[IC] 1.2mm AEK 60% Layout Brass Plates

Count me in for one. :upside_down_face:

Hey folks, quick update on this. Got a quote back from my laser cutter and for some reason, the cost is 2x the cost to cut each Modern M0110 plate. I’m going to try and find out why as that doesn’t necessarily make a ton of sense to me, but otherwise I need to spend a bit more time finding another vendor so stay tuned. No promises on timing yet, I’m really busy getting all the vendor orders out now for Modern M0110 so prioritizing that first, and then once I get some breathing room I’ll try to get this out the door. Thanks folks!

Hey folks! Thanks to a little push from @mog, I’m putting out some more feelers since I also just started talking to some other China manufacturers about another project (shhhh :D) but wanted to gauge the community on plate finishing options. How do you feel about polish + PVD versus blasted (even matte finish) versus brushed? Let me know in the poll!

Example PVD finish:

(image credit: Keyclack.com)

• Blasted (matte finish, will tarnish over time)
  • Brushed (no clear coat, will tarnish)
  • Brushed (w/ clear coat, won’t tarnish)
  • Polished + PVD coated (shiny, won’t tarnish)

0 voters

polished + PVD assuming it doesn’t cost a whole lot more.

Honestly, that is my preference but any option is fine.

2 Likes

Heh okay so a quick update, it looks like brushed + clear coat will be around $40/plate, and PVD polished closer to $50-60/plate. Brushed and polish+PVD look to be pretty close in terms of interest so looks like brushed is the winner here?

Let me know what you want folks and I’ll make it happen, just not feasible to do both for the first round.

ALSO: one other thing about this run, I’m going to do pre-orders but it isn’t going to be a GB in the traditional sense. I’ll open a pre-order which lets you order plates at a slight discount to retail, but I won’t wait until the end of pre-order to order from the factory, meaning you will get the plates sooner and I’ll also plan to stock these in my store Desk Candy.

With the information on prices I personally would prefer the brushed with clear coat. I’m not going to look at the plate after I put the caps on. I’m sure most people would disagree though. I care more about function than anything.

I’d love to have one together with the XD60 V3.
But as i’m in germany i guess shipping kills if for me… :frowning:

Brushed is fine for me . I’m cheap and will barely ever see the plate. Function over form.

Just a heads up though, XD60 v3.0 doesn’t support AEK layout so this plate and that PCB won’t be compatible with each other. You can get an Alps64 from Hasu though (or handwire if you’re feeling ambitious)

Thanks, that is fine. I own an Alps64 with that PCB plate and dampened Alps, would like to upgrade it to orange on brass. :smile:

Ballpark for brushed + clear coat option would be $35 preorder ($40 retail), shipping within US probably around $3 and international $15 so if you pre order and ship to Germany looking around US$50 for a plate.

2 Likes

I would love this! Definitely in for one

the clueboard 60 supports aek

Glad to see this moving forward. Mark me down for three.

Awesome!

So latest update, I am moving forward on the plan for brushed + clearcoated plates at the $40 price point ($35 if you pre-order). I ordered some samples which should be here for me to test by labor day (9/3) and if the plates look good, then I’ll open up a pre-order on Desk Candy.

Thanks everyone!

6 Likes

happy to see this moving forward, count me in for one!

I’d be in for one if it happens! Pretty solid price point that I would definitely be interested in hopping on for.

Very quick update - samples should be on their way to me as of this weekend, and if those are good then I’ll open up pre-orders (timing hopefully getting plates by end of next week) and eventually convert to regular orders once I get the full order (assuming I don’t run out :D)

4 Likes

Awesome to hear! Been eyeing these plates up since you posted the IC, my Hasu64 build needs one of these to replace the janky plate I cut out of an actual AEKII plate, LOL! Actually that worked out pretty well, I just cut it to fit a KBDfans Lambo clone 60% case & it doesn’t fit well or at all into my other cases because of that.

Hello amazing patient people :slight_smile:

I got the prototype this past weekend. The factory accidentally sent me a plate cut from 1.0mm thick brass plate instead of 1.2mm. But other than that, the plate was good and cuts were clean (this is laser cut, not waterjet so the edges are pretty smooth). Since the cuts turned out well and the factory acknowledged their mistake, I ordered a larger quantity in 1.2mm thickness, which should arrive to me in 1-2 weeks. Therefore, I opened up pre-orders :smiley:

If you want to place an order now, you will get the early bird pricing of $35. If I still have stock left by the time everything arrives, I’ll bump up the price to $40 and move this product listing over to “in stock” from “group buy”.

Thanks everyone and hope this project leads to some cool new builds!