[IC] the Heavy Grail: a Norbauer housing for the HHKB

They should be the exact same, just an extra small button on the right side of the hybrid, incorporated on the cavity of the case, so it’s weird that the hybrid wasn’t compacible from the beginning

1 Like

Me waiting for the GB

giphy

4 Likes

The suspense is palpable :nerd_face:

1 Like

I can’t speak much on 45g vs 55g Topre, I’ve always just used the 45g that came with my Pro 2. But have you looked into any of the BKE Redux Domes? They offer a lot more tactility from what I hear and have tons of options to pick from, with BKE Lights being I think close to 55g (but if i’m wrong someone else here I’m sure can correct me!).

Admittedly I do think they’re sold out at most places and are hard to come by but it could be another option worth looking into.

I have the Realforce 87u with 55g domes, keys feel awesome (very tactile) while gaming/general use but my fingers do get tired when typing for long periods of time. IMHO if you type a lot I would avoid 55g, 45g is probably better suited.

I think misclicking is the result of personal technique and increasing the weight of the domes won’t really help.

At the end of the day, people’s fingers/joints have different strengths and so 45g might feel great for some, and 55g might feel great for others. I believe some even like 35g, which is why Niz keyboards started off at 35g since their designer thought it was the best weight.

If you think 67 is too heavy, and 45 is perfect, then odds are - that is exactly what it is.

Personally, I also always wanted to try 55g, so I ordered a used 55g Realforce recently, lol.

Just passing the time, waiting for an update on the upgrade to the best keyboard ever

3 Likes

Everything is all set at this point except I’m waiting go hear back from the machine shop with updated pricing on the 5-axis housings. (Metal commodity prices have changed somewhat since I got the original quote and wanted to confirm that we were still in the same ballpark before setting final pricing.) I sent that request on Wednesday afternoon, so I expect I’ll likely get an updated quote on Monday or thereabouts.

9 Likes

I also recently bought a second-hand 55g Realforce. I owned a variable weight Realforce before, and I felt sort of cautious about owning a 55g, but once I had it on my desk and began using it I started to discover that it’s pretty enjoyable and that my typing is actually more consistent. Topre was my first love within the hobby, and I daily’d a stock pro 2 for nearly a decade. I don’t know how I’ll manage the money as a poor student, but as a long-time hhkb lover and collector, I’m going to get the heavy grail and dedicate one of my pro 2’s to it.

obviously depending on whether they get back to you on Monday or not, do you think the pre-order will be available end of next week?

I’m actually hoping early this week, as early as Monday afternoon (Pacific). I basically have a whole spreadsheet prepared for calculating the retail cost and just need to plug the final housing machining cost into it and I have what I need. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

sweeetttttttttttt

will this be an unlimited group buy, or should I start writing my bot script (sarcasm).

Well, that’s actually an interesting question. The response to my survey has been shockingly huge, so if I got anything close to those numbers, I might have to do something like ship these in batched tiers, based on sequence in which orders were placed. I have the infrastructure in place these days to be able to accommodate all orders placed during the GB period, whatever the number, no problem. But anything past a certain quantity and I think it will take the machine shop longer than my anticipated ETA.

So my plan has been to keep a close on the GB numbers as we go along and, if we blow past my anticipated capacity for the target ship date, then I’ll update the expected ship date on the product page and that new ETA will apply to anyone who joins the GB after that date. This way everybody knows that they’re getting in for. So, yeah, definitely some slight advantage to ordering early, but I wouldn’t go to the trouble of writing a bot. (Not that I have any objections to selling keyboards to bots—as long as they’re good for the money and promise to lube their switches properly. haha)

Anyway, all of the above is another big reason why I wanted to get some updated numbers from the machine shop before launching. I want to get a better sense of the ways in which varying quantities might affect delivery timeline, since my survey numbers suggest I might have well underestimated demand when I got their initial quote.

11 Likes

Ahhh, I can’t wait to see what the color options are!

Here is my Heavy-6 in Retro Refrigerator. I can’t wait to see the colors offered :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Have you determined what finishes you’ll be offering yet?

Yup!

K2

texture white rear cover plate

VHS

Aperture

texture black rear cover plate

Sunset Blvd

Veracity Steel

texture black rear cover plate

The switch plate will be offered in ABS in both white and Norbauer Pink (a new color I’m using on all my packaging and printed ephemera as of last month.)

18 Likes

:hot_face: WOW, all the options look gorgeous!

EDIT: I just want to say – Thank You – because I’m speechless, can’t stop looking at it!

4 Likes

Stunning!!!

Oh man the most difficult decision is going to be the choice of finish

1 Like