Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

You should find yourself a Saturn60 and put a solenoid in.
A fellow swede did this :ok_hand:

BTW, just watched badseedtech’s review of class80 and I’m not impressed. Sounded like the solenoid couldn’t keep up.

4 Likes

I didn’t watch the video but I know without being adjusted properly, the solenoid in my F62 Model F behaves this way. There are a few settings you can alter to help it keep up with faster typing.

The Class 80 seems chunky and clunky… but that can sometimes be the vibe you’re going for. Again, I’ll regret not getting one, but I believe it’s just not worth the asking price plus shipping.

Man, if they would make a kit in plastic for $200. I’m in. All day.

1 Like

Oh man, yeah - Saturn60 is near the top of my most desired retro keebs list.

From what I understand it’s pretty normal for those solenoids not to keep up with fast typing - I’ll have to check out what kinds of changes can be made.

@pixelpusher This does kind of make me wonder if it would be simple enough to rig-up one of these in an NCR-80…

1 Like

I really don’t know. My Model F has a dedicated driver for the solenoid. I assume it’s needed, and then you would have to find a place on the PCB to connect to.

Well, I should say my model F “had” a solenoid driver. Remember, I released the magic blue smoke from it a while back.

1 Like

I picked up the Klippe e-ultrahot last month and that guy is really red. It just dominates everything on the desk. I saw they did a comparison between that and the Fjell and I must say, I’m a bit confused. That’s a very noticeable and distinct color difference, right? I’m liking the Fjell’s implementation way better. It’s almost glowing.

5 Likes

The Klippe almost looks anodized rather than electrophoresis coated, but I’m hardly an expert on finishes. It seems to let the light through to the bare metal, allowing it to define the reflectivity, whereas the Fjell looks to have opaque pigment coating the metal, more like I’m used to seeing with e-coatings.

As for this solenoid business, adding one to an existing keeb has definitely been done - the question is if I have the patience to troubleshoot it with my QMK n00b-ness.

2 Likes

On the topic of solenoids, there was a GB for the clunker, a 40% with a solenoid. It already ran and I think is fulfilled by now, but maybe there are some people selling theres or maybe some extras?

Here’s the oridginal sales page:

6 Likes

Oh I know the color of the Class80 is not really comparable, just saying I have purchased a lot of Red lately, including my current daily driver.

13 Likes

very nice pairing

2 Likes

That’s so nice dude. Dang.

1 Like

Just when I swore off 60 percents GOK has to go and put this out this IC -

12 Likes

$40 off HHKB classic models on Fujitsu website 9/27-9/30 only: Fujitsu Keyboards - HHKB & REALFORCE Mechanical Keyboards

3 Likes

Novelkeys official Ghostbuster keycaps just in time for Halloween!

5 Likes

We need a villain set too…pick your color palette:

4 Likes

bmmfg

4 Likes
4 Likes

Modifiers look pretty good to me. Wish the set had either a more classic or more unique colorway. I’m sure there will be others to come.

Yeah, it looks like Umbra Dolch to me. I do think that they have their legends figured out though. Their discord post encouraged artists to collaborate with them on new sets, so we may have a potential contender coming up in the space if their colors and kitting are flexible enough (well, provided that the legends, texture, and overall QA check out).

1 Like

Hibi finally releases a keyboard. It’s ok.

5 Likes

I’ve been following this project for a while now, and snagged a WKL case in the dusk colorway. There is a worldwide cap of 400, but by the designer’s own admission, will still be available to any who want it before the protos get built on stream in a week or so (the final round of protos had some delay which pushed the hype train back a bit). Granted there was a limited run prior to this and we’re in the hands of a couple streamers then. I think the design is gorgeous (including that beautiful sandblasted SS weight), and although it comes with a PCB, it’s designed to fit the now standard H60 footprint which in my mind, increases the value. He also offers a full or half plate in polypropylene which I had to grab.

5 Likes