[IC] hbcp - Custom Compact 1800

hey

The 1800 and compact 1800 layouts are by far my favorite for keyboards, and I wanted to create an 1800-based layout board of my own. After experiences with the Leopold FC980M and seeing other compact 1800 boards around, I’ve come up with the HBCP.

The design is obviously very simple - something I definitely wanted to do. The indicator area is based on the original Cherry G80-1800 indicators. I’m considering getting some screen-printed polycarb or brass (or something else, idk) badges for the area with indicator symbols.

Case features:

• Top/bottom materials: 6061/6063 Aluminum
  • Plate materials (to be finalized): Aluminum, stainless steel (maybe), brass, polycarb, maybe tungsten (rare expensive edition)
  • Weight materials: Alu, stainless (maybe), brass, maybe tungsten (expensive edition)
  • No RGB underglow because I don’t like it
  • optional half plate version of plate
  • USB type C connector
  • colors - not sure yet. proto will be black. i guess this depends on the final manu. my ideal color offering will be black, medium grey, silver, red, blue, green, gold.
  • 4 degree angle
  • optional o-ring dampening for plate - you literally just put o rings between the case/plate/screws
  • no switch top opening
  • might add some sound dampening as an extra thing if people would want it

Layout support:

• Bottom row: 1.5-1.5-7-1.5-1.5; 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.5-1.5; 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1-1-1.
  • ISO: maybe with a separate plate, not sure how to approach bc i don’t really care for iso (sorry)
  • Split backspace
  • Split vertical 2u keys on the numpad (ie four 1u’s instead of two 2u’s)
  • Stepped caps lock
  • KLE (thanks to AceRecon from discord):

PCB: I’ll be designing this as well

• Aforementioned layout support
  • Definitely QMK support
  • Maybe Keyplus support (support for both can be done with the same PCB depending on the controller I use, i think)
  • In-switch one-color LED backlighting (not implemented with keyplus yet)
  • No underglow (no need because the case doesn’t support underglow)
  • USB type-C connector
  • PCB-mount stabilizer support
  • can’t decide between 1.6mm or 1.2mm thick PCB, 1.2mm would be fun

At this point I am looking for a factory to use for CNC and anodizing/finishing. It’s been tough finding a reliable source on contact info, but I won’t give up.

More pics:

Full plate (supports ISO):

Half/partial plate (does not support ISO because of the cutout area conflicting):

Here’s the bottom:

18 Likes

nice

I like the idea of single color backlighting for each switch. I feel like it’s more classy and better looking than all the ARR GEE BEE that’s around. Plus I imagine that it’s easier/cheaper than pcbs/programming with RGB leds in switches.

RGB is the worst and I hate it tbh

2 Likes

lol. it can look okay, but in general, it tends to look like anything GAMER, which I’m not wholly against, but is not the scope of this board, from what I gather.

I said I wouldn’t get any more boards this year, but I will be keeping an eye on this one.

I’m in the market for an 1800 too :thinking:

Not my layout but this is clean. I dig those indicators and the little recess.

I’m gonna buy this so fast if I can afford it.

The half plate 1800 is very interesting and something that I haven’t seen too often. Usually this is on TKLs. Solid start :+1:

1 Like

I’ve been on the lookout for an 1800 or 96key with a minimalist design and USB C.

This ticks all of those boxes. Definitely interested.

Would love to hear more about the tungsten version; not super familiar with it as a case material.

It’d just be for the weight and plate, not the whole case. I’m assuming it’ll be expensive af either way

Decided to re-model the whole case tonight bc I was unhappy with how I did it the first time. Also changed to a 5 degree angle

4 Likes

Would you consider plate option with switch top opening?

no

5 Likes

would you consider making this board out of wrought iron?

yes

Would you consider making the weight out of U235?

why stop there - why not just build a reactor?

Okay, no problem.

Will be happy to see the progress going forward.

1 Like