Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

SwitchOddities started selling Spring Testers

5 Likes

That is interesting. One of those obvious-in-hindsight kind of offerings.

I’m glad to see this but I feel like it’s difficult to trust that some of the folks covering keyboards have our backs when they’re partnering with vendors either as keyboard/keycap/switch/deskmat designers or just sponsorships.

3 Likes

If you missed out on SA 8010 extras when Mechs & Co imploded, ThocKeys has most of the sets in stock suddenly (minus ISO, 40s/ortho, and macro keys): SA 8010 Extras

1 Like

so weird. I was just looking for that set today randomly. It’s pretty much out of stock everywhere. But I don’t know if the 2 keycaps that needed to be remade are included.

Kinda weird how expensive they are though. You’ll find a kit here and there on other vendors for $10 to $20 cheaper. I even found the TKL set on ebay for $15 cheaper.

Oh, i see now… it says:

As huge fans of the SA 8010 colorway and the designer of the set Fredington, we wanted to help push the sales along so if the set had to be bought out during GB it would be easier for the vendors to do so. So we purchased (like every other customer) from the regional vendor at GB price, and we are now listing those extras for sale… at GB price.

1 Like

They discuss that quite a bit. Personally I thought it was an interesting presentation, but the task of regulating seems impossible. Maybe you could do some small things to make it better, but there is no incentive on multiple levels. Being transparent seems like it could be putting too much information into the ether as well. GMK specifically. The potential regulation would all come from unpaid, volunteer positions too.

As far as I can tell, the redo never happened, and was called off when people complained that the unfixed versions were fine and they didn’t want further delays. I received the two unfixed keys, and they look great to me.

1 Like

Already had overspent this month, but I really wanted to own these caps. I’ll just have to cut back later. Hmm. Need a reminder for this post in 2 weeks. Future me, you bought this set and you can’t buy the cool shit next month!

2 Likes

I’ve been holding off purchases so I can get SA Retro when it comes out. But each time it supposedly gets to about a month out from release, it gets pushed back another month. I feel like it’s perpetually been a month and a half away since I got into the hobby.

Terpentine = white spirit for cleaning keycaps.

My Magicforce68 with AFSA keycaps lives in the kitchen and sees a lot of abuse. I was not in the mood for pulling out all keycaps for a soap wash.
Instead, I gave them a quick wipe with white spirit. They look like brand new now and are completely degreased.

This zFrontier clearance sale is nuts. GMK Nord priced super low - beautiful JTK sets for like $50 - KAT sets starting at $40 for BoW or $50 for Katha. Even SP Strong Spirit is cut pretty low.

https://en.zfrontier.com/collections/clearance

1 Like

I don’t work for zFrontier I swear! I have been waiting for an IKEA themed kit for years!

Yay!

7 Likes

Hej!

4 Likes

Disappointing that they don’t have novelties/artisans featuring this guy

6 Likes

I ended up skipping the artisans. I didn’t think they were terribly inspired.

Upsell of keebmats

6 Likes

Vala Supply has a 40% off site wide! Even the super expensive Delta keyboard is 40% off ($629 down to $377!)… You can grab JTK Hyperfuse for $60 and a bunch of normally expensive SP keycaps for a steal.

8 Likes

Wow. Cool but not cool. I just checked. Bought 2 orders last week. Could have saved $100. Writing for a price adjustment. Wish me luck

3 Likes

40% off feels suspiciously high, do they have too much dead stock?

1 Like

An IKEA-themed kit without ÖÄÅ ?

Are you serious?

4 Likes