[IC] Topre Dolch

I had a brief discord exchange with KBDfan’s public rep in which I expressed interest in them doing a Dolch colorway of their EC mount Topre profile keycaps, they seem amenable to the possibility if enough interest is garnered so I turn to all of you, would you like to see some PBT reverse dye-sub Topre caps in a Dolch colorway? I assume they would most likely want to do a larger base kit similar to EC 2048 that just sold out on their site, this would provide compatibility for most if not all Topre boards. Please fill out the Interest check

This is my first Keycap interest check, please give me notes or feedback either here in this thread or in the form itself, I’m simply a man with a dream.

4 Likes

Good luck with this! It would be nice to see more key cap options for topre.

2 Likes

I’d be interested if the set can accommodate an 87U, including the weird left control key.

1 Like

Filled out the IC but I’ll say it here as well. Please consider adding a 2nd 2.25u shift to the base so it has compatibility for 660Cs! Other than that I’m very interested in this set!

3 Likes

leggo my eggo

2 Likes

Nice, but they need to fix their molds.

Their current EC keycap offering are too small in the X and Y axis, as compared with stock Topre keycaps.

This causes that, when the keycaps are installed in a board, the spacing between keycaps to be too visible. That’s really ugly, IMHO.

2 Likes

I was interested in your claim because I hadn’t personally experienced any such gap myself so I wipped out my EC 2048 and took some photos the first is just a photo from a little higher up that seems to indicate they’re the same size. the next is closer and centered over the gap between the 2048 caps and the normal black caps below, and the last one is centered between two rows of default caps for a size reference at the same distance…

Sorry for the flash its the only way to clearly photograph the gaps in between the rows of black default caps. I hope this illustrates my point, maybe you could provide some photos of what your talking about or elaborate a little?

@BeefSupreme what colorways are you interested in?

@mrp I’m unsure what you’re referring to, I only have a n HHKB currently and photos of the realforce 87u seem to show the control keys having all 90 degree corners, I believe this is going a little over my head.

@Rob27shred Certainly, I’ll update the IC photo, thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Shouldn’t you have support for the common 6U Topre spacebar? (HHKB, RF87U)

3 Likes

right you are, I will fix

That spacing was mentioned in reviews for the 9009 version from KBDFans : https://www.google.com/amp/s/brianlee.blog/2019/01/18/review-kbdfans-topre-9009-pbt-dye-sub-keycaps/amp/

Maybe they have improved the molds for 2048…

2 Likes

it seems to me as though they have fixed the issues, I believe I have demonstrated the size issues have been solved, all of my keycaps (at least the ones I use on my hhkb) click on, and I have experienced no misaligned keycaps due to rotated stems or any other reason. maybe other people with EC 2048 can confirm or refute my findings though? I only have one set.

1 Like

The left control of the 87U is oriented differently to accommodate the LED for caps lock. Note the different “tabs” inside the cylinder:

I bought a set of EC 9009 from kbdfans that didn’t come with the correct left control. (IIRC, there was a separate kit for 87u compatibility that was sold out when I bought mine.)

I ended up using my stock control with the 9009 set instead, which is suboptimal.

The kbdfan sets are not perfect, but I liked them well enough to use in place of stock caps on my daily driver for 18 months.

1 Like

I now see what you are referring to, thank you for the picture, I will discuss this with them. hopefully they will understand.

this is so cryptic, Huey have you been abducted? 1 eggo for no 2 eggos for yes

1 Like

Very very much interested. I’ve been looking for this for so long, but I do hope that the molds for this set would be better than what KBD is producing. Don’t get me wrong, KBD’s current topre caps are ok, not perfect yet not that bad also.

I’ve been looking at the Dolch R5 yet I do use a topre keyboard as a daily driver, specifically a HHKB, this would definitely help soothe the itch.

1 Like

Count me interested. I own both an 87U and a HHKB and often switch between the two to not let either build up dust. I’d love for this to go to fruition.

1 Like

the interest on this thread has been great to see, we’re hovering around 50 responses to the survey so far and its seeming very positive! I believe I’ve fixed most of the compatibility issues listed in this thread and in some responses to the survey, I guess now I just wait and see if more people show interest.

1 Like

seems like this thread and IC is basically dead at 50, thanks for the interest folks, looks like its game over here.

1 Like

That’s a shame. Always look forward to more EC caps.

me too, I’ll try reposting a link on reddit I guess, see if I can get some more eyeballs on it :confused: