Glorious Pandas

I’d don’t know if that’s a good enough reason to boycott a company. :thinking:(I bet you still buy products from companies that have done faaaaar worse things)

The issue I have is that they appropriating terms coined by the community by trademarking them for their own gain… thats some really shady shit. Invyr makes panda, massdrop/inputclub made halo, random people mix it and come up with holy panda and it becomes its own term. third party comes in and says “thats now our term, we own it”… no thats not how this works.

2 Likes

that’s so correct @quixxxt, there is a lot of smooth talking going on now saying oh well they learned it from this and they didnt mean it. they definitely meant it because they went through with their decisions and are now simply backpedaling hard to get out of this mess as clean as possible.

2 Likes

BadSeed Tech / Glorious Panda Switch Review: Holy Cow they THOCC??

6 Likes

BadSeed has become one of my favorites; for all his personal flavor, the information he presents is always level-headed and frank. I think if Glorious had taken a different approach with releasing and marketing these switches - say consulting with and teasing them through guys like Brian here, these might have been a hit instead of a controversy. They look to be an interesting and solid switch in their own right, though obviously not a “holy panda”.

It looks like they were hoping for a big mic-drop - but they seriously mis-judged their delivery in addition to being out of step with the ethical sensibilities of their customers. So far their course-correction looks to be the right one - but at least for me, the “Glorious Panda” will always be a story about potential hubris being put in-check by the community.

7 Likes

Agreed. Doesn’t hurt that his vocal tone puts my brain right in the space it was in when I was watching the Super Mario Brothers Super Show as a younger version of myself.

3 Likes

Sometimes he sounds like DMX. I just think about some alternate universe where DMX is a tech reviewer as well. That would be a cool universe.

5 Likes

Right on! I find myself leaning a bit closer to the screen too.

1 Like

It’s a joy to imagine what this alternate universe DMX would be like:

“Stop, drop, shut 'em down, open up shop… because here’s my CES smart refrigerators rundown!”

“All I know is pain, All I feel is rain, How can I maintain… my trust in Apple’s commitment to quality after it took years to reverse course on the butterfly keyboard?”

4 Likes

they look like eggs.

3 Likes

I’ll be doing a lube & analysis stream on the Glorious pandas tonight :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ordered. Looking forward to them. Seems like linears got all the love last year and now suddenly tactiles are coming back! Blueberries, kiwis, Bobas, Glorious Pandas…

3 Likes

I’ve been a huge HP fan for some time. It’s exciting to see someone else providing another source of these switches! Going to be ordering me enough for one of my Plancks.

1 Like

I wonder how these compare to Moyu Blacks/Everglide Dark Jades.

I was considering ordering a 36 pack of these as a sample (along with some G-Lube) but I’ll just wait until they’re in continuous stock.

Well, I ordered some.

This whole thread/drama bomb has been educational to say the least. All I knew beforehand was that Holy Pandas were revered as the switch to have. Had no idea they started as a frankenswitch, or that ownership of the name was as crazy as it is. I’m glad Glorious seems to have the community’s best interest at heart in the end. I was worried I would have to feel disgusted by my Model D for the rest of it’s lifespan.

But yeah, I’m excited to finally try something that isn’t basic Gaterons. Browns have been my favorite so far, and it’ll be cool to have something fancier.

3 Likes

Yup, but the year of the clicky has me a bit nervous. Does everything just get louder or something? Or maybe Kailh can design xylophone style click bars so your keeb can play a tune :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Supposedly we also get a tactile Zeal switch with Alps inspired tactile leaf. At least something good is happening in 2020!

Year of the clicky - shudders at the thought - clicks tuned to notes to play a tune could be fun!

3 Likes

Wasn’t that year when jades and navies and box whites etc came out the year of the clickers? O

5 Likes

Windchime switches? Basically have all the clicks tuned to a certain arpeggio or song. r/mk fills to the brim with Amazing Grace tunings lol.

1 Like

I’d be totes down for some marimba / kalimba switches.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding [from reviews] that the Glorious stem is shorter than the Halo stem.

I didn’t read a lot about the bottom-out, and how the stem impacts the housings, but is it the case that the shorter Glorious stem doesn’t WHAM into the housing like the HP stem?

The BadSeed video makes them seem only somewhat louder than Gateron Browns.

I’m looking for HPs that don’t sound obscenely loud, so it’s between these and the POM Pandas for me.

2 Likes