[IC] the Heavy Grail: a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

To be fair the cost is very high for this one, I have three norbauer cases and understand the quality, I will probably pass on this because I don’t think I need/would use a tricked out hhkb and the cost is too high for it to be something that would more just be cool to have for me than something I would really use.

On the other side just popping in with “too expensive” with no justification really adds nothing to the discussion.

7 Likes

Kinda off-topic, but when’s the 23U case scheduled to run? After the 980C housing?

Correct. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Lord @norbauer, since your new venture into the realms of injection molding, would you maybe consider giving a try to making mx sliders?
Think about all those ruined Novatouch :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Some really good sliders would be so nice to have.

We have topre cases now, custom topre-compatible keycaps, bke sliders, Gondolindrim is working on a custom hhkb pcb. We are getting closer to fully custom topre :smiley:

2 Likes

I want MT3 profile in Topre mount. I’m not holding my breath, but wouldn’t that be great? Yes, yes it would.

1 Like

Even if Drop has an exclusive right to the MT3 profile, I would bet the Topre HiPro style keycaps Mr. Norbauer is working on might scratch this itch.

1 Like

:thinking:

3 Likes

Apologies @norbauer ! And by that I meant, “I would bet the [rumored to be Topre High-Pro style] keycaps Mr. Norbauer has [alluded to, but been purposefully not revealing too much about] might scratch this itch.”

2 Likes

This would be phenomenal if true. Topre hi-pro is such a great profile.

2 Likes

Been following the development of this for a while, finally made an account to throw in my support! I think this will finally get my HHKB to endgame status.

Really looking forward to matching my Hipro HHKB with maybe a white K2 or black anodized finish Heavy Grail!

Wonder what color/finish would go best with 108UW Justsystems caps…

1 Like

Deskeys are also working on Topre MX sliders.

1 Like

I’m getting more hype ab this by the day. The HHKB layout has ruined my brain completely.

I got a Norbaforce and couldn’t get used to the layout of the 87u. Can’t wait to have that norbauer polish on my favorite layout :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve heard that too and and haven’t wanted to step on their toes by making a competing product. Happy to have them trying to tackle this problem rather than me, honestly. Theirs will be a lot cheaper than mine would be anyway since they’re in China. Here’s to hoping that they’re able to solve the tolerance issues that have bedeviled previous attempts.

8 Likes

I have a Topre Realforce 104UG HiPro, and I don’t ever use it: its high profile keycaps make it (so much) more wobbly and noisy than my HHKB with its standard keycaps (blanks in my case).
I also have the MATT3O /DEV/TTY MT3 (which are also Hi-Profile), and for the same reasons, I don’t use them in my mx keyboards.
Also, I don’t feel the high profile is user friendly for a touch typist.
I prefer a low profile, preferably the cherry profile, for touch typing.

1 Like

I can now confirm that you can use the HHKB Pro 3 Hybrid models with the housing in addition to the Classic models. You just would be giving up the battery/bluetooth functionality. Happily, this means if you already own a hybrid model and wanted to upgrade it with to a wired Heavy Grail, you don’t have to buy a whole new HHKB to be compatible.

13 Likes

Have you tested the silenced (HYBRID Type-S) models as well? Doesn’t seem that it would make a difference, but I don’t own one (yet), so don’t know how the silencing is done.

The more details that come out about this, the more excited I’m getting.

1 Like

I unfortunately don’t have one on hand to test with, but it would be just like putting silenced sliders in a normal HHKB housing. I guess the sliders would just stick slightly more from the housing?

Any idea if there will be room in the housing for us to attempt to use the ydkb or hasu bluetooth mod? I understand the metal construction may hinder it but I’m still keen to give it a go.

Also are you still aiming for a July launch? Love your work, been following it for a while but this is the first time I actually have a suitable donor!

Do you think that if the demand becomes overwhelming that you will cut the GB short?