[IC] 660C-X: A custom MX compatible PCB for your FC660C aftermarket case

I am very sorry to say that I’ve just let this project fall by the wayside. I started down this road when I had a lot of downtime and as it got closer to a reality my work picked back up. With how busy I’ve been and two toddlers at home, my free time has become extremely limited. I would still very much like to get this done but the last time I checked in with my manufacturers the prices were too high to make this possible, I am just not in the position to take on an extra project that might lose me money right now.

I will check back in with the manus to see if pricing has changed at all but from what I’ve heard lately, everything is still on short supply and prices are still a little nutty.

Again, sorry for the lack of updates, I’ve just been at a standstill with this project.

10 Likes

I was contacted by the creators of the Ingot66 to see if this could be compatible with their case as well. That interaction has got me to start looking at this thing again. I am having some modifications done to the plate to accommodate burger mounting and also testing to see if this could work with the Ingot66 as well. I will be reaching out to the PCB manu this week to get a new quote.

9 Likes

woop woop :partying_face:

1 Like

heya, it’s been awhile since I checked this out. How’s the project going?

after waiting for this so long , I wont be getting my hopes up on you finishing this project.

since you wont share you files and help the community out, im working on one myself and starting from scratch .

2 Likes

Not sure that anyone is under any obligation to share files, but as you mentioned you’re doing, you’re welcome to design and sell your own!

7 Likes

how’s that project going?

Great actually , I designed a PCB and Plate, PCBunlimited.com made the pcb for me and Sendcutsend made the Plate out of Carbon fiber.

I have a working unit that I use daily. Do I plan on selling it ? Probably not due to my day job taking up most of my time.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with navigating pcb manufacturing sites but I am familiar with sendcutsend (had plates made with them before).

How much did it cost to make the pcb? and is there led underglow?(for pc heavy-6 users)

1 Like

Just wanted to post here and say that I can no longer work on this project, although that may have been pretty obvious already.

If anyone is interested in picking this up where I left off, I will be more than happy to share any information/files that I have with you. I will also be selling everything I have related to this project, so if you’re interested in that as well, just shoot me a message. I plan to post the Heavy-6 case, PCBs, and all of the plates I have made in the Classifieds section soon.

Thanks to everyone who showed interested, sorry I couldn’t bring it to market.

6 Likes

thank you for revitalizing and pushing development for the H6/Urbi case in particular.

If like to echo tato on this one: your product photos inspired me to try to achieve the same on topre, and Dave has since made an entire controller for this purpose. We appreciate your efforts :grin:

2 Likes

it’s a shame it didn’t come to life. It’s literally my perfect keyboard. My favorite form factor, my favorite Norbauer case, MX keycaps, RGB…

Hopefully someone will pick up where you left off one day.

1 Like

I love this project and was very inspired by this project as Rooski15 mentioned. Sorry, it did not make it to the GB step :frowning:

Might be useful to someone wanting to continue this project:

PCB

GitHub: nt-660

Similar open source PCB adapted for Heavy-6 mx setup (it does NOT have split backspace).

• (Do not populate the mini-usb connector and it fits in the heavy-6 case… or bonus challenge populate it and try to figure out the least destructive way to remove it… I learned the hard way :frowning: )
  • Connector for RGB strip
  • Daughterboard design for USB-C connection.

GitHub: Daughterboard heavy-6 USB-C

Plate

More difficult part imo

Bent plate or some kind of stacked plate would be necessary. A flat plate did not have enough strength in the middle due to only having screws on the left and right sides of the case. I tried 2 different design of 3d printed 4.5mm plate which still had too much bounce. Ended up cutting a stock fc660m plate for mine which worked great.

3 Likes

Laserboost now offer to bend their plates as an additional service.
This may be interesting for this particular case.

maybe, but if I remember right, the bend needed on that plate was particularly tricky to manufacture. But you never know.

1 Like