[IC] Conic Keyboard - Budget 50% Ortho

That sounds exciting! Appreciate that you are willing to change the name. Such flexibility is what keeps the true spirit of a community-influenced projects alive.

Also, would be easier for new comers, including me, to remember the names of such special projects. Looking forward to your PCB.

I’ve got one feature request. Can you make it or offer hot-swappable version of the same? Also SMD LEDs for BOX switches.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Since a new name is being considered, you might as well choose one that is part of a line of products you can make later. Maybe ninja-inspired. Like Katana or Shuriken or something

1 Like

I won’t be able to add LEDs, as it would require me to redo a large portion of the PCB. I might be able to make a hot swap/SMD LED edition later on, it just would be a lot more expensive. I’m trying to make this a budget-focused design, and adding $18 worth of hot swap sockets would not seem right for an inexpensive keyboard.

I get your point about making it affordable. Thanks for playing along with my limited understanding of PCB designing. :slight_smile:

I hope there will be footprints at least for the folks who want to make it hot-swappable. Because working with holtites is a dangerous experience for us novices.

There’s a Katana60 staggered board by RominRonin.

Fractal sounds super cool, IMHO.

I would like to know how different the keyboard community could be if there was a trademark bully back when Jack was starting to make boards.

1 Like

I think it’s a bit extreme to call Jack a trademark bully. He gives away so much to the community. I think you should take some time and actually learn about who Jack is and what he does. Maybe do some self reflection as well.

6 Likes

planck isn’t a sub atmoic particle. it’s a person’s name Max Planck

1 Like

I know plenty about him and what he does. I also see the changes that his attitude (and yours though I won’t say anything about you in case I get death threats from your minions again) are making to the community and I think there is a way of dealing with things that handles things best for both sides and aggressively acting in defense of your personal profits isn’t a positive thing for the keyboard community at large.

It might look to you as if this is flippant commentary but that is not how I personally see it, thanks for attacking me personally though.

I’d be interested if there was a grid layout option and it had nice high-end case, like solid milled aluminum or wood.

I didn’t attack you and I apologize for anyone that made death threats to you. I do not endorse that type of behavior and never communicated such things to anyone. I am not defending personal profits. I think people see me as a vendor and think I’m just rolling in cash, this is quite far from the truth.

I just have been seeing tons of vendor hate and I don’t really think it is warranted, especially when so many of the vendors are very small shops. TheVan Keyboards is me and Steven.

I’m sorry you felt personally attacked by me. That was not my intention and I hope you can forgive me.

I have a a few issues with the OLKB dot com offerings that drive me to look for alternatives. 2 of the biggest are poor availability(everything is constantly out of stock), and Jack keeps changing the designs in ways that make parts incompatible with each other. There are other minor reasons, but these 2 are super frustrating and drive me away from that company.

2 Likes

Please don’t misconstrue me as being anti-vendor. That is not my intention at all.

I’m anti this specific type of behaviour and I think as long as people behave sensibly and fairly they deserve to be rewarded and compensated for the work they put in.

Jack keeps changing the designs in ways that make parts incompatible with each other

I’ve been trying to prioritize compatibility since the PCB was introduced, and all of the Planck PCBs with all of the (e: past) parts - the rev 3 Preonic was the first time I’ve had to introduce a (semi) breaking change to that design. The Hi-Pro, Lo-Pro, and EOTW incompatibilities are frustrating, but I want to introduce new designs and form factors without being tied to the initial plate design from three years ago.

But now that they’re both hot-swappable (for MX), hopefully this will be less of an issue :slight_smile:

Availability is hard, but I’m hoping that other stores stocking parts will help with that, along with letting people support whatever store front they want, and get things without paying huge shipping fees.

1 Like

What changes are you referring to? I’m not sure I’m responsible for these, but I’m interested in your PoV here.

planck isn’t a sub atmoic particle. it’s a person’s name Max Planck

This is true, but it also refers to the Planck length/units, which is where the idea came from - “the smallest possible keyboard,” which has been proven wrong several times haha.

I would like to know how different the keyboard community could be if there was a trademark bully back when Jack was starting to make boards.

I’m not sure how this would change things - there were no keyboards named similar to mine at the time. Trademark stuff like this only really applies when the products are similar, or it’s huge enough that they’re going to stop all use of it (eg Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc).

After I introduced the Planck/Atomic, there were a couple other boards that popped up in the same theme: Lepton, Quark, Neutrino, etc. I helped produce plates for a couple of them, but they weren’t my projects - I have no ownership over all these sorts of names.

I worded my previous reply poorly. That was a more general statement I was making and not directed specifically to you.

Really impressed to see you designing keyboard PCBs already! We’ve met at a couple of meetups (maybe just the January one?) And I think you were just starting to get into keyboards. You’re definitely going places! Looking forward to see the kinda stuff you design.

4 Likes

Wanted to say this. Also, refers to units of time, too. (planck space, and planck time).

And yeah, the Gherkin and the like are definitely smaller, and super cute! :slight_smile:

Danck* oh wait, Contra* at least get it right lol

You can’t copyright a layout

2 Likes

Thanks for saying this Hiney, people get insanely defensive with nonstandard layouts and that seems really silly to me. Ex: I’ve seen many call the Kyuu a copy of the TGR 910 when the only thing that is similar is the layout and the blocker in the corner.

2 Likes