[IC] Conic Keyboard - Budget 50% Ortho

At the end of the day there’s only so many ways to make a mechanical keyboard. Sure there’s been countless boards which have taken inspiration from others - be it layout, a feature, case design, you name it. These things don’t mean someone’s trying to “Take customers away” or “infringe on someone’s territory”. It’s a keyboard for christ’s sake

4 Likes

Can we keep this IC on-topic please?

3 Likes

I can’t add footprints for Kailh hotswap sockets because the holes needed would interfere with the switches. I wish I could, but it isn’t physically possible.

Aghhh i can’t remembere where i saw it, but in the last day or two someone posted a PCB with Kailh hotswaps rotated 90 degrees that lets you have a few layout options.

1 Like

Thank you once again for entertaining my silly suggestions. :slight_smile:

It’s a pleasure to learn a little nuances every day. So I appreciate your patience.

I understand you’re doing this for the first time and it is humbling to see folks such as @jackhumbert, @drashna and @evangs offering you support, tips and guidance already.

Makes me proud of being part of such a community, irrespective where they post / hang around / offer products.

Hope you guys are having a good weekend. Cheers!

4 Likes

that’s mine over on the kumo thread http://typedifferent.org/assets/img/02MEDIA.png

2 Likes

It looks like I could make hotswap footprints if I put the hotswap socket upside down, I’ll have to try it. I can’t guarantee that I can include that feature on this board, but I will try.

1 Like

I’d rather suggest you to keep it for Rev 2 or something. Can’t wait the board already. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

the biggest issue with multi layout support and hotswap sockets is when stabilized switches are involved. you would either need to switch to plate mount stabs or sacrifice layouts.

1 Like

also I went sideways with them because if you just go top bottom you will have overlap with the large center hole of the switch footprint where the socket mount covers it.

1 Like

yeah I thought it was you, thanks!

1 Like

I’ll probably do that, adding hotswap would require redoing a lot of the board (moving all the diodes, re-routing, finding a new place for the Pro Micro, etc.) and isn’t something I can do right now if I want the GB to start soon.

I’ll be honest here, after your IC post, I watched a PCB making factory’s video by ‘Strange Parts’ yesterday. Man, that’s one complicated and lengthy process! Made me realise how difficult it is to accommodate complex designs and requirements … just for the end user’s comfort.

Much respect to you guys for designing such amazing boards while still entertaining our crazy ideas/demands.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve watched that video, the factory he showed is actually the factory I’m getting these PCBs made at. There are software tools to automate much of the design process, but a lot of the process has to be done by hand.

2 Likes

After a lot of feedback, I’ve revised the board to add more features and make it nicer. Here are some pictures:

I’ve decided to use a PCB plate and bottom for the case. There might be an optional clear acrylic middle layer, I’m still working on figuring that out with the person who will be doing the laser cutting. There are now headers for the ISP pins of the Pro Micro, as well as a header pin for the one unused pin. I’ve also removed and modified some layers.

I’m trying to choose a color for the plates and the PCB right now. I think I’m going to go with white, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. I’ve included a poll with the available colors.

Thanks for all the support, you are helping this keyboard become a reality.

• Green
  • Red
  • Yellow
  • Blue
  • White
  • Black

0 voters

2 Likes

nice updates :smiley:

For what it’s worth, I think Fractal is a way cooler name than Conic.

1 Like

this is a cool project, i’m interested depending on cost.

I just submitted a pull request to add Fractal into QMK, so there will be support for it. The pro micros that come in the kits will be tested and flashed with the default firmware.

5 Likes

Woo!

Yeah saw it, and there is feedback left on it.
No rush though, whenever you’re able to get to it.

Edit: and now it’s merged! Congrats!

1 Like