HuB - a keycap profile coming soon

help me out here. Sprue marks are on the South or North edge of the cap? I see the row number marker on the underside, but I want to make sure I don’t goof up and put them on upside down.

Sprue and number are at the back of the cap away from user

1 Like

Quite nice. Texture is great. Subtle sculpt is more comfortable than DSA or XDA to me. Homing scoops are the sex to my fingers

8 Likes

Got mine too. Overall I like em, great feel, sculpt feels pretty good too.:tada: :tada:

The only thing I noticed are the tolerances with the switch stem holes. Seem pretty inconsistant all around. Some are too tight and I really gotta force the cap onto the switch. Some are just the right size making it fairly easy to slide on/off.

The only complaint I have is with the 2.75u key - useable but holes are loose enough that things start to rattle, I have to hit it just right to be able to tune it out which fortunately isn’t too hard to do. It’s definetly keycap related, had a KAT, MT3, and Cherry keycap on previously and it was fine, took the board apart to make sure and if you hit the switch on one side you can see the other side shift up slightly off the stab stem.

I know this was more of a prototype/interest run but any chance of being able to get a better 2.75u?

I’m also missing one or two keys(not terribly important, I have enough to filil my board) + I have 2 extra cap I can send back if other people are missing theirs.

1 Like

for loose stems I would use a thin piece of plastic on the stem. I’ve done this for many other caps from other manufacturers and it’s worked well.

As for missing caps just send me an email evan@thevankeyboards.com and include your address, cap color, and a description of what’s missing and I’ll get replacements sent out

2 Likes

the numbers on the inside with the row number have to be one of the greatest innovations in keyboards I have seen in the last few years. Seriously, figuring out what row blanks are always sucks big.

2 Likes

Built a keyboard for my little brother today. He’s pretty stoked about it.

5 Likes

some quotes from folks who have received and used their sets, a review of HuB profile, and lots of pictures can be found at the following link.

1 Like

Gave it a quick test on my still out-of-service Alphasmart… and it’s exactly what I hoped it’d be.

Did it get enough love to consider more runs?

Too soon to tell yet. Hopefully as more people get sets the rest will sell quicker and quicker.

1 Like

2 Likes

I know this thread is basically dead, but I just received my HuB caps and want to say that they are extremely comfortable to type on. The softer edges, compared to cherry profile, are much more forgiving to my sloppy touch typing (where often I hit the edge of keys or slightly between two).

Also, if anyone uses hot-swap boards with north facing switch sockets and is sick of cherry profile keycaps clacking against the switch housing, I can confirm that there is zero contact using HuB. Another user I was talking to recently said there was mild contact between SOUTH facing switches and the R3 HuB caps, but I did not find the same problem in my testing.

Anyway, awesome profile Evan. I’ll probably have to pick up another bag while they’re on sale…

3 Likes

Thanks for leaving your feedback! I’m glad you’re enjoying them. It’s too bad HuB won’t ever see the life I intended for them, but at least I got to make some prototype sets and let a few people try them.

2 Likes

So I was typing out some inventory and listed HuB caps. My mind just exploded. Did you name these HuB because they would be HuBcaps? Like hubcaps for your minivan/garbage truck/caravan??

Anyways, have a nice day.

6 Likes

Haha it took me a long time to realize that too

2 Likes

Every van needs some hub caps

6 Likes

oh my god…

3 Likes