likes

Do we know if Quakemz, Apolotary and/or Manofinterests trademarked the term? I really think the name is a big part of its popularity more so than its signature raindrop acoustic.

2 Likes

I did search for a US trademark and didn’t find one.

1 Like

No I do not think anyone involved with the actual creation of HPs trademarked it. On TopClack’s last stream there was a glorious rep in the chat & Quakemz was looking to get them on a future episode. So not sure how he really feels about this, chat stayed very civil too, no one called out or piled on the glorious rep. Although I think that was mostly due to how Quakemz was interacting with them. Hopefully Glorious does go on TC & this can all get aired out.

Honestly the more I think about it the more I realize this was bound to happen. With such a wildly popular product that is not trademarked or patented it was only a matter of time. In fact I’d argue if China had more stringent trademark/copyright/patent laws it would’ve have already happened. So while I still don’t like the way Glorious is going about this, I’d still be willing to at least hear their side of the story. Unfortunately I don’t see it being any deeper than we saw a hot unclaimed property & claimed it so we make all the money from it TBH.

4 Likes

Honestly, I appreciate the reminder to keep things civil (and itt seemed to have worked), but I just read this whole thread from the beginning because I found it fascinating! Sometimes an agitator is needed I guess.

Prior to this, I have been a fan of Glorious. I like their products and they seem to do right by their community (for now). I might give these a shot depending on the reviews but given what went down with Drop, I’m still cautious.

But ultimately thanks to all for the illuminating conversation!

3 Likes

the bi-yearly “molds were not destroyed” post by yet another shop… I wonder how often by now they were “not destroyed” (even though molds wear out pretty quickly) and then “discovered” again (just made a new set of molds from the same file)…

it’s kinda becoming a meme to bring back those molds… over and over.

on the trademark, fun times are over. companies claim community terms now and I doubt anyone can do anything about it - even boycotting wont help because the 99% of keyboard buyers wont know. buckle up because this is about to get way more commercialized.

3 Likes

I highly disagree with this, I think the custom MKB community has the buying power to make or break this venture for glorious. Think about it while HPs have become known outside of the community the have not become overly popular for gaming & still remain mainly purchased by us enthusiasts. If we reject this switch & glorious just has the random gamer or casual user who have heard of HPs buying here & there they’ll be lucky to make much if any profit from them.

Even if we don’t have the buying power I believe we have in situation we still have a good bit of influence in this. If gamer’s & casual users hear that MKB enthusiasts do not like the switches it’s definitely gonna negatively affect glorious’ sales of them. So whatever may happen I think voting with your wallet & not buying any if you feel like this a shady move by glorious is the best way to counteract it.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you are a bit harsh on them. Shure they asked if Kailh could do a something inappropriate, but that was just talking.
On the other hand they have done some really good work with their mouse’s on all departments. And from what I understand being supportive of the gaming community.

I’d don’t know if that’s a good enough reason to boycott a company. :thinking:(I bet you still buy products from companies that have done faaaaar worse things)
Or are you just rejecting the GloriousPanda(great name BTW) then I’d like to see some source criticism on the part we’re someone said Glorious asking Kailh about this.

1 Like

I believe you’re confusing Trademark with Patent law.

While there are many benefits to registering a word mark, in the US rights accrue to the first business to use the mark in commerce.

For me it’s just the switches & behaviour surrounding them that concern me. Also I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do with their money. Just stating I believe the community most likely has the buying power & influence to disrupt this product if we chose to not buy it. As for source criticism Mike from Novelkeys confirmed they asked for 3 pin cream clones. You’d have to search the reddit threads about it to find it though.

2 Likes

You are correct, I was forgetting that only patent law had been changed. My bad. In my defense, it was a wild change that pretty heavily eroded my faith in the USPTO.

That does mean it is the responsibility of the USPTO to properly evaluate the situation in this niche hobby, though :eyes:

2 Likes

I agree. This community has changed a lot within the past five years or so. During that time, market size has multiplied and with it came varying commercial interests. However, what’s continued to drive the hobby has been private community members. I absolutely appreciate people like HaaTa and Matt3o, among others. What worries me is that commercial interests will stymie community-driven innovations and creativity.

4 Likes

Component of a frankenswitch are not “just material costs” since frankenswitches are aftermarket goods.

Unless a company is losing money on every switch made, their IP costs, just like costs associated with prototyping, manufacturing, and marketing of the switch, are internalized as part of the overall price of the switch.

2 Likes

Honestly, Glorious is doing stupid move by filing this trademark, now they will directly in dispute with arguably bigger company (aka Drop), the whole debacles probably will cost time and money. But worse is, they portray themselves as anti-competitive maker in front of a mechkeeb community. I will welcome Glorious Panda because competitive is needed, but trademark the term and prevent other creators selling items (including merch ie shirts, sticker) related to HP is such unwise move. I suspect Glorious think they can waltz into the scene and make it :|. P/s: I will never buy Glorious stuff now

4 Likes

Everything else aside… The sneak peek at their packaging looks cool. Not making a value judgement on this, just an observation of nice looking packaging. Now, carry on everyone.

3 Likes

No surprises here. In my humble experience owning and operating a business, receiving a F rating from the BBB takes work and indicates complete indifference to the community you service. Bummer.

2 Likes

Looks like they posted a detailed background/explanation on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ikcbp3/the_future_of_the_glorious_holy_panda/

6 Likes

I’d like some royalty’s in the form of a box of the new Glorious Panda switches. :rofl:

I’m encouraged that they’ve withdrawn the copyright application for “Holy Panda” and replaced it with “Glorious Panda” - if what they have to say about their intentions is true, that moniker would be a better representation of it.

7 Likes

Folks always love for a good comeback story so people start praising Glorious for being transparent, but if they have thought/not underestimated community backlash beforehand they didnt need to do crisis management at the first place.

6 Likes