[IC] H87a: QMK-powered TKL PCB

hey

Invisibiliti approached me about making a QMK-progammable PCB for his 10-unit run polycarb/acrylic (I forget which) Unicorn TKL group buy. He sent me a broken (some diodes and the USB port were borked) Mech27 PCB to use for reference. I’ve noticed a gap in proper QMK “kustom” TKL PCBs, so I’m here to fill that gap.

At this point, I’ve received the 10 PCBs for this run and have assembled one of them. I ordered diodes of the wrong package size, so I’m waiting for those to come in.

RGB works nicely

In-switch LED works nicely

Okay so yeah, anyway.

Specs:

• TKL PCB
  • Programmable via QMK
  • “Skinny A87” form factor - same footprint as B87, but same USB placement and stab layout as A87.
  • Standard ANSI and WKL bottom rows, ISO enter, short right and left shifts, 2u backspace
  • Top-side Mini USB port
  • Spacebar stab is under the spacebar switch (this is important for kustoms, and generally dictates compatibility). Full stab orientation pic
  • RGB underglow
  • One-color in-switch LED
  • Powered by Atmega32U4 MCU
  • No physical reset switch - just short two pins on the PCB (for case compatibility)
  • Pins to solder a daughter board on (Moon TKL, for example)
  • Fully soldered and pre-programmed with a basic TKL map out of the box

Note that compatibility will vary for this. It is not a drop-in PCB for any TKL. It will be the buyer’s responsibility to ensure that the PCB will work with their target case/board. I’ll work on gathering a compatibility list from some sources I have in the community. I do have plans to make an “H87b” version that has the spacebar stab swapped to the north side of the switch.

I expect to have these built and shipped to my 10 prototype buyers in the next two weeks. Once that is done, I will focus on getting this to market and mass production.

Price

At this moment based on my quotes/math, I’ll be able to charge $45 per PCB with an MOQ of 50. If the total order number reaches 100, I should be able to drop that to $40 (TBD). These prices aren’t 100% final yet, but are very close to my pricing goals.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave em below. I hope this can help the western keeb community get away from bootmapper/jigon.

15 Likes

good work, looking forward to seeing how this will turn out

1 Like

thank you so much for opening it up for the public :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love your work Hiney. Keep it up bud!

would the spacebar stabilizers be secured by those thin “loops” for the hooks?

From what I can tell, yes. If the proto people have issues, I’ll encapsulate them like other PCBs have done.

Would inverting the orientation of the spacebar stabs be better? The TX87 PCB has the same orientation as this, and they had to extend the pcb by a few mm around the spacebar because of it. It led to the PCB not fitting in some kits.

A87 PCBs don’t have the problem, as the spacebar stabs are oriented the other way. The stab housing hooks are up, and the clip in ends are at the bottom. Non issue as the clips cling to the sides of the hole.

EDIT: btw, I need a pcb for a kit I own, and I’m hoping this would fit :smiley:

I think I’ll have to add the outcrop for this version, depending on how testing these goes. I do plan to make an H87b version with the spacebar stab north-facing.

Posting as a sign of interest.

A TKL PCB for sub-$50? I’m so in. For more than one.

Looks interesting, especially at that price point. What are the mounting options? It looks like there are cutouts on the physical boards that aren’t there on the renders. I have been looking into TKL boards, but the current PCBs make wood cases very difficult. If you’re interested, I’d like to talk about adding some mounting points to make different case designs possible.

As an aside, other than costing half as much, what are the differences from the LFK TKL?

Definitely down if hotswappable :smile:

interested also

Yes! Love that there is some work being done on QMK powered TKLs. Couldn’t agree more that there is a destinct lack of them in the community.

Looks like this one doesn’t support a split spacebar layout, nor does it have all those extra switch positions around the nav cluster.

no hotswap sockets.

1 Like

No split space and this PCB will fit custom boards with the smaller distance between the Fn row and alphas

If this is a direct replacement to Leeku and runs QMK, I’m in!

alps support please!

it’s happening don’t worry