I am planning a marriage of a FC980C with my newly acquired Heavy-9 in Aperture. I’m mulling over various modification options, so I thought I’d solicit some opinions from the community. Help me build my next end-game!
Firstly, I will need to purchase a Leopold for this build, and I am undecided between the FC980C 30g variant (AECX32) and the 45g variant (AECX02).
For reference, my daily board of choice is a Heavy Grail with purple sliders and stock silencing rings salvaged from a Realforce. I also use a stock Type-S from time to time. The closest experience I have had with 30g was actually my first experience with electro-capacitive switches: the Niz Plum 35g. I enjoyed the smooth, plush (cloud-like) typing feel, but my proclivity for aggressive, heavy typing often fatigued my fingers. I switched to 45g Topre and never looked back.
- How does 30g on the FC980C compare to 35g Niz?
- Is silencing necessary for the 30g domes? Given how light they are, I would imagine that the upstroke feedback is very low.
I’d also like to hear some opinions on alternative versus stock domes. I’ve not experimented with BKE, Carrots, DES, or any other aftermarket options. There are a number of sound tests recorded on Heavy-9 that use pink domes and sound very pleasant. Thus, I’m considering using pink domes, but I’m not sure whether to go DES v2, DES v3, DES BKE, or DES v2 Rounder BKE.
I am considering using DES sliders instead of the stock sliders for two reasons:
- I am not a big fan of the stock legends. It’s a good opportunity to try an MX set.
- I am concerned about reduced travel. I understand that plenty of folks use DES #3 with stock sliders and are happy, but I’m not sure that I’m willing to compromise the typing experience on an end-game board such as this.
But is spending $200+ on DES sliders and silencers worth an extra 0.1mm travel distance? Is it really that big of a deal? It seems the most compelling reason to splurge on DES sliders is to gain access to a wider variety of keycap options. Thus (assuming $100 for keycaps) the effective price of using MX keycaps is more realistically closer to $300+.
Do you agree with this assessment? Or are there are benefits using DES sliders that I am overlooking?
- Is silencing necessary for 30g stock domes?
- DES now offers #5 silencing rings made from silicone. I have only seen reviews of their #5 Originals. Has anyone used the #5 Silicones?
- In your opinion, is the typing experienced diminished when using #3 with stock sliders?
Just want to confirm, does Hasu’s aftermarket FC980C controller fit the Heavy-9 w/o modifications? It isn’t clear to me whether the mounting mounts are fully aligned.