Hi quality, low cost PBT keycap set PSA

Also, it looks like Drop is working on expanding their color-way offerings. kunalkumar is polling the community to see what they’d like to see in the future. Looks like black-on-black might be a possibility as well as RGB and cyan mod kits, yay!

I swear I’m not trying to shill for Drop LOL, but it seems like there’s some interest in this topic.

1 Like

Haha, yes, I was just thinking about TreeCaps.

The colour is certainly similar.

Now I really regret not getting any. Because they could have been used with these accents.

Also, if they are looking for ideas, maybe they could draw some inspiration from ePBT Slate.

lol, those baggies. I remember getting extras of Godspeed MT3 and each cap came in a baggie. I had like 60 baggies. I kept them all and I do, in fact, use them to store springs!

1 Like

:slight_smile: Dev tty Round 1 kits also had baggies for each key. I still have a bag full of baggies :))

1 Like

I’m sure the smoothness of these was mentioned on this thread, but holy hell are they slick. I got a set of the blue accents to go with a ePBT Grayscale set and noticed how much smoother than ePBT they were (which I find to be really silky to the touch). Honestly, I’m not sure if I could type on a full set. The Dye-sub is great though and the color is vibrant so no complaints in those departments.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a good point.

They really are abnormally smooth, to the point where I doubt they are actually made from ePBT tooling. That was kind of a wild speculation.

Plus, I haven’t done any measurements, and these are probably thinner than ePBT.

It remains to be seen if I can actually type on them. I’m curious. I ordered the Vintage set, so we’ll see!

I’ve been using the set for a couple of weeks now and I actually prefer the smoothness to that of an ePBT keyset. They provide enough grip for my fingers.

2 Likes

I just purchased HK Gaming Canvas:

The surface texture of these keycaps is similar to the teal / blue accent keys I posted earlier,

As others have said, although there is smoothness like some ePBT sets, it’s actually smoother, and may be too smooth.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to mount these on anything. The Artifact Bloom “Vintage” set is likely to be similar, and may even be from the same manufacturer as HK Gaming.

2 Likes

The “smoothness” you mention remind me a lot of the keycaps that come with the Tokyo60.

This photo album is all I think of now when people mention HK Gaming

https://imgur.com/a/bZoe4XR#I6muMFc

11 Likes

:eyes::exclamation:

These hk gaming guys seem like swell people, let’s give em a chance :^)

3 Likes

:dizzy_face:

Jesus that’s just piss poor handling of the situation

🤦

1 Like

The arrogance is strong in that one.

The better thing to do would, would have been to come back saying, that we can provide a similar / the same product at a reduced cost, while maintaining the same quality. Provided they have the means to back that up, but they just straight up flipped the table. lol

3 Likes

I’m looking for good Cherry profiles. Have you tried these with North facing led’s? Some Cherry caps have a slight issue hitting the switch top, effectively changing the bottom out feeling on one row.

Take a look at these - they’re spacing washers just the right size to keep this from happening. They’re also good for balancing especially troublesome stabs.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve bookmarked these. Thank you for posting them. They’re sold out, but I could find something similar. The caps these days seem to be case by case, so I figured I’d ask every time someone brings up a Cherry set. It’s not even that big a deal for me, as I prefer stiff springs that don’t usually bottom out, and any contact that does happen is minimal. Plus, I’ll soon have a south facing board alongside my norths.

1 Like

It really is case-by-case, at least when it comes to manufacturers. GMK / OG Cherry are thick enough to interfere, so it’s a somewhat common problem.

I learned a great way to test for it from :3ildcat - take a cap from the shortest row, put it on an un-mounted switch, and close it down on a strip of paper. If it grips the paper, you’ll have the interference issue.

Another thing that can help avoid the interference is choosing a switch that achieves reduced travel through some part of the stem being longer - even when bottomed-out, the stems don’t go down far enough to let the interference issue happen. Ink Yellows and Glorious Pandas are two stock examples of this kind of switch. For frankenswitches: Halo, Cream, and Kailh Pro stems tend to be good options.

One more kind of switch you could use to avoid the North-facing interference issue are Kailh’s Silent Box line, or the Art Box line they manufacture for Archon. Both series of switches have a shaved-down top housing that gives plenty of room for GMK caps.

1 Like