[IC] Conic Keyboard - Budget 50% Ortho

Oh, and in case you weren’t aware, since it’s now merged, it shows up in the QMK Configurator automatically!

:slight_smile:

So if you want, you can direct people there to compile custom layouts, if the don’t want to compile from source.

2 Likes

I’ve decided to 3d print the optional middle layer because 3d printing provides the best price (laser cutting or waterjet would be over $20). Because I can choose what color to make it, I have another poll. It seems like the plates/PCB will be black, so keep that in mind.

What color do you want the middle layer of the case to be?

• Black
  • Silver
  • White
  • Transparent Red
  • Transparent Blue
  • Orange
  • Yellow
  • Blue
  • Red

0 voters

translucent white would be nice with an RGB strip or two.

1 Like

This, emphatically. :smiley:

Not sure if 3d printing with translucent materials work very well. The result is very different from clear acrylic.

Translucent PETG works pretty well for this purpose, and IMHO it gives it kind of a cool retro-futuristic vibe (kind of Blade Runner).

Source: have several 3D printers, and print mostly in PETG (occasionally PLA, have had zero luck with ABS so far)

I got some questions. Will a high profile alu case be offered with a plate?

Also will the PCB components be pre soldered like the diodes and smd’s.

Thank you.

I mean, I’m not the guy running stuff here, but I’m gonna go ahead and say I really doubt it. That would kinda defeat the purpose of a budget PCB… Why wouldn’t you just go ahead and get a preonic at that point?

1 Like

Thank you kind sir. :slight_smile:

Hey man! This keyboard looks great! I was planning on building a super cheap keyboard, and this looks perfect. I just can’t afford that custom nonsense. Jack boy’s planck and preonic are also pretty pricey, but I think all that cost is coming from the SMD soldering (god bless Jack, not meaning ill on you)

This is also great because the case is 3D printed, which is cheap. However, I’m not sure if I should grab this one. I know someone who has a pair of let’s split PCBs who said that he could give them to me for the price of shipping. I’m not sure which one would come out cheaper at the end, since you can also 3D print plates for those.

The thing that’s really appealing about this is that there are more keys on this. Which would be better, and not having to deal with cramming all the keys and extra symbols due to a lack of a number row, where you can put the FN keys much more easily.

I’m gonna be keeping a half-eye on this project, and see how it goes. If the files were released publicly so anyone could order them off some PCB maker (like how 40percentkeyboards.com does it), that would be super cool, and it could maybe even take off as an open-source ortho keyboard like the Gherkin.

:grinning:

1 Like

Is there a reason why you didn’t just go sideways with all of the switches instead of just the mods?

no, not really. they aren’t all the same direction on the bottom row thought, so I dunno. It doesn’t really matter unless you are trying to do through hole leds

I can confirm what @jetpacktuxedo said.
There aren’t any SMD components, although you can choose to use SMD diodes instead of through hole diodes if you want. The diodes will not be pre-soldered.

I’ve launched the group buy at Maintenance | KeyPCB. I’ll be creating a separate post about it.

5 Likes

congratulations on the launch and good luck with your sale!

What is the thickness of the middle/standoffs?

12mm.

Nice. That means enough height to socket the pro micro

If you get LoPro sockets, then it doesn’t take much more space than the plastic headers it comes with. Highly recommend those, as … well, yeah… :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Ships to Continental US only” This is unfortunate.