[IC] Palm Desert 1968 - DSA Arabic sub-legend keyset

First of all, lovely colorway and I’m glad that someone is making a keyset with Arabic sub-legends.

I have one question, is there a reason why “Left” is “يسارا” instead of just “يسار”?
Just curious about the reasoning.

I hope this keyset becomes a reality!

1 Like

I love the second layout (IBM PC Arabic layout) even though my iPhone uses the Apple Arabic layout. I like how every Hamza “همزة” is on one of the keys. You can get to them without having to use your shift key.

1 Like

Will be adjusted prior to production :+1:

Just as another note for something to be adjusted before it goes into production, the “QWER” keys have the shift layer showing shadda attached to the harakat for fatha and kasra, but shouldn’t the shadda be under the shift layer for the tilda ~, and the QWER keys should just be the the harakat with no shadda?

Couple local keebs with accents around shadda.

Pressing shift Q in Arabic, on PC, will only bring up the fatha, if you want shadda you still have to press shift tilde and then proceed to add the accent to it from shit QWER. Now that I think about it, I think the shadda is there to illustrate if the accent is a fatha or kasra type of deal, under or over shadda

Yeah, I get that the shadda is showing if it’s above or below, but it just feels wrong to include the shadda with it. In Word, if I type a short vowel without a consonant it gives me the following:

Something like that instead? Or even something like the following:Screenshot%20(4)

Either one of those feel better to me than using a shadda there. Thoughts?

The circles look like what mac does, not sure how much I personally like the dashes either to be honest. Most pc keyboards I’ve seen with Arabic have the shadda. It doesn’t look aesthetically displeasing or anything having the extra character there, I would prefer that over circles or dashes, visually.

It’s been a little while since this post was updated.

Sample set was received recently. Attached is a photo. Please keep in mind colors might not be 100% accurate, and vary slightly from screen to screen. Overall we are pretty happy with how this sample has turned out. Obviously there are a few things we are discussing and updating before finalizing. Figured it would be a good time to show our progress so far though, cheers! :slight_smile:

Pictured here on a Norbaforce MarkII with Palm Desert finish.

5 Likes

Wow! Those legends look really good. But what’s up with that Fn key? :slight_smile:

I don’t read Arabic, so I don’t know about that part, but the Latin Alphas look great. Lovely set. I’ve recently swapped my 3 norbatouches and my norbaforce over to DSA caps. I think it’s my all-time favorite profile. Zero degree incline with DSA caps on 45g topre. Heaven.

1 Like

You have good taste, my friend.

1 Like

you make such beautiful colorways, I only wish you’d do them in an OEM or cherry profile, want this set so bad but can’t stomach DSA, also still dreaming that one day Topre keycap GB’s will exist.

1 Like

@Sour has at least a few really nice GMK kits to his name

2 Likes

certainly, Wasabi is one of my favorite sets, but Palm desert has that GMK sandstorm vibe but with a little color differentiaton between the alphas and mods as well as those sweet sweet arabic sub-legends. a man can dream.

1 Like

Ryan and myself spoke quite a bit about the profile this was going to run on, between the SP PBT offerings. Ultimately decided DCS did not really match the look and feel we were going for with this debut.

3 Likes

DCS also has truly awful acoustic properties.

2 Likes

shame, I know you’re a proponent of visiting the factory and seeing the caps so GMK is out of the question, but is there no drive or interest in making OEM or a closer to cherry profile at SP? you would think with GMK backlogged for over 18 months they would have some interest, or would the cost of the molds exceed the percentage of their sales that the mech community takes up to be viable?

They’re aware of this issue and are working on some important upgrades, but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to talk about specifics. Suffice it to say, however, that they won’t be ready for some time, so I’m not doing any planning around it. :wink:

1 Like

I’m a patient man. long live SP

1 Like

At long last, the GB page is posted. :slight_smile:

(Moving discussion over there.)