Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Hmm. A bit higher than I was expecting.

1 Like

boxes came in the mail today. The click is muted and it’s funny to feel a clicky w/o much scratchiness. Going to put these in a board tonight and see how they feel to really type on.

1 Like

GMK’s new packing setup

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnruI6ZKVjV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

6 Likes

Wouaouh, that is impressive !

Cost of setting up a custom factory line needs to go down drastically, low enough for small factories to build within weeks. Like working with Legos.

This Macropad from Owlabs looks fun! Hadn’t heard of their Voice65 keyboard before - did anyone get that and liked it?

5 Likes

Ok, this is sooo cool. Just imagine this for keyboards!

7 Likes

Thoughts? These switches are so intriguing

So far I think they’re great. I haven’t actually fully built the board (it’s a solder board) but as others have said here. It’s a smooth switch with a non-obnoxious click. Pretty cool

2 Likes

I’ve been typing on the Cream Clickies for a few days; I think the only negative thing I’d say about them is they have what I’d call above average off-center resistance. Pushed straight down from the center of the cap it’s basically melted butter - but at extreme angles there’s a lot more resistance - maybe cold butter. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not necessarily full-on binding or scratchiness; think traditional Cream slip-stick, but more - likely thanks to more surface area to slip-stick against with the stem shroud. In typing, it feels a bit like the smooth resistance Momoka Frogs have, proportional to how off-center you hit.

I’ll also say there’s some minor but noticeable inconsistency with how smooth they are; I’d say most of them are pretty much the same, with the occasional less-smooth one. In my three boxes (100+ switches), so far I’ve found one with a more muted click - I’m guessing either the snap-cap wasn’t formed correctly, or may have gotten a touch of lube on the underside.

I’m finding them a little harder to acclimate to quickly than most other clickies, but I’d say this is mostly because my fingers are looking for that tactile confirmation to go along with the sound. If I consciously think, “okay, brain - these are linears” I type at near my normal speed - and either way, they’re quite satisfying.

5 Likes

Off-center resistance is one of the most important aspects in linear switches imo, smoothness is irrelevant when off-center press is not good, it can change the whole typing experience.

1 Like

GMK Sets on flash sale at Kono.

For a week, Hanami Dango is only $99. It’s a controversial set. The designer didn’t really know how to color match and never updated on GH. The end result is pretty close to GMK Camping, but with pink accents. More like a mix of Camping and Watermelon. It’s not a bad set at all, but far off from the original renders. Kono has some real photos on their site, but you can find discussion on the GH group buy page too.

What people expected:

Reality:

Also, if you are a Spongebob fan, GMK Star is only $119 for today only:

This one looks fairly close to the renders. Here’s a real photo from reddit. The purple and pink are good, but the green is a bit darker than the inspiration. Still look nice though:

The thing about both of these sets is that they are cheap, but the novelties are f&*#ing overpriced. If I bought the Star set, I’d definitely want the novelties… and they’re $68… and that’s on sale…

I might sit this sale out and just see if I can pick up a Star set with novelties a few months down the road for less.

7 Likes

Honestly I’m not sure what’s more appalling: the “normal” price of the base kit or the novelties (on sale or not).

1 Like

Ha, so I wasn’t imagining things - I clicked on the hanami dango link out of curiosity in my instagram feed and it was nothing like i remembered it looking like when it was first pitched back in the day. That is very unfortunate, I quite like the renders.

1 Like

Oh No, Kono!

1 Like

That’s Kono for ya.

1 Like

I had to look into this, kind of interesting that their response was “I was 18 and dumb”. I guess that means they are 21 and wise now?

6 Likes

Now this is something interesting.

While watching this video about a new silent switch design, that is noteworthy on his own, the reviewer notes that the silent switches, besides the new silencing design (plastic cutouts to be compressed instead of rubber), has 2 holes in the bottom.

So out of curiosity he drills 2 holes in the bottom of a CAP switch, which in my experience is high pitched and loud, and the switch got significantly quieter.

Video link directly to hole drilling part:

6 Likes

HEADS-UP: NovelKeys started shipping New Nixies.

Just got my shipping notification.

5 Likes

Excited to see what they sound like. I recently worked on some hyperglides to see if I could get them to sound nice, and they just don’t do it for me anymore. I’m spoiled by those long poles :slight_smile:

2 Likes