Glorious Pandas

True, but maybe 2020 is the real year of the clickie switch because, by working from home, we can finally relish using clickie switches without pissing off the whole office.

1 Like

After reviewing the BadSeed video again, it seems that they are pretty close in sound profile to the Drop HPs.

The mic and my speakers don’t really pick up and output the thocky resonance that HPs create from bottom-out. I think the Glorious Pandas will be about as loud in real-life as HPs, due to a similar bottom-out.

2 Likes

Just an update on this. It is now dead

5 Likes

So how are the Glorious pandas?

From Taeha’s overview on his stream on Friday, the Glorious Panda has some ping. He was guessing that the issue is with the leaf.

3 Likes

The story never ends

10 Likes

Hahaha, drop has no chill. “We saw people got upset about this when THEY did it, but would they be more okay with it if we did it?”

4 Likes

It’s like they want to throw fuel on the fire at this point

Oof. Literally all they had to do was… not that.

5 Likes

I am not an expert but wasn’t there a time, before customizing keyboards became so mainstream, when the cherry mx housing was trademarked so all the niche tinkering that led to things like holy panda wouldn’t have been possible?

1 Like

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO amazing like how can they be that tone deaf

3 Likes

not a trademark but yeah, once the cherry mx patent expired it was open season for clones and tinkering as far as i understand it.

2 Likes

In a market like this “cool” is currency. And actions like Drop’s make your shit uncool right quick.

I’m sure everyone here knows what I mean, but Drop might not. Don’t worry Drop, I’ll translate this sentiment into something you might understand:

While it is generally advisable to take steps to protect intangible assets, remember: your Brand is also an intangible asset. Just because you have a much more credible claim for registering the mark than Glorious, there is a gulf between what is legal and what is advisable.

While I am sure historically your market position and brand awareness/quality KPIs have largely been unaffected by the opinions of the small percentage of “die-hard” hobbyists, this will not necessarily continue into the future because much of the rapid growth in the custom keyboard market is as a result of exposure to the space through influencers.

What may seem on the surface like a prudent move to protect IP, could result in brand tarnishment by deciding to register this mark in an atmosphere of controversy. I would say revisit registration of this mark when it’s not such a hot button issue. Pursuing this course of action right now increases your long-tail risk if it ultimately effects the overall perception of your brand.

3 Likes

Indeed.

For me personally, Drop is lining-up to swing on strike three.

• They couldn’t work things out with Input Club like big boys and girls.

• They couldn’t provide any technical resources for a product they sold, much less answer questions like “does this need a certain amount of power to work as advertised”.

• Now they can’t seem to realize how this action will sully the market value of the words “Holy Panda” faster than a day-trader can click “sell”.

As I saw it, even selling a product with that name in the first place was pushing it - and some of the adjacent claims are still dubious.

But trying to legally protect a name they had nothing to do with in the first place and that was already essentially public domain by the time they started selling with it? That’s some ol’ bullshit.

7 Likes

Ye, I already canceled a big order from them, now I started to think I am going to cancel the rest of them to. :thinking:

I think if they decide to withdraw this trademark application, somebody here should apply for it, and then withdraw. Then another person should step up and withdraw. Basically, we just keep this going for the giggles with a new application weekly.

4 Likes

I’ve never bought from Drop. Every strike is a nail in that coffin for me.

1 Like

Technically, Drop is the first vendor to sell Holy Pandas as a single product…but they’re also the only one capable of doing so due to Halo. I think it’s possible Drop could follow up with infringement lawsuits on products using the term “Panda”. I personally think we could all use a new “it” switch to move on from this drama.

6 Likes

This 100%.

4 Likes

Unfortunately trade mark tactics like this are here to stay. Dang it Glorious for open a whole can of worms to our community :expressionless:

2 Likes