Informal Silent Switch Comparison

OK, maybe it’s just my ears but, following a thing I saw in this video about Haimu switches (Best Silent Switches. No rubber required. Haimu Heartbeat Linear | Whisper Tactile Review - YouTube) suggested by @Deadeye, I’ve created 2 small holes in the bottom of a spare Outemu Silent White, lubed and filmed as the others I’ve installed on my IK75 and… you tell me if you notice something or maybe it’s just my brain
(sorry for the quality, not the best one, I know)

Test 2, maybe you can hear the differences better (sorry for my breathing :sweat_smile:):

2 Likes

Is the first stock and second with holes?

This is one of those times where an audio frequency response graph might be useful. The recorded switches sound different in the way things might sound different with your head pointing in slightly different directions or being farther or more near to a wall; subtle, hard to describe, but indeed not quite identical.

Hard to say if that’s just the inevitable difference from slot to slot, or if the holes do change the sound in their own right. It seems like they would at least a little bit, but it’s close enough that it’s hard to say without some science involved.

There are frequency response graphing apps for smartphones, like Keybored uses in some of his videos; you could try capturing some of those with the modified and regular switch occupying the same slot(s), and seeing if there’s any notable differences in prevalent frequencies shown on the graphs.

1 Like

@Deadeye Hi, do the Skyloong Glacier switches have spring or leaf ping? Because Skyloong gives me the impression that their switches are low-tier and might have the usual spring/leaf ping.

Their translucent blue housing already gave a bad first impression to me hahaha.

I would say that they have leaf ping (or maybe it is spring ping?), it differs a bit from switch to switch but my rose red are pingy imo :pensive:

1 Like

Is it noticeable at typing distance or just noticeable at ear distance?

It is noticable at typing distance. I assembled the keyboard with them yesterday so I haven’t used the switches much yet

Another note on the switch, the top out is louder than bottom out

1 Like

Well, that’s disappointing to hear. I have Wuque Studio silent tactile switches with me and they have leaf ping too :frowning:

Haimu whisper has similar mentions on ping and top out sound too, seems to be in general with these Haimu manufactured silent switches

1 Like

Hi there - I have to agree with @normano about the Haimu silents.

They’re novel and interesting but do have an audible ping. The top-out is maybe a little less sharp that it otherwise would be, but not nearly as dampened as the bottom-out.

Adding a film of grease on the moving and impact surfaces can take the edge off, but not eliminate that ping and tick, at least with the tactiles. With a light enough spring I’m sure you could make the linear ones silent, but that may not be an acceptable trade-off.

Replacing the spring can remove a lot of the ring, but there’s a chirp that comes from the leaf that I haven’t been able to remove, only reduce a bit. I’ve found this to be true of the Skyloong Glacier Rose & Brown (PC housing) and the Haimu Whisper (Nylon housing).

The Moondrop Tessence tactiles are also Haimu, but not silent - they don’t have any ring from the spring, but the leaf chirps a bit like the silent tactiles’ do. The nylon clack drowns it out for the most part. The Lunalight linear, on the other hand, doesn’t have any of that - just clacks with some swish in between.

3 Likes

In that case, should I just stick with Outemu Silent Grey? It doesn’t feel as great but at least there isn’t any ping…

Have you tried the full-silent version of the Bluish White? It’s pretty clean - louder than Outemu silents in terms of bottom-out thuds (and a more firm, less mushy feel), but not as sharp as the Haimus on the top-out.

I’ve tried the half-muted (muted on bottom out) TTC Bluish White. So there’s a full silent variant? Does it have the same name?

1 Like

yep, I believe it’s referred to as the “Silent Bluish White.” I rather like them, too.

3 Likes

I really enjoy Silent Bluish Whites. I have some in the keeb I take to libraries/study rooms and they are great. Very silent without much effort put in; I put the stems along with the springs in a tub, shook around it with some lube inside, and boom, silent switches. I think lubing the leaf a tad better would have been better as there is a bit of ping from mine, but I think they are great overall.

2 Likes