Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

This is fairly cool looking. But, dodging the whole Leica angle what is up with F13 75s?? There was another one posted here last night.

It’s obviously preference so I sound like I’m yelling at clouds but the symmetry of a non-F13 top row seems like it would fit an aesthetically minded-design like this. Especially with the board already having so many dang keys.

1 Like

The assembly of this looks to be extremely robust and would be excellent even with more typical (aka mundane) styling. I’d definitely be in favor of keeping the screen and the encoder arrangement.

I guess for me, I understand the appeal of the Leica styling, but as I’ve never even held one I don’t have that much of an appreciation for them outside of being a visual icon.

Now permit me to immediately contradict myself when I say I’d love to see someone do a take on the Nagra IV-S reel-to-reel deck that I’ve also never physically encountered. :sweat_smile:

Where’s that little “preference” rainbow gif anyway? :laughing:

5 Likes

Gateron has a new “speed” version of the Smoothie called the Silver Smoothie that actuates at ~1.2mm

3 Likes

This is probably the only “themed” keyboard that I’ve actually liked. I’d probably never buy it but it’s really cool.

1 Like

They’ve made an ABS version!

5 Likes

This keyboard is made for travel! It’s even got a loop for a carrying strap:

Disclaimer: do NOT carry your keyboard with this loop, but please record it and upload it for us to enjoy if you do.

4 Likes

Vala Supply having a 40% off sale today

5 Likes

From the renders, it looks like this loop is just a small piece that plugs into the side of the case (and not more solidly attached/integrated), so your disclaimer/warning is especially important.

Overall, I kind of hate it.

2 Likes

Same. Maybe I’m no fun but ‘another object contorted into a keyboard’ is just not… for me. I feel like there’s probably more delicate ways to homage the camera / brand. The leatherette color block is nice but with the screen and dials its one step away from just adding a fake advance lever

1 Like

I definitely get what you mean, I like when projects pay homage “properly” in a way. But I also really enjoy seeing ideas (depending on what it is) being forced to contort and mold itself into a certain way/object. I don’t have that close of a tie to Leica, but if I was really into Leica cameras I would probably pick this up. To me it seems really funny and impressive how many things they were able to cram and bring over from the camera into a keyboard form factor.

2 Likes

I think they go way over the top in trying to make it look like that specific camera, but what bothers me about the whole concept is that it seems to be unauthorized piggy backing on someone else’s brand and image. I don’t really have any interest in Leica cameras, but if I did, I would probably dislike the board even more.

1 Like

Players can put Kframe upright as a photo frame, hang it on the wall as a picture frame, or use it as a
Keycap tray display. At the same time, you can match keycaps of various styles and colors according to the keycaps in your hand, and you can also
You can freely replace the upper and lower covers, nameplates, and axis colors to achieve more combinations.

JTK Kframe keycap photo frame 12 colors 50 yuan

Summary

7 Likes

Kinda nifty idea. I like it.

4 Likes

There’s another GMK sale from DC but do keep in mind that some of the sets there have issues with crooked alt and ctrl keys.

SP Keyboard have pretty much kept their Cyber Monday sale prices and added some new things to it (like a 248 key set of DSA Hanna, all kits, for 75% off!)

It is as if they are clearing out all their pre-produced inventory.

The on demand Dye Sub prices are the same.

Also, grab bags are back - this time only in 5lb bags with ~1300 keys each!

3 Likes

Was looking for split ergo keyboards so I thought I’d include my research here for anyone else looking for the same thing. I might come back to this depending on how my decision at the end works out.

sofle guide: SofleKeyboard | A split keyboard based on Lily58, Crkbd and Helix keyboards

keyhive, $75 diy kit without a full case: Sofle RGB — KeyHive

ergomech.store, $330 for a full preassembled sofle with a case: Sofle RGB – Enclose Case | Ergomech Store

keeb.io $350 iris case: Iris Aluminum Case – Keebio

keebmaker has a full sofle with case for $289 but only has renders: Sofle MX Keyboard

I ended up rebuying another used red lulu (I sold my GB one a long time ago) because nothing else looked as nice and was available in red. This feels a little yucky because:

things that make you go hmm: I still really don’t like the decisions boardsource made to focus their development time on a commercial, closed-source GUI frontend instead of the open-source free solutions that are already out there. I wrote a lot more of this and deleted it. There’s more important things to be upset about in 2024.

Woah, apparently peg went open source! Really good news!

2 Likes

Somehow I missed this in-stock sale at KBDfans - I love this concept. Wireless, split HHKB!

And they use the battery bump for feet, which is pretty ingenious.

4 Likes

Speaking of splits, CannonKeys added pricing and more details to the listing page for the Altair and Altair-X by ai03.

Looks like $300 for the 4-row and $315 for the 5-row, with PCBs, plates, weights, connecting cable, and hard case included in the price. Wooden wrist rests and e-coat option will be extra.

5 Likes

Impressive pricing. I was assuming it would be a bit north of $400 with the two halves and weights.

3 Likes

Soooo so in for this one. Ai03 did it again

2 Likes