Hi quality, low cost PBT keycap set PSA

Jesus that’s just piss poor handling of the situation

🤦

1 Like

The arrogance is strong in that one.

The better thing to do would, would have been to come back saying, that we can provide a similar / the same product at a reduced cost, while maintaining the same quality. Provided they have the means to back that up, but they just straight up flipped the table. lol

3 Likes

I’m looking for good Cherry profiles. Have you tried these with North facing led’s? Some Cherry caps have a slight issue hitting the switch top, effectively changing the bottom out feeling on one row.

Take a look at these - they’re spacing washers just the right size to keep this from happening. They’re also good for balancing especially troublesome stabs.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve bookmarked these. Thank you for posting them. They’re sold out, but I could find something similar. The caps these days seem to be case by case, so I figured I’d ask every time someone brings up a Cherry set. It’s not even that big a deal for me, as I prefer stiff springs that don’t usually bottom out, and any contact that does happen is minimal. Plus, I’ll soon have a south facing board alongside my norths.

1 Like

It really is case-by-case, at least when it comes to manufacturers. GMK / OG Cherry are thick enough to interfere, so it’s a somewhat common problem.

I learned a great way to test for it from :3ildcat - take a cap from the shortest row, put it on an un-mounted switch, and close it down on a strip of paper. If it grips the paper, you’ll have the interference issue.

Another thing that can help avoid the interference is choosing a switch that achieves reduced travel through some part of the stem being longer - even when bottomed-out, the stems don’t go down far enough to let the interference issue happen. Ink Yellows and Glorious Pandas are two stock examples of this kind of switch. For frankenswitches: Halo, Cream, and Kailh Pro stems tend to be good options.

One more kind of switch you could use to avoid the North-facing interference issue are Kailh’s Silent Box line, or the Art Box line they manufacture for Archon. Both series of switches have a shaved-down top housing that gives plenty of room for GMK caps.

1 Like

Hi quick question for those who bought this set–does your box say NYM84 keyset for the Vintage keycaps?

https://imgur.com/a/akSWhf4

It’s hard to show the color but the alphas are way more gray than Drop’s stock photo. I was hoping this would give Heavy Industry vibes but it is too gray and dark to do so. just fyi.

now waiting for the BoW set.

2 Likes

The manu of these might be idobao? I had a hami melon set produced by them, the mods and legends look pretty much spot on compared to these. The hami melon base set was like $30, so of course drop are charging $40 for theirs lol.

2 Likes

Hami Melon went on sale on AliExpress some time ago, maybe because of overstock, and the discount was huge. Like 135 or 168 keys for like $35 USD.

I put it in my cart, but couldn’t be bothered to get up early enough and remember to buy it. It would have been a great beater set for switch testing.

1 Like

Mine has been shipped, allegedly, so it might be on its way here soon.

If possible, please let us know if these keycaps are true Cherry profile. I’m interested to know if they will slam against wrong-facing housings.

1 Like

i…can check against Leopold but thats SS2…? would that be helpful?

edit: lemme try them against some GMK Miami/Sky Dolch accent keys after my meeting!

1 Like

Sure, thanks! Truth is, you don’t need comparison keycaps. Just try the “Artefact Bloom” Vintage keycaps on some north-facing LED switches, and see if the keycaps slam on the middle-row housings.

I guess having GMK helps, but it’s just to see if these Artefact Bloom keycaps are vulnerable to the compatibility issues with wrong-facing housings that GMK are.

heyo, i was happy to get away from the work hum drum anyway, so:

they look very close if not the same height as the GMK keycaps (I only had Esc, WASD and the 6.25u space to compare.)

1 Like

@HungerMechanic @insolentpotato

I’ve found :3ildcat’s method of using a small strip of paper to check for interference is pretty helpful. Take a loose switch and put one of the shorter caps on North-facing, then see if it grips the paper between the cap and non-LED side of the housing. If it comes out freely, there’s no interference. :+1:

I use this to determine whether or not a given build needs spacing washers; fewer of them had than I would have anticipated thanks to shorter travel being something of a trend.

3 Likes

Okay, mine finally arrived. I think these are rather nice for the price:

The colours in-person a like a subdued 9009, probably similar to Muted. I will try them with Muted PBT accents. And also with Artifact Bloom’s teal and blue accents.

In the case, as I haven’t mounted them yet. But they look and feel nice. Like an affordable ABS set made from PBT that probably won’t shine as quickly.

5 Likes

Let me know if your space bars are straight. I have 3 sets of these and all 3 have perfect space bars

1 Like

Hi everyone! If you want oem wob or bow, you probably won’t find a better set than these fully double shot Mistel keycaps. They’re the best $45 I’ve spent in kb parts:

They’re extremely close to the quality of my Leopold oem caps, which are my gold standard in keycaps. Actually, I prefer the Mistels now. My Leopolds measure 1.44mm, and you can feel their weight and dampening. The Mistels are 1.33mm, slightly ligher, and actually bring out the personality of a switch, while still sounding very thocky. Like Leopold’s, the Mistel legends are perfect, and the set comes with several difficult to find keys. Mistel makes a split 75% and a full size, so all the keys for those are included. The only key I missed was the menu key.

My spacebar was perfect, but if there are any issues, Amazon makes it real easy to fix. I’m not benefitting at all from telling you this, except I get to encourage a good company to keep selling incredible parts at a great price, and I get to share a great typing experience with all of you. Seriously, they’re that good, and I’m surprised I haven’t heard more about them.

8 Likes

I hadn’t heard about these - thanks for the tip. I’m a fan of solid, “middle-shelf” stuff like this - and I’ve been meaning to get an OEM or Cherry WoB set for ages now. I’ve always liked Ducky’s OEM profile caps for their totally decent quality, but those don’t fit on any of my preferred layouts - so for my 65’s, these Mistels seem like a great alternative at a similar price. And hey! As far as I can tell, they aren’t ripping off any community colorways, which is nice.

2 Likes

I had a Ducky One with white leds. I’m not sure if their shine-through is different than thier standard double shot, but I agree with you; they were perfectly decent quality. Looked great, felt nice, good middle quality. I had bought my Leopold at the same time, and had no problem selling the Ducky, mostly because of the superior caps. These Mistels are the only caps I’ve found that make me consider selling the Leopold. It’s a class above the usual sets anywhere near this price range.

1 Like

Nice. I picked up a set to check them out.