[IC] SPACE65 custom 65% keyboard

Hi, everyone. I’ll show a new design of 65% keyboards:SPACE65 ;D.
Here is a short IC form of SPACE65,Thank you for your reply: Graystudio SPACE65 IC

Space65 is inspired by two great feats of my mind in 1977: Apple II Computer and Voyager 1.

Apple II:

Voyager1:

In appearance, I want to design an ancient and modern keyboard.At the same time, it must be very distinctive.

Now I have completed the design, and below are some details of my design.

On the top side of space65, I followed the wide sides and the concave design of Apple II`s keyboard (Details on the left and right sides).

Render:

On the bottom, I want to design as concise and smooth as possible and have characteristics.So I made an asymmetrical design on both sides.

Render:

On the back, I designed a nameplate that almost runs through the whole keyboard. And there is a convenient wing to pick up it.

Render:

And a RGB LED light strip on the left side(Made of acrylic by CNC).

Render:

I am a little worried the overall effect is not perfect, so I quickly completed the proofing to test the effect of SPACE 65(Especially the effect of RGB).

But after receiving the sample, I found a very obvious mistake.

Its about logo,I want is the concave effect by laser(reference render).

Then I got the keyboard,I found its the white mark of laser carving.

TOP CASE:

LIGHT STRIP:

BOTTOM CASE:

NAMEPLATE:

CARBON PLATE:

The effect of switchs:

With SA caps:

However, the overall effect seemed to be good enough…

So,now it deeply troubled me, I am struggling which looks better(about the white mark of laser carving or Depth of carving).

In a few days, I will proofread again,then compare the two effects.

Other details:

Case material:Anodized Aluminum 6061

Plate:Carbon fibre.

Angle:5 degrees

PCB:Bootmapper;two RGB LED light bars;Switch LED Position:South

Colors: Black , Silver, Gray, Blue, Red(Up to now)

What do you suggest for SPACE65? So hope you could provide it to me, and then we can better finish the design of SPACE 65.

Effect of with keycaps.

13 Likes

Personally I would swap the exterior bottom case design and the interior case design. I think the minimal/mysterious waveform design on the back would be both a conversation starter and would look beautiful from afar. It would become more of a show case of the product rather than an ad.

2 Likes

I agree. That graphic is way too interesting to hide :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I agree with this.

Also, the design makes me think of a smartphone haha

1 Like

The bezels also remind me of a phone, looks good.

Great design, really unique. I have to admit, I thought it was a completely flat keyboard at first and got a little excited since ergonomic, non-ortholinear keyboards are rare. Still, that wouldn’t stop me from buying it. Keep up the good work :+1:

How to say, the two logo at the bottom is actually to echo the two concave shapes on the bottom.
I tried the way you said, but it didn’t work well.That make elements on the bottom will be somewhat isolated and not so good.

1 Like

Ahaha,head sculpture looks nice!.
This is a low-key and steady beauty.

Probably because the ratio is a bit long.

Thank you. Thank you very much for your interest in this design.This design is like mobile phone should be proportional problem.

I’m digging this a lot. Definitely something different and unique!

Really digging this especially since the PCB is bootmapper. What’s the angle of this since it looks rather low/flat.

EDIT : oopsie . . . just saw it, 5 degrees. Would be good if the angle could be increased

Would love to see an MAO white version of this.

1 Like

Will carbon fiber be the only plate option?

1 Like

I really like the overall look of the board but I think the amount of text could be reduced or moved to other locations. For example the side that says voyager 1 could be moved to the back with the Space65.

will the plate and pcb suppport an ISO enter?

hi there,i’d love to see an usb-c type interface on pcb,will you add it?

Will the light bars be programmable?

Fresh design. I can appreciate it. :smiley: Lots of different parts on this one.

Thanks!

Aye, it’s 5 degrees.
About firmware,I decided to use qmk …