Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

It is nice to see another DSS set go up for pre-order. They are rarely used and I am not sure why.

5 Likes

Might have to jump on this one, I’ve been wanting to try DSS for a hot min & can’t wait too much longer as the future of SP is in limbo right now.

5 Likes

I def recommend having at least one DSS set in your collection!

4 Likes

found this neat wireless sofle variant from weirdo brand DOIO (their motto is apparently “Form China to the World” according to the bottom of the site) for $355

There are a few other color options:

I think the white one looks the best but I’d probably go for the black. The two downsides to it are being a little worried about this thing being compatible with any standard open-source versions, and the DOIO logo on the bottom is a real stretch for a brand nobody cares about.

4 Likes

Biip on his discord just announced KAT operator, an in stock KAT keyset that is quite nice looking and not extremely expensive for a novelty (and in-stock).
The novelty ? This is doubleshot PBT AND dyesub for the sub legends.

I do love the KAT profile, the Refine keyset I had was flawless and it was all reverse dyesub.
Is Keyreative back again in the game ?

2 Likes

I have DSS Late Harvest and it is a really nice spherical low profile keyset.

1 Like

Ha. I just come here to post this. I’m still on the fence with KAT. I think I like the sculpt, but the finish is a bit off-putting for me. My favorite texture is MT3 ABS, followed by glossy HSA and then the classic texture of GMK. KAT is a satin texture. It’s not exactly dry but it is quite smooth. It doesn’t feel right to my fingers. I would think that it’s an aversion to PBT, but I rather enjoy the texture of my older ePBT sets and that of PBT DSA sets from signature plastics.

3 Likes

This is for some reason a 2 shot set when it was originally made for dye sub (MT3 PBT). Have you tried KAT 2 shot? I have not but I assume it’s different from the feel of all-over dye sub sets. I could be wrong though.

Yes I bought the white on black set. It feels just like my KAM keycaps.

1 Like

Huh. Free shipping to the US is a nice surprise:

Drop has MT3 Operator Nomad Kit on sale for $59, which is also tempting…

3 Likes

this is a little bit more of a PSA but there’s a relatively cheap and good lead detection kit now. I wrote a lot more about it on cohost but you can skip all that and go to https://www.detectlead.com/ and get one for a fraction of the price of the latest expensive keyboard :wink:

I’m very curious to try it on the surfaces and tools I use for working on keyboards.

2 Likes

It’s like Pyga and Vior, but green!

It more or less follows the same naming convention of being phonetically adjacent to a natural object that inspired the colorway; in this case, emerald (previously pyrope garnet and violets) - and how about that clever typographical logo?

For some reason, this set makes me think of my grandmother’s secretarial office space - probably the green carpet my golf-loving grandfather had in the place.

8 Likes

I don’t know why I’m really digging that. Reminds me I’m still patiently waiting for Severance season 2

Saw this set just now on reddit, I am digging the concept and hope this comes to fruition.

GMK Gravity Well

3 Likes

Not to be pedantic (translation: I’m being very pedantic), but if that was a true gravity well, say on the order of a black hole, then it would be light on the outer keys, and dark in the middle. :disguised_face:

4 Likes

Maybe the well itself is just that dark one in the middle, and the rest are the accretion disk? :nerd_face:

3 Likes

That’s kinda hilarious. I really hope they pull it off with GMK

2 Likes

I waffled on whether to post this here or in the “hmm” thread, but ultimately I think this is interesting, not confusing:

I think it might also be a great case-study in regional trends; the first comment in the thread points out that despite whatever material quality and effort may have gone into such a design, that its referential nature may cause it to be seen as cheap. Now, I think they’re right - but I’d also add the asterisk of thinking that’s conditional, and that those conditions probably trend regionally.

Before I detail what I mean by that, I feel I should qualify something because this is still the internet and I’d like to keep things mild, no-spicy. What follows are light-hearted observations rooted in curiosity and affection for the international keyboard community and its diversity across the world; no value statements here aside from that. One of my favorite things about keyboards as a hobby is that many perspectives are brought together.

In terms of regional trends, I speculate that more people than not in the Western market would get the impression that first commenter mentioned: “this is a copy of something, and therefore inherently low in value” - then in the next millisecond they’d start to check out the thing itself and see all the details. In the West, there’s a high value placed on originality - both in culture and legal policy - so I don’t think it’s any surprise that the first comment on an English-speaking forum contains that impression.

On the other hand, I’d bet that more people than not in the Eastern market wouldn’t react to the referential nature of the design beyond how it sits with their personal tastes. It’s my understanding that both rules and values about derivative design are different in the East, and that instantiate craftsmanship is generally valued more highly than originality - so I imagine the initial reaction to this design would be different.

No interest in getting into any weeds that aren’t keyboard related here, I just find the human stuff adjacent to be fascinating. I think it’s really cool to see how creativity is expressed differently within similar media across the world, and that very much includes keyboards.

9 Likes

Wow I was really surprised to see the catch-ball system and the magnetic connector that QK has introduced to the scene. The catch-ball system being used on the side is smart in terms of keeping with the theme, as I would assume the original camera opened up along the side as well.

I wonder if this project might run into some legal problems (unless they somehow got permission from Leica to make this). They are, of course, explicitly stating that the design is meant to imitate Leica, so I wonder if Leica trademarks and design patents, and IP laws in the markets that they may intend to ship these keyboards, might pose legal barriers. Even just using that photo of a Leica camera (which looks like it just came from Leica’s website and would be subject to Leica copyright) in this sort of promotional marketing material may be a legal problem.

4 Likes